JCFretts

New interface makes it harder to change notebooks

It used to be very simple to drop-down the containing notebook and edit which notebook the note lives in.  Now, the function has completed changed - it launches a search for all notes in that notebook.   Why have this duplicity, when you can just access the notebook separately?  It was more useful for me to be able to easily edit where a note "lives."

Also, I notice that you've moved the note information (i) to a more obscure location.  For a clipping tool, the source is relatively important, and shouldn't be demoted.

There's not need to hide behind the three dots.

Annotation 2020-03-10 202837.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had a similar unhappiness. I had 3 floating choices before on the kind of note I wanted to enter. Now I have to go through the whole menu for my choice. I'd like to go back to the floating choices as an option.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:31 PM, JCFretts said:

duplicity

I think you mean "duplication"; "duplicity" has a rather different meaning...

[Note that I'm using the web beta, as I don't have access to the Windows beta, but it appears to have the same behavior/look as you describe here] Aside from that, the "Navigate to containing notebook" is actually pretty handy. I know that folks asked for it in the Windows client, and it's there in the public release: you have to do a Ctrl+click on the notebook name. Handy, as I said, but unfortunately not too discoverable (a similar and useful bit of functionality is given by ctrl+clicking on a tag in the note's tags in the note panel). I have a workflow that requires me to move weekly journal notes to a different notebook, and I found that I use that and the "Navigate to notebook" functionality about equally. It would be nice to have both of those back, but maybe a little more user-obvious: click on the mutton, go to the notebook; click on the dropdown, change note's notebook.

The note info thingy isn't such a big deal to me, bit I do like the current Windows client where there's a customizable mini toolbar on the upper right of the note panel: I keep buttons for Note Info, and  Reminder up there.

14 hours ago, jefito said:

I think you mean "duplication"; "duplicity" has a rather different meaning...

Off topic.  I'm with you duplicity mostly means deceitfulness to me, but it can mean doubleness.  IAC, I prefer a drop down to select notebooks versus the new show me all the notes in the notebook.  Seems silly to me after working with EN for 10 years.  A change that makes no sense,.

Posted (edited)

Agree. My use case is mostly clipping, then tagging moving to notebook. And I like to see  where it was clipped from. I now have to click through opposite corners  of the note and some menus to do that, and have to be careful not clicking on the notebook indicator by mistake.

Otherwise I really enjoy the web interface for convenience, predictability and display quality. Btw, I now realize that this is the Windows forum. Does the Windows beta already sport the new editor?

Edited by lhb
Found out that I'm in the Windows forum.

Agreed. This was a cleaner, easier experience in the previous version. 

I agree, I use a lot the clipping function and it is very useful to see where it was clipped from. 

Moreover, in the previous app, the link of the source web page was directly clickable. Now, you have to copy and paste the  url in your browser.

I agree with the above.

Don't like the new location of the Note "move to" command. The drop down in the previous editor was in what seemed to me to be a very logical place and took fewer clicks to accomplish. The new location seems to be a triumph of form over function! It seems to reduce the efficiency of the interface.