Web Clipper for MS Edge and Firefox has a new look!

• Level 5

Hi all, 

We’re excited to share that we’ve updated our MS Edge and Firefox Web Clipper extensions with a new and more modern user interface. All of the features and functions you know and love are still there, just with a refreshed look and feel. 

Update today and let us know what you think!

MS Edge

Firefox

As always, feel free to start a thread if you have feedback, or you can reach out to me directly if you have any other questions!

• Shane D. featured and pinned this topic
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, markeh said:

Fix the problems first, then the paint job.

In general, sure, and clever metaphor, but sometimes the engine mechanic is busy when the bodywork person isn't. Not saying that's what happened, but in the real world, not all developers are equal.

• Ex Employees
12 hours ago, logandb said:

Is there a list of the Web Clipper keyboard shortcuts somewhere other than within the extension itself?  Hard to clip them from inside the clipper!

Good point. We're on it!

• Like 3

The behavior of the new Webclipper in Firefox 75 (Windows 10 prof. x64) is annoying: it does not start immediately when you click the Webclipper button and therefore does not clip the desired page. Only when I deactivate and reactivate the webclipper on the AddOn page it starts clipping the desired page(s).

In addition, like the previous version, he NEVER finds related notes, although this is set.

Why does it now need extra permssions (on firefox) to have read and write access my local clipboard?

That is a huge security and privacy no-no.

I can think of no concevable extra features related to clipboard read and write use.

When clipping an article on the web with the Firefox new web clipper as a "Simplified Article",  I get a big problem. The problem is caused by the way the above option is making an article appear in the note in Evernote: which is in the center of the note, instead of taking a whole space available to it. When I chose Tools => Simplify Formatting to make the note text take the whole available space, some line is inserted across the note that I can't get rid of. At first I thought that it might be caused by the fact that this particular note is long, but when I clipped the short  note by following the same steps("Simplified Article"/Tools => Simplify Formatting) the line was inserted again. When I clip the note using an "Article" option in web clipper the note takes all available space and no line. The line is prevalent across devices: Windows and Android. This line is not a rule that gets inserted sometimes.

web_clipper_error.thumb.png.724fefa39ede8c78d72bc984f99a609d.png      

Here is the links to the note file exported in ENEX and HTML formats:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dtOrtdHk9JKucvFm05ODpBHQJwcCtaVf/view?usp=sharing - ENEX format
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XL2h0d9AgWlrAz_UdO9Z7FNRkOwHIKR-/view?usp=sharing - HTML format. 

In html format exported file the line appears across the image.

Update: If I select Remove Formatting first on the clipped simplified article and then chose "Simplify Formatting" then note takes all available space and no line. However, If I select "Simplify Formatting" directly then the line is getting inserted.

Hi @Shane D. I agree with @timoc:

On 4/20/2020 at 9:34 AM, timoc said:

Why does it now need extra permssions (on firefox) to have read and write access my local clipboard?

That is a huge security and privacy no-no.

I can think of no concevable extra features related to clipboard read and write use.

I think that you should only use the minimum permissions needed and you should also explain what permissions you need and why in the description of the Firefox extension.

Otherwise, I won't install it.

Thank you,

On 4/21/2020 at 9:08 PM, keisoko said:

When clipping an article on the web with the Firefox new web clipper as a "Simplified Article",  I get a big problem. The problem is caused by the way the above option is making an article appear in the note in Evernote: which is in the center of the note, instead of taking a whole space available to it.

An ancient problem

I have the same problem, and it is ancient.

It seems to me that some of the "formatting" of "simplified articles" was hardcoded into the client rather than into the note itself, which made further simplification (applying "simplify formatting" on a "simplified article") at one point in the past completely impossible and stopped me from using it.

Nowadays it leaves (I'm using the Windows client) this spurious line. This is more usable, but still annoying.

But the mileage on "simplify formatting" in various clients seems to vary, also depending on releases. Sometimes "simplify" does leave a weird mess. And for instance in the Windows client it still leaves section titles that are obviously formatted with some "heading" formatting setting not accessible in the Windows client.

Workaround: Use the web beta editor

As a workaround, I started resorting to the Web Editor Beta, allegedly a beta of the codebase for all further clients. It is in my experience much more robust both for editing and simplification. It also does not show the spurious line for simplified articles to start with. It also shows simplified articles at the width selected in the client, rather than a "hardcoded" width. So I think the problems will be going away in the medium to longer term, which is good.

(I'm using Windows public release and Web Beta Editor (~5.31) updated, and am not in the beta program.)

The Web clipper app has stopped working for me in both Firefox and Safari.

And I can't login at the website.

The app did work some on Firefox for me - but is again not working at all.

This is not a problem on my end.

This is something that's been done on your end.

I have always found that Evernote doesn't work at all in my browser. I use Firefox. Going to Evernote gets a stream of notices that scripts/extensions are "causing Firefox to slow down". These are common extensions (Ghostery, for on, Zoompage for another) that work everywhere else. If I could only use Evernote with Firefox the product would be worthless for me.

===

Actually, trying some more, Evernote really just doesn't work in Firefox - my regular browser. Works fine in Chrome - my browser to avoid.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't work. When I tried it yesterday, it gave error messages about third-party cookies (no chance I'm enabling them). I uninstalled it. When I saw this post I thought I'd try it again, but now I can't even get to the third-party cookie error message, because when I click the icon, a window pops up and disappears, and nothing else happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 5:20 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi all, 

We’re excited to share that we’ve updated our MS Edge and Firefox Web Clipper extensions with a new and more modern user interface. All of the features and functions you know and love are still there, just with a refreshed look and feel. 

Update today and let us know what you think!

MS Edge

Firefox

As always, feel free to start a thread if you have feedback, or you can reach out to me directly if you have any other questions!

Windows 10 64-bit fully updated

Unfortunately, the Web clipper for both Firefox and Chrome don't work in private / incognoto mode. The information about the Firefox clipper in the addons manager says 'Not Allowed in Private Windows'.

I have several sites which I need to access regularly and save sections which I must run in private mode : please get this clipper fixed asap !