Will Evernote have a decent to-do list?

I use Evernote for years and I'd love to concentrate all my work there. Today I have to use another application (like Asana or Notion) to build and control my to-do lists, which is not possible in Evernote. I have been waiting for a new version where at last Evernote would invest some improvements in to-do lists, but it didn't come up yet. Just a list of items with check-boxes doesn't work. If Evernote could have a to-do list where we could assign due dates, categories, priorities, recurrence, etc.. (like Asana, for example), then it would be perfect. Is Evernote willing to imperove this section of the application?

thank you,

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote could be a great mind mapping app if only it supported the graphics - and it could deal with images if only it had the same sort of tools as Adobe Lightroom - and calculations would be much easier if it handled formulae like Excel...  there's a limit to how much specialization it's possible to include.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
21 hours ago, rubemlucas said:

If Evernote could have a to-do list where we could assign due dates, categories, priorities, recurrence, etc..

Evernote is a generic storage app for filing notes/documents  (edit; with a great search feature)
There's no indication of an interest in expanding the to-do functionality

>>a list of items with check-boxes doesn't work
It works well for a check list

For task management, I use separate task notes.
The reminder feature stores due date, completion date/status
Tags identify categories, priorities, etc
Saved searches generate a to-do list;
- for example a sample current task list  reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*  

No recurrence; I use an AppleScript (Mac)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Evernote is a generic storage app for filing notes/documents 

@DTLow, I think you do EN a disservice with this statement.  Could be semantics but I find EN a great SEARCH tool for finding things electronically that I might otherwise not find in the paper world.  It is much more than a generic tool.

And I actually manage ALL my to do's with EN.  Not with classic lists, but by adding a reminder to a task note and using searches much as you.  To date I have 1,947 notes with reminders, 108 of which are unfortunately still open.  :huh:   Of course, horses for courses, this method doesn't fit everyone's eye.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, CalS said:

I think you do EN a disservice with this statement.  Could be semantics but I find EN a great SEARCH tool for finding things electronically that I might otherwise not find in the paper world.  It is much more than a generic tool.

Oops, I had no intention of disparaging Evernote's search feature     
My comments related to the checkbox and to-do lists

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Oops, I had no intention of disparaging Evernote's search feature     
My comments related to the checkbox and to-do lists

Cool, though you might want to modify this bit of auto text....  ;)

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Evernote is a generic storage app for filing notes/documents

There is a way using one note per task, and a combination of tags and notebooks  with Filterize to achieve a reasonable proxy for a to do app. You can also achieve recurring tasks.

• Level 5*

With or without Filterize you can use Evernote by adding suitable priority tags (P1 / P2 etc,  or URGENT/ priority / routine) and setting reminder dates for other notes. Set up some saved searches for your priorities,  and for 'all reminders due and not completed from today or earlier / due in the next 7 days' etc. and you're set up.  Filterize will keep your lists up to date if you wish - and I find it amazingly convenient and effective;  but whatever works for you...

• Level 5

My solution is to use Things as task manager, and send a link to the relevant note there via sharing. Then I create a task containing the link.

Things keeps the task, controls it, reminds etc., the content is in EN, just a click on the link away.

Things 3 is only available for Mac and iOS.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

I was also on the one task, one note team and with saved searches that worked well for me for several years.  My workplace recently moved over to Outlook and I discovered that Todoist has a really nice plug-in for Outlook that allows me to keep a todo pane open all the time, so at least for work I've migrated over to Todoist.  In a bit of overkill I'm been checking out Things 3 for personal todos.  I do find dedicated todo apps a little more seamless than using Evernote which for task management is usable but is a little clunky and missing some features ... IMO

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Things keeps the task, controls it, reminds etc., the content is in EN, just a click on the link away.

13 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I do find dedicated todo apps a little more seamless than using Evernote which for task management is usable but is a little clunky and missing some features ... IMO

For sure, dedicated to-do apps will have more features, and are "more seamless" 
Were there any specific features you need?

From the original post, I was able to work-around "due dates, categories, priorities, recurrence"
Also projects, tasks, and task duration

Missing for me is

• linking tasks like start/end
  • status roll-up
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I do find dedicated todo apps a little more seamless than using Evernote which for task management is usable but is a little clunky and missing some features .

For sure.  Trade off of having everything in one place keeps me in EN only.  Slap a dated reminder on a note and I'm done with set up and all the backup for the task is in one place. 

To make it simpler I added PhraseExpress hotkeys for add/close, modify date and clear.  All my saved reminder searches are preceded by ! so with the left panel closed one click on the looking glass and there they are.  I don't set priorities since I'm mostly looking at shortish search results lists, other than the 30 day look ahead.  Discipline is in viewing the lists which has become second nature to me at this point.  FWIW and not for everyone I know based upon use case and personal style

ScreenClip.png.f4dc1a4ebb7de1b12e7a7267c7909132.png

There are several apps around with Evernote integrations, set a reminder & they appear in the task manager, without using TaskClone, Zapier or Intermediary work arounds. Or bothersome cut & paste of links. Remember The Milk is one, but I am a big fan of Nozbe - their free 5 project offering Is often more than enough. I keep all my Planning & Info  in Evernote - then Actions/Tasks in Nozbe & can keep everything together then. Nozbe has a direct EN attachment function and the ability to sync/modify EN reminders.