Deleted Notes Restoring

The short version is I finish with a note, delete it, empty the trash and sync from my Mac the notes are gone, all is good. I open the app on another device and the previously permanently deleted notes now reappear. Even worse when I delete them from that device (and empty the trash) and re-sync, the notes don't delete from the other devices so I have to repeat the steps on three devices. I now am deleting the same note at least three times and considering anywhere between 3-15 felted notes restore each session I am spending more time deleting notes over and over than any other function on Evernote.

I have reported this forever six months with either the response "we need a screen recording of this happening", although I am not sure how to record notes being restored on multiple devices to "we are working on new features and can't address bugs right now". So they have given up on basic functionality?

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, JMBTX said:

I finish with a note, delete it, empty the trash and sync from my Mac

The master version of our data is maintained on the servers   
Confirm the notes are deleted using the web platform at www.evernote.com

For the other devices, make sure they are sync'd before you access notes

• Level 5

Never had anything like this - delete is delete. To me it sounds if there is a syncing issue between your devices.

As DTLow said, the master copy is on the Cloud Server, accessible by the web client. I would execute a delete on the Mac, do a Sync and then check the web client. If the Note is gone, extend this to the other devices, always syncing and checking. If not, the syncing issue is most likely between the Mac and the Server.

To clean up the Macs database, hold down the opt-key before clicking on the help menu. Use the submenu of the last point of the help menu (that is added by holding down <opt> beforsten clicking) to sort out database issues.

I appreciate the follow up but isn't having to log on to the web version to check if the note has actually be deleted just as redundant as deleting it individually again from each device, iOS or Mac OS? Just like having to check and sync each device before deleting a note from one? This issues happens every single time I delete a note or notes and between three different devices.

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, JMBTX said:

I appreciate the follow up but isn't having to log on to the web version to check if the note has actually be deleted just as redundant as deleting it individually again from each device, iOS or Mac OS? Just like having to check and sync each device before deleting a note from one? This issues happens every single time I delete a note or notes and between three different devices.

Good rule of thumb is to be sure to sync whenever you enter/leave a platform.  Desktop apps for sure and even though the mobile apps seem to sync soon after you make a change I still make it a habit to sync when I enter/leave them.  Makes sure the servers are current before you move on.  FWIW.

Yes, I sync after I am done every session, that is what causes the issue. I sync after emptying the trash and then logging out but when I log in to another device and it automatically syncs for the latest update, permanently deleted notes re-appear. I delete them, again, from that device but then they remain on any other device no matter how many times I re-sync. I have to then delete them again from each device. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JMBTX said:

I appreciate the follow up but isn't having to log on to the web version to check if the note has actually be deleted just as redundant

The suggestions were towards isolating and identifying your delete issue

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, JMBTX said:

Yes, I sync after I am done every session, that is what causes the issue. I sync after emptying the trash and then logging out but when I log in to another device and it automatically syncs for the latest update, permanently deleted notes re-appear. I delete them, again, from that device but then they remain on any other device no matter how many times I re-sync. I have to then delete them again from each device. 

Not the behavior that I see.  Whenever I delete notes they "disappear from all devices.  Whenever I empty the trash the trash is empty on all devices.  Syncing in, syncing out.  As Premium you can submit a ticket to EN since what you are seeing isn't normal.  

• Level 5

@JMBTX Nobody says you should repeat this procedure any time you delete something.

You obviously have a syncing problem if a deleted note is not withdrawn from all devices. The procedure proposed should allow to identify if your problem is with "up syncing" from the Mac to the server, or with "down syncing" from the server to other devices. My 5 cent are on the up-sync.

If it is that, there should be a problem on your Mac. If solved, syncing and deleting should work as it does normally.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. Evernote Support verified this is an issue and a know bug that is not being addressed in the foreseeable future. My options are to continue to delete the notes repeatedly or log in to the Evernote Web service after syncing the Mac app but before opening any iOS apps to ensure the notes are not restored after deletion.

• Like 1