Identifying duplicate URLs

BG Mahesh

Idea

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

It appears that you can find notes containing URLs using a search on: resource:application/octet-stream, and I know that you can search for the text that appears in your note, but I don't know of any way to search for the text of the underlying link (unless that's also the note text of the link).

• Level 5

What if the duplicate link is there because it is used in another note as well ?

Should the duplicate not be clipped, or should the user need to confirm he wants to clip it again ? Where to put the function ? WebClipper - only contacts EN after a clip today - should it make a search call to EN before clipping, thus slowing down the clipping process ?

One can think of many things when reading your posting. It is an initial idea - can you elaborate a bit what you want to make it a feature request ?

• Level 5*

My own preference would be to augment the search language so that the hidden URLs could be textually searched, though that doesn't actually solve the OP's problem (that of finding duplicate links). Duplicate links aren't any kind of problem for me; I have lots...

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, BG Mahesh said:

How to identify duplicate URLs in my Notebook? ... Would like to consolidate
...Such tools must be provided to Premium customers.

You posted the request, we'll see how much user support it generates
It's not a priority for me

This feature is not supported by Evernote,
but API's are provided to access our data
I can use AppleScript on my Mac to identify duplicate URLs

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, BG Mahesh said:

How to identify duplicate URLs in my Notebook? At times I see I have a URL1 tagged as tag1 and tag2 SEPARATELY

Would like to consolidate

In Windows you can add the Source URL field to the column display.  Do that and then

1. Do a search to get all notes with URLs in the note list.  Or go to All Notes and sort by the URL field.
  2. Highlight all the URL containing notes with Ctrl+A or Shift+LeftMouse to grab the top of the sorted list.
  3. Ctrl+C to copy the list to the clipboard.
  4. Open Excel and paste.
  5. Sort by the URL column and identify the duplicates with a simple formula..

It can be done in about the time it took me to type all of this.  FWIW.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, jefito said:

It appears that you can find notes containing URLs using a search on: resource:application/octet-stream, and I know that you can search for the text that appears in your note, but I don't know of any way to search for the text of the underlying link (unless that's also the note text of the link).

Not sure that captures all notes with a URL in the note info.  Are there other values that can be used?

EDIT:  DId a search and I think sourceurl:* may be the answer.  Though you do get not URL stuff which is populated in the field.  Too simple....  :wacko:

On 2/25/2020 at 1:21 PM, PinkElephant said:

What if the duplicate link is there because it is used in another note as well ?

Should the duplicate not be clipped, or should the user need to confirm he wants to clip it again ? Where to put the function ? WebClipper - only contacts EN after a clip today - should it make a search call to EN before clipping, thus slowing down the clipping process ?

One can think of many things when reading your posting. It is an initial idea - can you elaborate a bit what you want to make it a feature request ?

Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes, intentionally one could use the same URL in different context and bookmark them. 

In my case, I rarely use the same URL and save it with different notes and tags. Irrespective of the reasoning, it would help to know if the same URL has been save multiple times in different notes. If the user wishes to, they can clean it up or leave it as is. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, BG Mahesh said:

Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes, intentionally one could use the same URL in different context and bookmark them. 

In my case, I rarely use the same URL and save it with different notes and tags. Irrespective of the reasoning, it would help to know if the same URL has been save multiple times in different notes. If the user wishes to, they can clean it up or leave it as is. 

First, get what you are asking for.  I guess I have a different view.  In all things EN, oftentimes issues such as this don't don't matter until I see them.,  The cleanup effort just isn't worth it for me.  That being said if one does find a link within a note body that is questionable one can always highlight the link, copy it to the search bar, and see if it is in other notes.  Provided of course the URL or text for the URL are the same across notes.  🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, CalS said:

First, get what you are asking for.  I guess I have a different view.  In all things EN, oftentimes issues such as this don't don't matter until I see them.,  The cleanup effort just isn't worth it for me.  That being said if one does find a link within a note body that is questionable one can always highlight the link, copy it to the search bar, and see if it is in other notes.  Provided of course the URL or text for the URL are the same across notes.  🤷‍♂️

I am actually not talking about the URL in the "body" of the note, but in the "Note Details" URL field. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, BG Mahesh said:

I am actually not talking about the URL in the "body" of the note, but in the "Note Details" URL field. 

Well, the note above with a list of 5 items addresses that, for Windows desktop anyway. 

• Level 5

What I do not get in this whole thread is the need to „clean it up“.

Duplicating happens, it happens to me, and I think it happens to everybody. I knew a guy back then who only felt safe when he had xeroxed any paper he regarded as relevant (and there were many) and stacked it away. Not one copy, not one place ... and a tremendous effort to do so.

With EN my feeling is: Let it be. If there are duplicates, so what. The effort today is not creating them, the effort is in eliminating. And it is not just URLs.

Case 1: I never need it again - plenty of stuff is in that category. Receipts kept only for warranty, expired. Web pages clipped to be used in a future presentation or blog , subject abandoned. E-Mails stored because they might have been relevant when the case was open - the case is cold now etc. The duplicates don’t hazzle me, they are there, and I will not invest lifetime to find and eliminate them.

Case 2: I need something, search and get several hits. OK, quick-scan-time. A good bet is to take the youngest, probably information was added. Now, if I have the time, I may send obvious duplicates to hell now. Click, click, click, away. If not I have a tag called „Duplicate“, so if I may tag them and find them later. But this is for a purpose, like making searches lean that I tend to repeat. All the rest: Case 1.

I don’t care if it is URLs, text or picture that is duplicated. In the end, EN is not a storing machine, it is a finding machine. As long as I find, I am doing good. My effort goes into making finding easy, not into building an ideal, duplicate-free database.

• Like 1