Change the password for text encription

Gerard S

Idea

Hello,

is there any way to change the passowrd used to encript/decript text in the notes ?

I have entered a too simple password the first time just to try out the encription and now there seems to be no way to change it.

Thanks in advance,

Gerard.

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Gerard S said:

Has anyone figured out how to change the password to encrypt/decrypt text once set for the first time ?

Help is appreciated !

No mass method as far as I know.  On a one at a time basis right click on the encrypted text, select Decrypt Text Permanently, re-encrypt.  Then be sure to remember the two passwords.  ;)

image.png.9a6f08c39ef1d8c3489c2ddb469281a1.png

You can search for encryption: to find all notes with encrypted text, FYI.

Thanks @CalS for your reply. I could not reproduce what you suggest. That is, I cannot decrypt permanently and then re-encript with another password. Even if I could, the original problem would still be unsolved, namely, how to change the password that was set the first time. Best regards.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Gerard S said:

Thanks @CalS for your reply. I could not reproduce what you suggest. That is, I cannot decrypt permanently and then re-encript with another password. Even if I could, the original problem would still be unsolved, namely, how to change the password that was set the first time. Best regards.

You are welcome.  You could get the Decrypt Text Permanently dialog to appear?

Hi @CalS.. yes I can Decrypt the text permanently. That eliminates the encryption on the chosen text. However, when I re-encrypt, no new password is requested but instead the one I introduced the first time is used. Best regards.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Gerard S said:

Hi @CalS.. yes I can Decrypt the text permanently. That eliminates the encryption on the chosen text. However, when I re-encrypt, no new password is requested but instead the one I introduced the first time is used. Best regards.

After you Decrypt the text when encrypt again you should get the dialog box as if you encrypt for the first time.  Enter the new phrase then.  Works for me anyway.

Decrypt.gif.ab6df9da4237c228fdad4c2d5b2413a6.gif

Hi @CalS.. oh yes it worked ! :)

The fact of that the "Hint" used for the initial password appears when encrypting new text confused me making me think that one must use the same password as before. I now realize that one may enter a new passphrase to encrypt the new text.

Thanks again!

G.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Gerard S said:

Hi @CalS.. oh yes it worked ! :)

The fact of that the "Hint" used for the initial password appears when encrypting new text confused me making me think that one must use the same password as before. I now realize that one may enter a new passphrase to encrypt the new text.

Thanks again!

G.

You are welcome. Need to be careful if you have more than one encryption password as to which applies to which.