I am running Catalina 10.15.4 and Evernote 7.14.

I have my ScanSnap iX500 setup to scan directly to Evernote.  Every time I scan something, Evernote puts the new note where I want it (do to) but it pops up the note in a separate frame (as if I just double-clicked on it.)

How do I get it to stop?

thanks in advance!

• Level 5*

Hi. We're a (mainly) user-supported Forum so as soon as someone has anything useful to add they probably will.  Meantime I'm not a Mac user,  so no real knowledge here.  Have you checked the options/ preferences in your scanning software to see if there's an 'open note after scan' choice you can switch off?

• Level 5

Scanning works the same with me (Catalina, 7.14), and it pops new Scans open just the same.

Sorry, have not found a way to avoid this, not in the ix500s Settings, and not in EN. Maybe I just overlooked an option ...

• Level 5*
On 4/3/2020 at 1:44 PM, Jordan Thompson said:

I am running Catalina 10.15.4 and Evernote 7.14.

I have my ScanSnap iX500 setup to scan directly to Evernote.  Every time I scan something, Evernote puts the new note where I want it (do to) but it pops up the note in a separate frame (as if I just double-clicked on it.)

How do I get it to stop?

thanks in advance!

May not have anything to do with it, but there is an option on Windows to create new notes in a new window.  Is there such an option on the Mac?  Again probably not related, just spitballing.

• Level 5

I thought as well there was an option. But because I use both clients, maybe it was on the Windows version.

Both client has its their own history, so for me it is using on which machine I am in that moment. Can create a confusion when it comes to the finer options.

• 11 months later...

Hi all! I'm still having this same issue. I LOVE evernote but...this is SUPER annoying. If I have a stack of documents to scan (many are lease agreements or contracts of 20-30 pages), evernote pops up a new window for every note. After a while evernote slows to a crawl and I have to close it. Even if I click the "Close all Notes Windows" periodically, it still seems to suffer. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Again...LOVE Evernote...just need this very little annoyance addressed. Just a switch to say..."Scan quietly" or something. 

THANKS!

• 10 months later...
  • Level 5

Personally I use the import folders feature with v10 on my Mac.

It works fine, just importing and creating a new note from every file I drop into the import folder.

The workflow is to scan on my ix500, have it OCRed and opened with ScanSnap Manager. I then edit the file name (which will become the name of the new note later) and rotate or delete pages from the scan. Then I have the path set to my import folder, and save the file there.

The import folder function grabs it within seconds, moves it into EN and creates a new note, containing the scan as attachment.

Or, Evernote could fix this issue they broke (along with the countless others) when they moved to the absolutely horrible current version.  My workflow is to just scan directly into the app.  I am now running the legacy version because it is SOOOOOOOOooooooo much faster!  I can scan a 150 page document with my ScanSnap and as soon as the last page is finished scanning, it is ready to scan the next one.  The document is immediately transferred into the legacy Evernote app and I can tell when the app is updating the cloud because the update icon spins.

I was running Evernote on my mac and gave up.  It was one of the reasons I switched to Windows

• Level 5

The scan is running into ScanSnapManager without a delay either. This does not depend on EN. The OCR goes on for a few seconds after the scanning has stopped, but that is normal.

I could send it right into v10 as well, but found this strategy causes rework. Because the file name of the scan will be cryptic (at best), I need to go back to the new note and change the note title to get anything that makes sense. Still the file name of the attachment will be cryptic.

It is more efficient to rename the scanned file right away, and send the result into EN. So I switched to use the import folders - it simply is in total more efficient than to scan directly. I do not care how fast the scanning moves, as long as I get my result the fastest way possible. BTW, the sheet feeder of my ScanSnap ix500 only holds 50 sheets …. and feeding more while it runs will make it choke.

Import folders on the Mac: New feature, thanks to v10.

The v10 app shows the syncing status with a little message bottom right of the program window. Usually it says „all changes have been synced“, it briefly changes while a sync is ongoing. It syncs really fast. If I want to make a manual sync, I type cmd/ctrl-R (Mac/Windows), or use an option in the extended help menu.

Since you don’t use the v10 app, you may not be aware of the many improvements it constantly gets. The Mac (Windows) app is now on 10.29 - one release every 2-3 weeks. This app is moving fast - it probably took 5 years for legacy to reach the same number of release cycles. I use legacy only as a stopgap for a few functions any longer, rarely and honestly without joy.

Since the Windows and Mac clients are virtual twins, there is no need to change the OS just because of different EN feature sets any longer.

