Siri Shortcut: Appending date to a predefined Evernote

I have a situation where I want to log events to a predefined note in Evernote. When I create the straightforward example

image.png.2a7fe02f9540956fd369e16355de0ce8.png

the result looks like: calshow:597514937

This is a classic case of “Artificial Stupidity”: Siri has given me the answer I asked for but not the answer I want. “calshow:” is a non-specific reference to a calendar app and “597514937” is the number of seconds since Jan 1, 2001. So, Siri has dutifully printed a reference to now that is universally understood in iOS and completely meaningless to a human being.

The fix introduces an extra step. We create a variable “Clop” containing the Current Date. We then use the Evernote “Append” command. This coerces the variable into text and we get a result a dumb human can read “12/20/19 08:23”. The formatting can be changed clicking on the “Renamed Item” and specifying it there.

So the total shortcut looks like: IMG_FF44B9AF71B9-1.thumb.jpeg.56e3dcdda280188ed9c9a5a94cd8b883.jpeg

With “Renamed Item” formatted as:

IMG_76154FA3907F-1.thumb.jpeg.7bf0159186bf4ebf8e072e2cd03becc8.jpeg

I have found this useful when taking pictures. I can dictate a caption and match the time stamp when I get back to my desk. “Hey Siri, here’s a caption” and I’m good to go.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Lord Lillis said:

The fix introduces an extra step. We create a variable “Clop” containing the Current Date. We then use the Evernote “Append” command.

Thanks for sharing.  This looks very useful.

Now I just have to figure out how to create such a Siri Shortcut!