HELP: Evernote 6.24.2.8919 hangs when dragging a hyperlink into it

Yesterday or the day before Evernote upgraded automatically to 6.24.2.8919 on my Windows 10 Pro built 1903 machine.

Since then, Evernote hangs when I drag a hyperlink from the Mozilla Firefox address bar into the Evernote window.
I see an animated mousepointer and Evernote as well as the browser become unresponsive and hang.
When I kill Evernote, Evernote Web Clipper, and the Evernote System Tray icon, and start Evernote again and repeat this, the hyperlink is added as a note.

Until some time later when I try to drag another hyperlink into Evernote.

How can I solve this, please?

• Like 1

I can confirm described behavior with Firefox 74.0 and Windows 10 -  this is a huge productivity loss for me. The error seems to be related to the new Firefox version 74.0, which has been released a couple of days ago.

After dragging a hyperlink to Evernote, it will hang up Firefox completely (in addition to Evernote itself), until you manually kill the Evernote process via Task manager!

I have been using the same Evernote version 6.24.x, but with the change from FF 73.0.1 to 74.0, the hang up became apparent. Before, it was already noticeable with Firefox Developer Edition. Cannot remember the exact Evernote version, as I updated in the meanwhile, though it shouldn't matter.

Also tested with chromium browser , which works, so this is another point in favor of an incompatibility between FF and EN.

Thanks for your response!

I can confirm that:

- my version of Firefox is v74.0 (64-bit) too;

- I have the same symptom as you of Firefox locking up on me;

- Google Chrome (80.0.3987.132 64-bit) does not seem to have this issue and functions normally with Evernote 6.24.2.8919 (308919)

Regards,

--blindTurtle

• Level 5
On 3/13/2020 at 6:26 AM, blindTurtle said:

Evernote hangs when I drag a hyperlink from the Mozilla Firefox address bar into the Evernote window.

How are you doing this? I normally use Opera, which is not having the problem. When I opened Firefox, it automatically updated to v. 74, and I could not drag anything from the address bar into an Evernote note (or anywhere else)--I just got a circle-slash 🚫.

@Dave-in-Decatur For example, you can drag HTML links from the browser directly into Evernote Note List or into Notebooks or "All  Notes" in the left-most panel. Another alternative is to drag the FF icon  image.png.3565c5466c34d61b119fa5c4b45c3d8c.png or mark the whole URL in the address bar. At least that's how it works for Windows.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, ford said:

@Dave-in-Decatur For example, you can drag HTML links from the browser directly into Evernote Note List or into Notebooks or "All  Notes" in the left-most panel. Another alternative is to drag the FF icon  image.png.3565c5466c34d61b119fa5c4b45c3d8c.png or mark the whole URL in the address bar. At least that's how it works for Windows.

Hmm, thanks. Not working for me at all: whatever I try to drag, I just get the 🚫. Not an issue for me, since I mainly use Opera, but puzzling.

• Level 5*
On 3/13/2020 at 3:26 AM, blindTurtle said:

Yesterday or the day before Evernote upgraded automatically to 6.24.2.8919 on my Windows 10 Pro built 1903 machine.

Since then, Evernote hangs when I drag a hyperlink from the Mozilla Firefox address bar into the Evernote window.
I see an animated mousepointer and Evernote as well as the browser become unresponsive and hang.
When I kill Evernote, Evernote Web Clipper, and the Evernote System Tray icon, and start Evernote again and repeat this, the hyperlink is added as a note.

Until some time later when I try to drag another hyperlink into Evernote.

How can I solve this, please?

I tried this.

1. I drug a hyperlink from the FF address bar into EN.
  2. It hung.
  3. Rather than stopping EN, I stopped FF.
  4. A note with the link appeared right away in EN.
  5. I restarted FF and tried dragging another link.
  6. It worked this time and a subsequent time, but failed the third time.
  7. Tried with Brave and it worked the first and subsequent times.

Moral of the story, there's a bug someplace.  Duh, Captain Obvious.  If you like FF, maybe a workaround is to drag the first link and if it hangs stop FF.  Then restart FF and proceed, but no guarantees as to how many links before it crashes which is problematic.  Also, if you are wanting the link in a note by itself the bookmark option of clipper could be a substitute.

ScreenClip.png.5457ee4f8b97881c266f70d1aca5547e.png

@CalS Would you mind creating a ticket just linking to this issue, so Evernote team is aware of the bug?

(I would be more than happy to do it myself, but I really dislike EN's requirement of posting bugs on twitter.com as a current basic member)

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, ford said:

@CalS Would you mind creating a ticket just linking to this issue, so Evernote team is aware of the bug?

(I would be more than happy to do it myself, but I really dislike EN's requirement of posting bugs on twitter.com as a current basic member)

Did it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 3/20/2020 at 6:27 AM, ford said:

Got a response from EN support.

I am able to reproduce this exactly as you've described it. I've gathered all of the very helpful information you provided and passed along to the development team for further review. They'll prioritize and investigate the root cause to determine the best way to correct this issue.

While I don't have a time or date on when this would be resolved, do know they are working diligently on a resolution. At this time, I'm marking this ticket as answered while the development team investigates the issue.

So time will tell.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 3/13/2020 at 3:26 AM, blindTurtle said:

Evernote hangs when I drag a hyperlink from the Mozilla Firefox address bar into the Evernote window.

Question - Why are we dragging hyperlinks into the Evernote window?

edit; I'm not objecting to the process - it's just not something I do

• Level 5

For me the workflow described above makes it clear: Because it is the easiest way to produce a note with an ordered / structured list of Hyperlinks.

You create the Note, put it into an own window beside the browser or e-mail-window, grab one Hyperlink after the other, pull it into the note window and drop it right where it belongs. Seems pretty efficient and natural to me, even if I have never done it myself. Maybe because my notes are more a haystack of information than ordered & structured 🤓

On 3/24/2020 at 12:49 AM, DTLow said:

Question - Why are we dragging hyperlinks into the Evernote window?

edit; I'm not objecting to the process - it's just not something I do

It is the quickest way to create a note with URL meta info and note title automatically filled by EN + have the website link placed as note content, if you don't want to use an external extension like Evernote Web Clipper.

Depending on, where you drop it, the linked website note also gets tags assigned automatically. E.g. you could have tag "todo" pre-selected in EN and drop a link right into this note list, which appends "todo" as a tag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, ford said:

It is the quickest way to create a note with URL meta info and note title automatically filled by EN + have the website link placed as note content, if you don't want to use an external extension like Evernote Web Clipper.

Depending on, where you drop it, the linked website note also gets tags assigned automatically. E.g. you could have tag "todo" pre-selected in EN and drop a link right into this note list, which appends "todo" as a tag.

Cool idea, never tried dragging a link to the note list to create a note.  Thanks. 

Anyway, this works fine with Brave.  I switched to Brave from FF and Chrome a ways back, still have all three available just in case.  Seems faster and has a built in ad blocker.  Brave might be worth a try until EN fixes the FF issue.  FWIW.

• 4 weeks later...