Forum-related question: Block user from PM?

• Level 5

This is a question about activity within the forums, not about Evernote itself. Today I got a PM from a user I've never seen before, inviting me to make a WhatsApp call to join the Illuminati and receive great powers. :o😝 I reported it, but does anyone know whether it's possible to block individual users from sending PMs? I poked around in their profile, but couldn't find a way.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, CalS said:

Don't know, but would blocking the user in general solve the problem?

I.e., "Ignore"? I finally saw how to do that, by hovering over their profile pic. Not outstandingly obvious, but I am now ignoring them. But does that only mean I won't get notifications if they (s)P(a)M me again, or that the system will reject their messages altogether?

Funny thing, I have no problem doing "social distancing" in person; I don't seem to understand it online. :D

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I.e., "Ignore"? I finally saw how to do that, by hovering over their profile pic. Not outstandingly obvious, but I am now ignoring them. But does that only mean I won't get notifications if they (s)P(a)M me again, or that the system will reject their messages altogether?

I'd assume it's specific to you and the other member.  Whether ignore is posts and DMs you may never know.  Them not sending another is just like it working.  Social distancing on line can be confusing as well.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, CalS said:

Social distancing on line can be confusing as well.

Amen to that.  On the original query - I had an 'odd' PM a while ago and reported it.  Didn't think at the time,  but don't we have the ability to flag a user as a spammer (as well as a single post)?  If I'm correct.  I'd imagine that takes that account off the board entirely.  Obviously not something you can test easily...

Just remember chaps <in a very British accent> "With great Power...."

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Ahem. I did try to find a way of flagging the "user" (perhaps a bot of some kind), but couldn't. Hence here I am.

My bad - I looked up the thing I found. If you go to the user's profile and scan down the left side of the page, there's a leetle green box which includes the word 'spammer'...

It's a bit like the Big Red Button (only greener) - there's this terrible temptation to see what would happen....  <evil mastermind laugh>

• Level 5
17 hours ago, gazumped said:

My bad - I looked up the thing I found. If you go to the user's profile and scan down the left side of the page, there's a leetle green box which includes the word 'spammer'...

It's a bit like the Big Red Button (only greener) - there's this terrible temptation to see what would happen....  <evil mastermind laugh>

Here's what I'm seeing. The only green buttons are the big ones at the top that say Follow Member and Message--both kind of the opposite of what I'm after. :blink:

!temp_cr.jpg

• Level 5

OK, yes, since I did ignore this user, they do show up there. Well, maybe this is all that can be done. So far I've heard no more from them.

13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

... or join the club, and change your user name to Dave-The-Enlightened 😎

Ohhh no, I'm not getting near anything that might get me called a guru! :D

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
On 5/25/2020 at 3:50 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The only green buttons are the big ones at the top

Hmmn.  Maybe I have a super-super-power... I'll post a screenshot when I'm back on Windows.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

...And I'm back.  Just found a small green cog if you hover over someone else's name that also offers the 'spammer' option.  Here's my (now) two options..

(Not picking on you particularly - I also tested this on a few other profiles)

1645298141_ScreenClip3.png.356d9eed93435a2de43eb3a7945bc150.png  

949781739_ScreenClip4.png.a78ea7ef0aba4a1ec1d2341780f26403.png

• Thanks 1