7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The scan is running into ScanSnapManager without a delay either. This does not depend on EN. The OCR goes on for a few seconds after the scanning has stopped, but that is normal.

I could send it right into v10 as well, but found this strategy causes rework. Because the file name of the scan will be cryptic (at best), I need to go back to the new note and change the note title to get anything that makes sense. Still the file name of the attachment will be cryptic.

** That is why I scan directly into the Todo folder.  I can then edit the note name at my convenience on whatever device

It is more efficient to rename the scanned file right away, and send the result into EN. So I switched to use the import folders - it simply is in total more efficient than to scan directly. I do not care how fast the scanning moves, as long as I get my result the fastest way possible. BTW, the sheet feeder of my ScanSnap ix500 only holds 50 sheets …. and feeding more while it runs will make it choke.

Import folders on the Mac: New feature, thanks to v10.

The v10 app shows the syncing status with a little message bottom right of the program window. Usually it says „all changes have been synced“, it briefly changes while a sync is ongoing. It syncs really fast. If I want to make a manual sync, I type cmd/ctrl-R (Mac/Windows), or use an option in the extended help menu.

Since you don’t use the v10 app, you may not be aware of the many improvements it constantly gets. The Mac (Windows) app is now on 10.29 - one release every 2-3 weeks. This app is moving fast - it probably took 5 years for legacy to reach the same number of release cycles. I use legacy only as a stopgap for a few functions any longer, rarely and honestly without joy.

Since the Windows and Mac clients are virtual twins, there is no need to change the OS just because of different EN feature sets any longer.

1) That is why I scan directly into the Todo folder.  I can then edit the note name at my convenience on whatever device I have at the time.

2) I slide more pages into my ScanSnap 500 as it goes along

3) I did try the latest app (on Windows) and I have to agree that it is MUCH faster, but the legacy version still beats it hands-down

4) There were plenty of other reasons to switch from my Mac to a Windows laptop 😉

• Level 5

Scanning directly into v10 is possible as well - I just found it inefficient, for the reason noted. You need to use ScanSnap Home and set up profiles to scan directly into EN.

When I put more paper into the sheet feeder while it is running, it invariably gets stuck, and needs a manual intervention. I did it in the past, but find it cleaner and more efficient to run each batch for itself, and join the pdf files later through software.

Legacy is a native app, sure it will be faster - but it is a dead product, not supportable and not supported any longer. Existing workflows may be continued, but I would not start anything new on legacy, and have a solid Plan B not relying on using legacy.

I went the other way, can’t imagine ANY reason to move to a Windows PC from a Mac, and I am still on an Intel MacBook Pro. I think looking at the ARM MacBooks the scale has tipped even more to the Macs since. These are the only business level notebooks that will support a full day of heavy usage without needing a charger. They just show how inefficient the Intel machines are - basically Intel PCs (and Macs) are electrical heaters with a little computing overhead.

• 3 months later...

This is still an issue on mac. Every single new scanned note opens in a new window and it's infuriating. No options/preferences to turn that "feature" off on the mac. I have to use the legacy evernote app all the time because it's better than the new one. Besides the constant new window issue the new one doesn't show the entire pdf by default and you have to click on each one to show it (because again there's no option/preference on the new mac version) and you can't edit the documents like you used to be able to do with the legacy version - now it opens as a new file and you can't save/update the original (like if your pdf has an extra blank page you want to delete).

• Level 5

You are alone with being infuriated - nobody will / can do anything about it. You have decided to use a software declared end of life, and in my opinion by insisting on scanning directly you produce the note popup yourself. You don’t „have to use“ legacy, it is your own free decision (nothing wrong with it) to do so.

I have described above how to setup a workflow using modern ScanSnap software plus the import folder feature available with v10. You could even install v10 just for this single use case, and continue with everything else on legacy if you decide to. v10 would sync to the EN cloud server, and legacy would draw the new scans from there.

Bus as I say, you decide yourself about your setup - if you stick to what you know, you know what you get.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5

@No_Display_Name_Wanted As mentioned, there are several ways to scan into EN.

You don't mention how you intend to scan, so no help possible.

Furthermore this thread is located in the "legacy" Mac section of the forum. I doubt you have the legacy client installed on your new Mac (you would be utterly disappointed, because it's plain broken in the recent MacOS releases).

Your best next step would be to open a new thread, in the correct subforum, and describe the problem you have with scanning (OS, client version, scanner, process).