Opening a link to a specific Gmail message from Android mobile app?

How do I get hyperlinks to specific emails to open to that specific email in the Android mobile app?

If I click a hyperlink of a specific email (by URL string) that I have saved in Evernote, when I the link from the Windows desktop client or Evernote Web, that specific message opens in Gmail. When I do the exact same thing from the Android Evernote app, the link does not even open the Gmail app  it does not open that email.  In fact, it does not open my gmail app (Android) but rather opens to the inbox of the browser's Gmail app.  

How do I get hyperlinks to specific emails to open to that specific email in the app?

NOTE: I really think this is more of a Gmail issue than Evernote issue. I am seeing the exact same thing with the Remember The Milk mobile app. A saw this question posed on a Gmail forum, but there were no answers given. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Mobile devices typically don't store files locally - they're interfaces to more detailed information stored in the cloud.  So an 'email' in Android is actually a link to the information stored online.  I don't believe there's any way to link an email to a note - or vice-versa.  The internet (and email) just won't allow it. 

I have Gmail addresses that I mostly manage in MS Outlook on desktop,  and I save some .MSG files into Evernote notes - Outlook copies of emails received - which will re-open in Outllook if I open them from the note.  I delete the emails from Outlook (therefore from Gmail via IMAP) after copying them to a note - there's no point (IMHO) in retaining two copies of the same information.

12 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Mobile devices typically don't store files locally - they're interfaces to more detailed information stored in the cloud.  So an 'email' in Android is actually a link to the information stored online.  I don't believe there's any way to link an email to a note - or vice-versa.  The internet (and email) just won't allow it. 

I have Gmail addresses that I mostly manage in MS Outlook on desktop,  and I save some .MSG files into Evernote notes - Outlook copies of emails received - which will re-open in Outllook if I open them from the note.  I delete the emails from Outlook (therefore from Gmail via IMAP) after copying them to a note - there's no point (IMHO) in retaining two copies of the same information.

Thanks for the info. When I put a link to a Gmail message in an Evernote note, I am not also copying the text into Evernote; I'm just putting the link because there is a reason for accessing the email rather than simply the text contained in it. That's why the link in Evernote is so useful from my desktop computer and why it would also be helpful from my mobile device.

I want to be clear that every Gmail thread has its own link, just as if it was a webpage. I can put a link to a Gmail message in an Evernote note. Here is the results:

1. In Evernote desktop client, click the link to the Gmail message and Gmail opens to that message.

2. In Evernote web, click the link to the Gmail message and Gmail opens to that message.

3. In Android mobile app, click the link to the Gmail message. The Gmail app does not open. Instead, the Gmail inbox opens in the broweser on the mobile device instead of opening to the specific message. That's where the problem lies. 

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

I'm using Desktop FullScreen Web Browser for this.

I can't seem to get it to open gmail-links automatically in that app, but at last it works to manually copy the url and paste it into that browser.

I do a lot of linking to specific mail-threads. Most of the time I'm opening these on my desktop, but once I've been on the go before I found this app it was a real pain and it's impossible to find the right mail from the url alone in that case.