Keyboard shortcuts for web client

The current web interface looks very slick (not the new beta. The one before that) and super clean!  I love it.  Unfortunately, I cannot use it in a productive manner.  I couldn't find a list of keyboard shortcuts.  I hope I am wrong about it, and that Evernote has this obviously important feature.  Can someone please shed light?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Web interfaces have a born deficiency with shortcuts - they often collide with those for the browser as „nesting ground“ for the web application. Here we talk several possible browsers, which complicates things further.

Probably this will be one of the final things when going from beta to release level.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 2/16/2020 at 12:45 PM, PinkElephant said:

Web interfaces have a born deficiency with shortcuts - they often collide with those for the browser as „nesting ground“ for the web application. Here we talk several possible browsers, which complicates things further.

Probably this will be one of the final things when going from beta to release level.

This, really, cannot be a serious excuse, please. Keyboard shortcuts in browsers are an established practice, e.g. Gmail, Twitter (heavily), but millions of web applications used in enterprises, and even Apple's highly conservative iCloud Web uses basic keyboard shortcuts for the most frequent actions.

I suggest, besides editor shortcuts, something to create a new note, search for notes, jump betw/ sections (tags/notes).

Roman

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

I would like to bring back the conversation to the initial question: is there a list of working keyboard shortcuts for Evernote Web (new version)?

Surely there are some, as I recently discovered that Ctrl-X encrypts highlighted text...

Would be very helpful to have shortcuts for Search and Add New Note at the very least....

• Thanks 1
On 2/16/2020 at 12:45 PM, PinkElephant said:

You can easily capture in javascript any keys that would by default be handled by the web browser, much like you can capture Crtl-C or Ctrl-V in a text-edit window created by the OS. The way to capture the keys is standardised and supported by all current web browsers.

Edited by ehrt74
6 hours ago, gozzilla78 said:

I recently discovered that Ctrl-X encrypts highlighted text...

Alright... my longer response:

Firstly, no, the shortcut you mention does not work in a browser, if yes, please record the screen and let us see.

Secondly, thank you for bringing back the conversation to shortcuts and evernote web. It's mind boggling that Evernote has still not done anything about it! Web interface is one of the nicest and cleanest designs of any online web based editor out there. I personally will routinely prefer to type my text in the browser, just because it's pleasant, clean, lets me concentrate without distractions..

Evernote, please implement at least the most basic keyboard shorcuts like new note, search, add tags, etc..

As for the encryption, it would be a wonderful addition to the web based version, too. For now only the desktop versions support encryption AFAIK.

Greetings,

Roman

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, gozzilla78 said:

Surely there are some, as I recently discovered that Ctrl-X encrypts highlighted text...

Since when? It does a Cut operation for me, as it should.

Ctrl+Shift+X encrypts text, though.

8 hours ago, gozzilla78 said:

I would like to bring back the conversation to the initial question: is there a list of working keyboard shortcuts for Evernote Web (new version)?

None that I know of. It would be nice.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, meny said:

Alright... my longer response:

Firstly, no, the shortcut you mention does not work in a browser, if yes, please record the screen and let us see.

Secondly, thank you for bringing back the conversation to shortcuts and evernote web. It's mind boggling that Evernote has still not done anything about it! Web interface is one of the nicest and cleanest designs of any online web based editor out there. I personally will routinely prefer to type my text in the browser, just because it's pleasant, clean, lets me concentrate without distractions..

Evernote, please implement at least the most basic keyboard shorcuts like new note, search, add tags, etc..

As for the encryption, it would be a wonderful addition to the web based version, too. For now only the desktop versions support encryption AFAIK.

Greetings,

Roman

Sorry, my bad: as @jefito correctly writes, Crtl-Shift-x does the encrypt job (I though that using capital letter X would be clear but sorry)

I understand you are saying that the shortcut enables you to encrypt text in the web browser. On Mac, in Safari, the shortcut does not encrypt text for me. Which environment are you using?

2 hours ago, meny said:

I understand you are saying that the shortcut enables you to encrypt text in the web browser. On Mac, in Safari, the shortcut does not encrypt text for me. Which environment are you using?

