Web Clipper extension in Safari consistently has high CPU usage

mlenaghan

Idea

This happens consistently: I wake my iMac from sleep, see very high CPU usage, look in Activity Monitor, and notice that Web Clipper appears to be the culprit. I haven't confirmed this yet, but I *think* that some time after waking CPU usage goes back down to normal. I haven't confirmed it because I generally just find it easier to disable Web Clipper. (I keep Web Clipper disabled on my laptop for this very reason.)

As a guess, it seems to me that Web Clipper is trying to access the network during sleep, can't, and ends up polling for a connection. In doing some quick research I discovered the "Stop plug-ins to save power" setting which is apparently on by default. Related? I don't know; as I said, it's just a guess. (Of course, Web Clipper is an extension rather than a plug-in, but I don't know if Apple is being precise in its description of the setting.)

I'm using Web Clipper 7.12.3, Safari 13.0.5, macOS 10.15.3.

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 9.41.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 9.58.23 AM.png

1 reply to this idea

I disabled the web clipper extension in safari after noticing it was the cause for my high cpu usage and following an article response from Apple. I approached the matter by disabling recently installed extensions - starting with Evernote Web Clipper at the top of the list. Presto - excessive cpu usage for Safari no longer an issue. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3190569

Your problem now also explains why my battery from 'fully charged' was depleted  when I opened to use it this evening. I really hope it hadn't kicked the fans on whilst it was stored in my leather case. 

I've only just adopted the basic/free version of Evernote to give it a whirl but to me this has put me right off and reminds me of all the bugginess and issues I was having with my previous windows dell PC never sleeping correctly. Let me tell you that sort of behaviour will KILL your laptop battery as it did with my previous machine if you laptop is a. not be sleeping  when it should be; in a confined space e.g. laptop pouch, b. running hot with fans on; and c. completely depleting the battery, resulting in accelerated wear. 

Not going to risk going through that again with my new machine.