Hi,
I use my EN for my genealogy research. Is it possible to link to an EN note from within a Word / Text document?
I use a genealogy program, Brother's Keeper, to keep track of events in my ancestor's lives and store the research data in EN - I want to enter a link back to the note where 'proof' of the event is stored.  
Example. A text document with a link to an EN note where the source of information came from.
Brother's Keeper event - Charles Smith born 12 September 1849
Evernote - Charles Smith - containing a letter with Charles Smiths date of birth on it.

Doc
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, doctorkeo said:

Is it possible to link to an EN note from within a Word / Text document?

Yes, if your software supports links
I insert links to EN notes in my Calendar, Spreadsheets, Reminders, ...

I prefer to use the in-app link, but sometimes have to use the browser link

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, doctorkeo said:

How do I use the links and in-app link?

626575757_ScreenShot2020-05-02at8_04_33AM.png.f47727ca58ad2028235564125da8bff8.pngI'm using a Mac, and right click on the note in the note list
This is the browser link (in-app link if pasted within Evernote)
I can force the in-app link by holding down the Option key

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, doctorkeo said:

It does look like that is available in the windows version, only Copy Internal Link#

Thanks

image.png.35658b94ba3f6b31d1832132cc834b2d.png

That will work. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, doctorkeo said:

It does look like that is available in the windows version, only Copy Internal Link#

Since you are running EN Windows, I don't know how to do this in Windows, but on the Mac I have an AppleScript that will create a rich text hyperlink of the selected EN Note, using the Classic/Internal URL.  Much nicer than the long, ugly URL.  It looks like this:

How to Turn OFF Dark Mode in Evernote [EN Note] which uses the EN Mac Classic link like this:
evernote:///view/3010149/s27/1026879e-1aeb-4606-bd7b-4035f98a50a5/1026879f-1aea-4609-bd7z-4035f98a50a7/

I append "[EN Note]" to the end of the Note title so that I will immediately recognize as a link to one of my EN Notes.

NOTE:  The above link won't actually work for anyone as I've used a bogus classic link ID.

If anyone is interested in the Mac AppleScript, let me know and I'll be glad to share.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Since you are running EN Windows, I don't know how to do this in Windows, but on the Mac I have an AppleScript that will create a rich text hyperlink of the selected EN Note, using the Classic/Internal URL.  Much nicer than the long, ugly URL.

When you paste into another app after the Ctrl+Alt+L it appears as a link.

image.png.41339709f66f0a4ea726e16399c6c142.png

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, CalS said:

When you paste into another app after the Ctrl+Alt+L it appears as a link.

That's nice that Word Windows treats a paste of a link in that fashion.

It appears there is a difference between Word Mac and Word Windows, although I am running Office 365, so I'd expect them to be the same.

Of course, each app can choose to handle a paste differently.  That's why I like my Mac AppleScript, because then it always pastes as a rich text hyperlink into all rich text apps/fields.

There may also be a difference of what EN Mac and EN  Windows puts on the Clipboard.

• Level 5*

Something that could be improved on Windows is how you get to the note.  If you create the link by clicking on Copy Internal Link you get a https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/.... type link.  When you click the link in the app control is transferred to desktop EN through a browser. 

image.png.75b5e0f567c548244ac98828dda9933b.png 

If you hold Ctrl when clicking Copy Internal Link you get a evernote:///view/ type link.  This one you have to format as a link.  When you click on the link in the app control is transferred straight to the desktop but you get a Microsoft warning message.  

image.png.2d581f372c382d8b62f4e81f6f75416a.png

One might be able to eliminate the warning but I don't use EN links out of EN often enough to invest the time.  I use option 1 2 from now on after additional testing.  Maybe there's a better way.

EDIT:  Just tried the hold Ctrl key while getting the link again.  This time it posted as a link into Word.  Perhaps I messed up the first time.  Modified above post with strikethrough.  Also found the fix for eliminating the MS error message, Regedit stuff.  Option 2 from now on.

1. Hold down the Windows Key and press “R“.
  2. Type “regedit“, then press “Enter“.
  3. Expand the plus sign next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    • then Software
    • then Microsoft
    • then Office
    • then 16.0
    • then Common
  4. Select the “Common” key, select “New” on the “Edit” menu, and then click “Key“.
  5. Type “Security“, and then press “Enter“ to name the key.
  6. On the “Edit” menu, point to “New“, and then select “DWORD Value“.
  7. Type “DisableHyperlinkWarning“, and then press “Enter“ to name the entry.
  8. In the right pane, right-click “DisableHyperlinkWarning“, and then select “Modify“.
  9. In the “Edit DWORD Value” dialog box, select “Decimal“, and then type “1” under “Value data“.
  10. Close Regedit and restart the computer.

Thank you - That worked great with MS Word, and I've tested that on a text note, which is what the genealogy program uses for notes attached to events. The only slight problem is the address in the text box is not clickable - but does work okay if I copy that address into my browser. That will really help link my source documents back to the events.

Thanks again

Doc.

I've tried TinyURL - which helps with large web addresses in text note