tables on the Web

Today I noticed for the first time that the Web beta is removing the background colors of tables. Is this a new development? I hadn't been aware of it before. 

It's rather distressing for those of use who use colored tables to get around the problem of the glaring white background of notes.

• Level 5

I haven't made use of the background color feature before, but now I'm testing it out to see. Does the color just disappear, or does it refuse to be applied in the first place? Also, what version of the beta do you have? Click your initial and account name in top left to see. Mine shows v. 6.10.0.

My EN Web version is 5.31. Do I need to bring it up to date? If so, how do I do that?

I've done a few further experiments. The background color that disappeared was in a table that I created originally in Word and then transferred over to EN and placed in the table menu. In other words, I inserted the table in EN Windows, but the color disappeared when I viewed the note on the Web.

However, if I use one of the standard colors for a table, there is no such problem. I interpret this to mean that custom-made tables are perhaps not going to be fully supported in the future.

• Level 5

Thanks for this report. I don't think there's anything we as users can do to update the Web beta versions we have. They may be different in different browsers on the same machine, and Evernote seems to be managing the rollout of new versions to each browser. Today, I've got v. 10.0.1 6.10.1 in Opera and 5.31.0 in Firefox!

It looks like you've figured out where the problem originated. I'm not too surprised that a table copied from Word, likely with some proprietary formatting, might have some of that formatting go unrecognized in the Evernote Web browser. Glad the standard colors are working, at least. FWIW, I copied a table with background colors from the EN Web beta and pasted it into Word, and the colors came through.

Edited by Dave-in-Decatur
Correction of error

Dave, I agree with your analysis. Now we can just hope that someday EN will provide improved background colors for tables: I long for a pale yellow or cream.

• Like 1