Set default formatting for notes

Does anyone know how to set the default formatting in notes? I have a preferred font and size for my text and I don't want to have to change it every time I open a note (or have to change any new text I add in a note after I already changed the existing font: sometimes any new text I add in is in the old default).

Thanks!

Kristna

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Kristna said:

Does anyone know how to set the default formatting in notes? I have a preferred font and size for my text and I don't want to have to change it every time I open a note (or have to change any new text I add in a note after I already changed the existing font: sometimes any new text I add in is in the old default).

Set up a template with font, size, ....

1 hour ago, Mike McGowan said:

On a Mac - Evernote -> Preferences.   Look for the "Formatting" Tab.
Windows - Tool -> Options.  Select "Note".

These settings define the format for default note display on the device
They do not actually apply a font, size to the notes themselves   
This actually works for me; I rarely define specific format in notes

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
47 minutes ago, gazumped said:

....and changing the default font doesn't alter existing notes,  it just affects new ones...

Not exactly my friend.  If a note is created with the default font it will change to the new default font.  Any text where the font has been willingly changed won't change to the new default. 

ScreenClip.png.9eac3e1897abb64c5a8b310bd73c6860.png         ScreenClip.png.15c8071bbb30bdd5a0bdefcf4c9fd1de.png     

• Like 1

This doesn't seem to apply to iOS.. if I create a note, set it to the largest font size, then save it as a template, then try to use that template, it doesn't appear to include the font size - I start typing and it is in the tiny default font. But if the template includes some text in the large font, then it is fine.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ObviousBob said:

This doesn't seem to apply to iOS.. if I create a note, set it to the largest font size, then save it as a template, then try to use that template, it doesn't appear to include the font size - I start typing and it is in the tiny default font. But if the template includes some text in the large font, then it is fine.

Never tried to create a template on IOS.  What I do know re PC desktop and IOS fonts is that drag and drop or text insertion on the PC, which looks fine on the PC, does not look fine on IOS.  I use PhraseExpress to insert some text into notes.  I insert using my default font of Roboto 10.  Looks fine on the PC but ends up as Times Roman on the iDevices.  I ended up modifying the phrases to insert the text and then remove format of the just added text to have the same view on both platforms.  PITA.

May not have anything to do with your issue, but I don't know that there is font consistency or whatever you might call it on IOS.  Hence the new editor and all the rest of the plumbing that is in the works I suppose.

• 9 months later...
Version:
10.8.5-mac-ddl-public (2367)
Editor: v118.1.15148
Service: v1.28.5
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

I'm working with the version of Evernote outlined above. When I go to Preference under Evernote I see this:

(See attached file)

There is no "Formatting Tab".

I would like to know how to set the "formatting" for ALL notes that I create in the future.

Thanks! Charles

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 5.36.44 AM.png

20 hours ago, cebellmd said:

I would like to know how to set the "formatting" for ALL notes that I create in the future.

In V10 there is no way to change the default formatting options. You can change the style of the four predefined settings (Large header, medium header etc) but that only works for the current note. The only way around I know is to make those changes and then save the note as a template.

• 5 months later...

I used to be able to set my preferred font and size. I can't seem to find a way to do that now. I am using a MacBook with macOS Big Sur v. 11.4. I'm sad that my options of fonts are all but gone, but I am really tired of changing the font style and size each time I create a note. How can I accomplish this change?

Thanks for your reply.

This new change sucks. I'm not very happy with the effort needed to have notes appearing the way I wish them to. Is there a way to let the "powers that be" at Evernote know of my dissatisfaction? Perhaps if enough people speak up they will revert to a more user friendly version.

• Level 5

You can use the feedback function build into the clients, or issue a support ticket.

Currently I see no activity by EN to change the editor. The new editor is at the heart of the new EN. I would be surprised if they would really be working on it so fast after the initial release.

On 8/16/2021 at 8:51 PM, hippiegypsy said:

I used to be able to set my preferred font and size. I can't seem to find a way to do that now. I am using a MacBook with macOS Big Sur v. 11.4. I'm sad that my options of fonts are all but gone, but I am really tired of changing the font style and size each time I create a note. How can I accomplish this change?

Create a new note and set up each of the styles (normal text, small header etc) as you want them. Remember to save them.

image.png.04d8645c3ed8abc5761019148eb86468.png

You can then delete all the text if you want to and then save the note as a template. Whenever you create a new note open the template gallery and click on your template. Two extra clicks so by V10 standards quite a quick work around!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5

If you don’t feel secure with templates, you can do the same simply with a normal note. Apply all the changes, close it and put it into shortcuts.

Whenever you want your special setup, click it and now duplicate this „master“ note.

Always use the copies, keep the master as a blueprint.

• Like 1