Text wrapping and column width for clipped articles

aurora446

Idea

When I clip articles in Simplified article format (or any other format for that matter), the note in the desktop client no longer uses the full width of the note. Instead of seems to be set within a preset column width. The effect is articles that look like this:

image.thumb.png.013c9a5178275e16537776e39ee9cc22.png

Instead of something like this (made manually):

image.thumb.png.6feef8f4a8396c5d3f3d0213c340e9d2.png

• Like 1

15 replies to this idea

Yes, I've noticed this too, though in my case I have the opposite problem. I tend to keep Evernote at the left side of the screen in a fairly narrow shape, and when I clip using the simplified article format, it means that the text runs off the right side and becomes temporarily invisible. In other words, it does not automatically reformat according to the width of the Evernote window.

I'm using Windows 10 and have no idea whether this happens in other operating systems.

• Level 5*

Just about every simplified reader I've used attempts to remove the noise and creates a thinner column of text/images centered in the browser window.  Some do better than others relative to representing the page but all center the result.  EN simplified article seems to emulate that behavior.  But I'm with you it would be nice if the thinner column was justified to the margin.

In the meantime, sometimes clipping in article format will do the trick, text from margin to margin, particularly if you are using an ad blocker of some sort.  FWIW.

EDIT:  Another thought, sometimes I use the Copy selection shortcut key in EN (Tools - Options - Shortcut keys).  It tends to preserve the content of the clip and does margin to margin display.,  But sometimes it can be squirrelly as well.  🤷‍♂️

• Level 5*

Bumped into another method to get a clean clip with margin to margin display.  I started using the new Edge browser.  A shock to me since MS browsers have not been up to par with others.  This new one works well IMO. 

Anyway, the new Edge has an immersive reader option.  If you click on that, do a Ctrl+A to select the text and then use the Copy selection shortcut key from EN you end up with a clean note with margin to margin text. You can adjust the font size (smallest displayed below) and background color in the immersive reader.  Two caveats, there is a slight background hue at the "whitest" setting and it is a few more clicks.  I kinda like it vs Simplified article.  May test on the next Simplified clips to see how it goes.  FWIW.

image.thumb.png.e14aca40d93fe82647c7597b8918274f.png

• Level 5

I clip using the Simplified Article setting fairly often, and I don't have this problem, which makes me suspect that it may be specific to a particular Website or browser. @aurora446, are you able to test whether other sites or other browsers work better?

If not, another option is to edit the clipped page in the Web beta editor (https://www.evernote.com/client/web). It has good tools for editing Web content. See my post here:

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I clip using the Simplified Article setting fairly often, and I don't have this problem

I don't know Dave, every time I clip with simplified article I get centered text with air on both sides. 🤷‍♂️

ScreenClip.thumb.png.9afee49c899880447ff1f428b8565a94.png     ScreenClip.thumb.png.4f768d87d1b8cc3e1923e4e0c63e5fd5.png

• Level 5*

To be clear, my typical sequence has been EN clipper - Article and if that doesn't look good, EN Clipper - Simplified Article, occasionally throwing in a highlight - Copy Selection.  Immersive reader may or may not be a better option to Simplified Article.  With it being such a wild west with web page code having another tool in the pack doesn't hurt.

And for the technically adventurous, export the note to ENEX, open with Notepad, find width:36em; and delete it, save, drag file back into EN and it should be margin to margin.  Delete the original note at that point.  PITA, but seems to work for me.  Best option obviously still is for EN to modify the clipper.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, CalS said:

I don't know Dave, every time I clip with simplified article I get centered text with air on both sides 

And I evidently never get that, because I don't remember ever having to deal with it. Might be browser specific? I use Opera. FWIW, below are screenshots from a simplified article clip of the top of this thread. Apart from the images, text itself wraps properly.

!evernote temp 1-medium.JPG

!evernote temp 2-medium.JPG

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

FWIW, below are screenshots from a simplified article clip of the top of this thread. Apart from the images, text itself wraps properly.

Must be opera???

ScreenClip.thumb.png.7ec30700c4b2cf3854e460a5b6cd0af0.png

I realise that the issue is just the column margins and nothing to do with wrapping at all. For some reason it doesn't start at the left hand edge and continue until the right hand edge before wrapping. 

If I type a note in there manually it does. Seems like a bug though since that isn't the expected behaviour when clipping.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Strange. @CalS, is that in Edge?

Yup,  or Brave or Chrome or Firefox. Per the above post there is actual code in the ENML which causes it.  Remove the code and you get margin to margin display. Too much time on my hands in these troubled times.  🙄

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, aurora446 said:

@CalS What is ENML and how do I remove code?

ENML is the version of HTML that is used in Evernote notes.  Per the above post with a bit more detail.

1. Export the note using ENEX format to the desktop
  2. Open the ENEX file with Notepad
  3. Ctrl+F and find width:36em
  4. Delete that text including the ; after it
  5. File - Save and exit Notepad. 
  6. Drag the ENEX file back into EN and the note should be margin to margin.
  7. Delete the original note and the file on the desktop.

PITA, but seems to work for me.  Best option obviously still is for EN to modify/provide option for the clipper output.  Not so much a bug as a design decision, matching most reader views I suppose. 

• Like 1
On 4/30/2020 at 12:03 AM, CalS said:

ENML is the version of HTML that is used in Evernote notes.  Per the above post with a bit more detail.

1. Export the note using ENEX format to the desktop
  2. Open the ENEX file with Notepad
  3. Ctrl+F and find width:36em
  4. Delete that text including the ; after it
  5. File - Save and exit Notepad. 
  6. Drag the ENEX file back into EN and the note should be margin to margin.
  7. Delete the original note and the file on the desktop.

PITA, but seems to work for me.  Best option obviously still is for EN to modify/provide option for the clipper output.  Not so much a bug as a design decision, matching most reader views I suppose. 

Thanks CalS, it works fine. But I guess it would be hard to batch update or set it as a general setting.

For the browser issue, I believe it actually depends on when Evernote update the add-on. And apparently chrome and firefox got updated before edge and opera. The latest edge got the width issue at the moment.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, toothless said:

Thanks CalS, it works fine. But I guess it would be hard to batch update or set it as a general setting.

You are welcome. 

You can batch update if you are careful:

1. Move the notes you want to adjust to a temporary notebook, best to do by notebook for ease of adding them back. 
  2. Export them all to an ENEX file. 
  3. Open the file with Notepad. 
  4. Press Ctrl + H and enter width:36em; in the find field and nothing in the replace field and hit enter. 
  5. Save the file and import into a local notebook in EN. 
  6. Scan the notes to be sure they look okay and then add them back into your notebooks and delete the temporary notebook.

Or just update them as they appear in your day to day working with EN.  General setting is something EN needs to address.

• Like 3