Using Chrome (on Windows) and Chromium (on Linux) -- and here's a screenshot for you:

encrypt.jpg

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

It would really cool if we could bind any command to any key we want, not just get some basic key shortcuts. It remembers me a time when we've started to cooperate with these medical app developers and they've done a telemedicine application for our business partners, and one of the main features our partners asked - is to implement hotkeys, so it would much easier to manipulate with application.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, joel2QM said:

It would really cool if we could bind any command to any key we want, not just get some basic key shortcuts.

That's what apps like PhraseExpress and AutoHotKey were built to do.  Roll your own..

• 4 months later...

I was also suffering from the lack of keyboard shortcuts in the web client so I wrote a chrome extension called Evercuts which adds some. I have already reaped the benefits and now want other people to use it too. You can download the extension from the Chrome web store or from my Github. It has the following shortcuts as of today (v1.4)

1. Search notes 
  2. Toggle fullscreen
  3. Add hyperlink
  4. Copy Note internal link
  5. Open note in new tab
  6. Open note in new window
  7. Move note
  8. Delete note
  9. Next/Previous note in list

Some of the shortcuts are set by default, but they can be changed by visiting chrome://extensions/shortcuts  The only action you cannot configure is alt+click to open a note in a new window.

• Thanks 7
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 5:10 PM, Px2 said:

I was also suffering from the lack of keyboard shortcuts in the web client so I wrote a chrome extension called Evercuts which adds some. I have already reaped the benefits and now want other people to use it too. You can download the extension from the Chrome web store or from my Github. It has the following shortcuts as of today (v1.4)

If I am right then v1.4 of the "Evercuts"_Chrome-extension doesn't work anymore with Evernote Web 10.3.0 ?!?
(at least shortcuts for Delete Note and Move Note)

9 hours ago, HeBoIz said:

If I am right then v1.4 of the "Evercuts"_Chrome-extension doesn't work anymore with Evernote Web 10.3.0 ?!?
(at least shortcuts for Delete Note and Move Note)

Yeah you are right. The code to click on the "More Actions" button doesn't work anymore. So the following features are currently broken. 

• delete note
  • move note
  • copy internal link

Not sure why we can't programatically click on this button with javascript anymore but hopefully it'll be fixed soon

• 2 weeks later...

Chrome-Addin "evercuts" now is available in Version v1.7 .

Shortcuts like [Alt] +[m] for moving note to other notebook or [Alt] +[Del] for (instantly) deleting note are working again in actual EN web version (10.4.2).

By the way: Ever checked and honoured the amazing shortcut and markdown support in the DropBox-Paper-Web-Editor?
(open DropBox-Paper and just press [Ctr] +[Shift]+[/] english keyboard or [#] with german keyboard for for options and infos)

I whish EN could do so as well and would supply us all with helpful keyboard-driven functions in a similar way...

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

ones i use often:

type '1.<space>' to start a numbered list

ctrl-b to toggle bold

'##<space>' to start a heading

'[][]x5' to make a table of 2x5 elements

use backticks to enter code.

'---' or '***' for a horizontal line

There's a lot of markdown going on there.

• Thanks 2
  • 1 year later...
On 11/19/2020 at 12:57 PM, Px2 said:

@HeBoIz - just sent v1.7 to the chrome store which fixes the issue for move/delete note. Should be live soon. If you're using github you can just update now.

Appreciate your great work!! this is amazing!! Now I can start to use Evernote web for daily use.

This is something Evernote team should do for us....Thank you!! 

• 6 months later...
On 10/5/2020 at 2:10 AM, Px2 said:

1. Search notes 
  2. Toggle fullscreen
  3. Add hyperlink
  4. Copy Note internal link
  5. Open note in new tab
  6. Open note in new window
  7. Move note
  8. Delete note
  9. Next/Previous note in list

Some of the shortcuts are set by default, but they can be changed by visiting chrome://extensions/shortcuts  The only action you cannot configure is alt+click to open a note in a new window.

You are an absolute lifesaver and miracle worker. Thanks a million for this!!

• 3 months later...

Hello, I can't get evercuts to work. The extension is "active on the page" but none of the keyboard shortcuts (ie, alt Q for search) work.

I've tried disabling ad blocker and I've also tried different key combinations (ie, alt/shift/Q), can't seem to make it work.

Any ideas?

Thank you.