Tags with no notes

• Level 5*

Hi. In the Windows desktop and Android applications you should be able to see the numbers of notes connected by each tag on the 'tags' page. It's possible to view the '0' note tags and delete them there.  It's also possible to get an advanced Help menu on the desktop versions which (if I recall correctly) offers an option to delete unassigned tags.  (I'm working in the web version at the moment so can't check.) What OS and version are you using?

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, gazumped said:

It's also possible to get an advanced Help menu on the desktop versions which (if I recall correctly) offers an option to delete unassigned tags. 

There are a couple of delete tags under the advanced help menu, Ctrl+Help.  Never used them myself, not sure what Linked Tags are....

Image.png.772cd106d2b5f388d83cc486e7ad6a36.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Them's the banana - not sure myself.  Question I should maybe have asked earlier.. is it really important to find orphaned (?) tags?  Unless there are a LOT of unused tags they shouldn't be a major problem...

• Level 5*
Just now, gazumped said:

Them's the banana - not sure myself.

Maybe linked tags are relative to a shared notebook?  Can't think of anything else.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, M0sc4rd0 said:

Greetings from Italy,     is it possible to find all the tags that have no linked notes?

Greetings from Canada 🇨🇦

Which devices/platforms do you use?
I can sort tags by note count on my Mac and iPad

Screenshot from my Mac spacer.png469359528_ScreenShot2020-04-01at3_54_26PM.png.d9dd26b0eb59f84d36f849d2a4425862.png

Screenshot from my iPad          IMG_3567.thumb.jpeg.57c0bed9b01e5c2ffbe8b96bd3369b9c.jpeg

• Level 5*

For IOS at least you have to be patient for the list to populate if you have a lot of notes.  Also, if you have any tags which are only used in local notebooks they will show with a 0 count.  Be careful there.

Hi all,

thanks for suggestions. I did not know there is an advanced menu, this help me a lot. Very nice.

Du you suggest do not use one or more of the option here? Any contraindications?

Thanks

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, M0sc4rd0 said:

Du you suggest do not use one or more of the option here? Any contraindications?

Hi - this menu was meant to be used under instruction from Evernote's Support team,  which we very definitely are not. We're (or at least I'm) not even sure what some of those options actually do - so playing around is not a good idea. Some of the general 'fix' scans also take a long time,  so don't attempt any repairs unless you can leave the device for an hour or two.  I'd say you need a backup of your Evernote database folder before you start to use any of the options.  Just in case...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi - this menu was meant to be used under instruction from Evernote's Support team,  which we very definitely are not. We're (or at least I'm) not even sure what some of those options actually do - so playing around is not a good idea. Some of the general 'fix' scans also take a long time,  so don't attempt any repairs unless you can leave the device for an hour or two.  I'd say you need a backup of your Evernote database folder before you start to use any of the options.  Just in case...

The backup advice is good. But deleting unused tags is a way different operation than repairing a database, I'd guess the former is pretty safe, but backup anyways, because we should be doing that anyways.

• Like 1

To the original poster. I know if you click on "Tags" you will see a list of all the tags you have. Either next to or under the tag name you will see a number. That represents the number of notes with that tag. I know that the Windows desktop, Online, and Android version does this. Can anyone speak to the iOS version? 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Husky Logic said:

To the original poster. I know if you click on "Tags" you will see a list of all the tags you have. Either next to or under the tag name you will see a number. That represents the number of notes with that tag.

That's true enough, but if you have a lot of notes, it's not a lot of help, since you can't sort by # of tags (same for the Tags pane in the Windows application). So useful, but doesn't scale particularly well.