How can I open an attached Excel in Evernote App

How can I open an attached Excel in Evernote App.

I want to open it with the Excel app installed on the iPhone

Currently I can only view the Excel in Evernote. The Excel app does not open when I click on the Excel attachment in Evernote

Is there a solution?

• Level 5

The only way I have found is to open a copy of the file in Excel.

Open it in Evernote, click on the share-button in the top right corner, choose „Open a Copy with Excel“ from the icon bar.

Once you are done, you can share it back to EN, but only to a new note created with that file.

Probably the sandbox design of iOS prevents opening it directly.

• Level 5*
On 4/18/2020 at 12:37 AM, reoe67 said:

Fact: Attachments can not be edited while embedded as an attachment in the Evernote database   
          They exist as a database object; I think the type is BLOB (Binary Large Object)
They have to be exported  as a copy > edited > then re-imported

The export/import is completely automatic on the Windows/Mac platforms  
and a manual process on the IOS platform      

My work-around is to switch  from an attachment, to a linked file stored on the iCloud drive   
(my spreadsheet app is Apple Numbers)

• Level 5

My experience is different: On the Mac, using the „Open with...“ menu position it is possible to open a file, edit it, and on closing it in the editing app it saves back with the Changes to the attachment file in the EN note - at least it sometimes does it.

If this works seems to depend on the File and program combination used.

• Opening an Excel sheet with numbers attached to a EN note did not allow to save it back (using the „Close window“ command).
  • However when I opened the XLSX-file in LibreOffice, when using the „Close“ command, it asked me whether to save changes. When I hit „Save“ the window was closed, and changes were written into the attachment file in EN.
  • Maybe this happens because Numbers does not have XLSX as native file format. When I ran the same test with an original numbers file, it worked: Open, edit in numbers, „Close“-command. It saved the changes to the numbers file attached in EN.

Conclusion: To directly edit and save the changes to an EN attachment, you have to use the right program for the file type, and use the „Close“ command instead of other methods to exit the editing. 

On Windows I did not try, my PC is at the moment not running. But I think it should work similarly.

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

My experience is different: On the Mac, using the „Open with...

As I said, the export/import process is automatic on the Windows/Mac platforms   
A folder is used as temporary storage while the file is being edited

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, reoe67 said:

Currently I can only view the Excel in Evernote. The Excel app does not open when I click on the Excel attachment in Evernote

Is there a solution?

Can't open within EN on iPhone.  As stated above you can store the file on a cloud service and then IMO it is best to just open the file using the Excel app on the phone.  You can put a link to the local version of the file in a note in EN which will open Excel on the local machine.  A bit kludgy but you do get access on both platforms.