AZ.Jared

Feature Request: Updating a Web Clip

Idea

Hello,

I use Web Clipper with Wikipedia for gathering and grouping articles, I then tag the articles for later use.

It would be convenient for me if there was a feature in the application to update the Web Clip Note to the latest version of the article on Wikipedia without having to create a new Note, keeping my version in sync with their version without loosing the Note's info and edits, history, tags, remarks, etc.

2 replies to this idea

On 3/24/2020 at 9:13 PM, AZ.Jared said:

It would be convenient for me if there was a feature in the application to update the Web Clip Note to the latest version

Hi.  I'll move this to the general feature request thread since it seems to relate to all versions of Evernote.  Whatever support it gets there,  I can't see it being practical for Evernote - they'd have to monitor the website of every clip made by every user every day.  At a minimum that could be 200M queries a day with a lesser number of potentially large downloads for clips to be updated.  (And how would Evernote see differences between a clipped and much-annotated page and the current version?)

This would probably make Evernote very unpopular with every other web user as traffic ground to a halt.

It should be possible to cope with your requirement in normal usage anyway - clip a page and comment away,  then next time you need to use that note use the embedded URL to revisit the page,  and re-clip it into a new note.  Use a note link to attach that to your existing notes.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 2:13 PM, AZ.Jared said:

Hello,

I use Web Clipper with Wikipedia for gathering and grouping articles, I then tag the articles for later use.

It would be convenient for me if there was a feature in the application to update the Web Clip Note to the latest version of the article on Wikipedia without having to create a new Note, keeping my version in sync with their version without loosing the Note's info and edits, history, tags, remarks, etc.

A quick web search for tool to advise when a web page changes returns this 14 BEST tools for Website Change Detection & Monitoring (2020) and 5 Best Free Tools to Monitor Website Changes (2019).  I did not dive any deeper.  Maybe you could roll your own for this feature.  Not to be a wet blanket, but doubtful this is going to find it onto EN's priority list.  FWIW. 

• Like 2