Not finding SEARCH feature helpful

I really have a hard time finding what I want using the Search feature. 

My results always say so-and-so was found in several notebooks. OK. So, why do I have to click on the ALL NOTEBOOKS link, why can't EN just show me those results? 

I find the "matching" and "words starting with" options confusing. Is there a detailed tutorial or detailed guide I can access on using Search?

Annotation 2020-04-04 212319.jpg

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, ChipAHoy said:

I really have a hard time finding what I want using the Search feature. 

My results always say so-and-so was found in several notebooks. OK. So, why do I have to click on the ALL NOTEBOOKS link, why can't EN just show me those results? 

Typically this results from searching in a notebook/stack context that doesn't contain all matches for your search. It's showing you notes from that context, which is nice if you specifically want to search that context. The fact that it offers up suggestions as to other places to find matches is nice as well. If you want to start with All Notes, you have to select it first, or start your search using the F6 shortcut, which selects All Notes, then puts the cursor in the search box.

17 hours ago, ChipAHoy said:

I find the "matching" and "words starting with" options confusing. Is there a detailed tutorial or detailed guide I can access on using Search?

Means exactly what it says: it's matching words starting with "dogs", so "dogs" would matchm, as well as "dogsled", but not "doge". Two references: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-How-to-use-Evernote-s-advanced-search-syntax and https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Laura Josepha said:

If I search for 'tent', I want the search results to include 'content'.
I can't find a way to search for a term, where the words do not necessarily START with that term. They only have to include that term. Can someone help me?

This is a known limitation of the text search indexing - only words beginning with the search term

>>but but but.....?

There are various requests to improve the search feature; example linked below
To indicate support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Like 1