Write tag to note title (or note body)

Hi Evernoters!

This is an amazing community, and I've had a look around, and I can't seem to find how I do this. So I'm appealing to your collective generosity, and considerable expertise! Hopefully someone can help.

I need to export a whole lot of notes as HTML, and still have them searchable by the tag that was originally given in Evernote. I'd love to do this with a script of some kind. I'm having a lot of push back inside the company to just use EN (dammit!) :(

Example: Anything tagged in Evernote as "freelance-2017" and "tax-2017" needs to have something like "freelance-2017 tax-2017" added to either the end of the title, like "Power St Apartment Project freelance-2017". Or we can add "freelance-2017 tax-2017" to the very end of the note. It just needs to be any text that we can search for as part of the HTML project.

I'm generally on a Mac but I can jump on a Windows 10 or Linux box if that help.

Thanks for any help you can offer :) It's very kind and I'm extremely grateful,

Adam

• Level 5*

I'm not a Mac user, but some of my colleagues here seem to do a lot with scripting;  I'll leave them to comment on that aspect.  Other than that the only thing I can think of depends on how many tags you're talking about.  The third-party app Filterize can (among quite a few other things) process batches of notes and add prefixes and suffixes to titles.  They also have a kind of 'mail merge' feature which can carry out a standard operation based on a table.  So you could set up a table with your tag names in two columns,  and set up a 'rule' to say: "If a note has a tag listed in column A,  add the equivalent term from column B to the title."  (The two entries would both be the same tag.) 

You'd need to create the table,  set up a rule,  and then search for all the notes you want checked - good news if they're all in a specific notebook.  Apply a single random temporary tag to all the notes so that they get synced back to the server,  and Filterize will then run your rule against them.

You would be able to add bells and whistles like automatically removing the temporary tag after processing / adding another tag to confirm the note has been exported...  whatever operations you might need to add. 

https://filterize.net

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, Adam Horne said:

I need to export a whole lot of notes as HTML, and still have them searchable by the tag that was originally given in Evernote. I'd love to do this with a script of some kind.

I export to HTML as part of my daily/weekly backupsspacer.png
As you can see in the screenshot, the tags are exported in the HTML code (!Type-Journal)
I can search for this tag1330563817_ScreenShot2020-05-02at6_59_27AM.png.ead6d9eea3813969347dfafd9c8885ac.png

I can write a script to append the tags to the title

I've also thought about converting the tags to OS file tags, but the scripting is complex

>>Anything tagged in Evernote as "freelance-2017" and "tax-2017" needs to have something like "freelance-2017 tax-2017" added to either the end of the title, like "Power St Apartment Project freelance-2017". Or we can add "freelance-2017 tax-2017" to the very end of the note.

I actually do both with AppleScript on my Mac
    1718924398_ScreenShot2020-05-02at7_12_43AM.png.0fc6da1ae65da500dd2f34a6a249057f.png   1789850817_ScreenShot2020-05-02at7_13_08AM.png.7e311b75b347788fb7b0918cc4080f74.png

You guys are #$%^&* AMAZING! Evernote should be paying you all. Thanks for all your help.

After much experamentation (my girlfriend's becoming a stranger) but I worked out that all I needed was a simple Applescript:

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

tell application "Evernote"

set TagList to tags

end tell

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

From there I just needed to clean up the output - there was a whole lot of cruft around the actual tags: {tag "stencils" of application "Evernote"

But thanks everyone! Long time lurker, long time learner :)

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Adam Horne said:

set TagList to tags

This will develop into     set TagList to tags of theNote
and you have to identify theNote

Something like    tell application "Evernote"

set theSelection to get selection

repeat with theNote in theSelection
                                        set TagList to tags of theNote
                                     end repeat
                               end tell