Please stop logging me out

VickiBrown

Idea

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, VickiBrown said:

Evernote is not my bank.

Evernote provides bank-level security to keep your private notes private,  and part of that is the 30-day timeout.  If you can use the installed desktop version,  there is no logout because the security is provided by the operating system of whatever device you're using.  The web client can be accessed from any device at any time,  hence the added level of security.  Sorry but it's not something users can change.

On 2/13/2020 at 11:47 AM, gazumped said:

Evernote provides bank-level security to keep your private notes private,  and part of that is the 30-day timeout.  If you can use the installed desktop version,  there is no logout because the security is provided by the operating system of whatever device you're using.  The web client can be accessed from any device at any time,  hence the added level of security.  Sorry but it's not something users can change.

That's great that Evernote provides the option of bank-level security.  However, for those of us who don't care whether our notes are private or not, why not add an option to stay logged in permanently on this device?  There's no technical reason this can't be done (just use a browser cookie), and that would be no less secure than accessing it through the desktop client, since either way I have to log in to my device before I can do anything.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 2/27/2020 at 1:28 AM, N. O. Nymous said:

There's no technical reason this can't be done

Possibly not - though some people would want to be logged out,  and others would not;  and still others might change their mind and move between the two - and if someone's account got hacked and they blamed Evernote for it,  you can bet that no user would ever admit to having left their account open in a browser - even if they were aware that happened...

Anyhoo.  Rightly or wrongly Evernote designed things this way.  They'd have to recode part of the browser app to change it.  You've posted a feature request,  and anyone who agrees with you can add their vote at the top left of the thread.  If you get enough agreement they might consider doing that...

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Maybe there should be a "Vote down" - option for proposals like this, that put comfort over privacy and security.

The problem with downgrade-switches for security issues is that exactly the people who do not understand what they do later claim that they were exposed.

Don't believe me ?

Then look closely when next time somebody brags about how secure he is browsing, turning around and using his "Login-by-Facebook" routine ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The arguments for not allowing users to stay logged in here are trying to fix people from being stupid about their preferences.  This constant logging out is ridiculous.  I installed the desktop client and most likely won't even use the web browser, but every time I open my Mac desktop I am presented with a login window.

If you can use the installed desktop version,  there is no logout because the security is provided by the operating system of whatever device you're using. 

This evidently is not the case and is so frustrating that despite how useful Evernote may be, if I can't figure out a way to stay logged in, I will be dumping the app.

The concern that people will unknowingly turn on an option to stay logged in permanently and then come back and complain that it's Evernote's fault that their account got hacked is absurd.  Put a huge warning next to the check box, but don't remove the option for people that want it and take away features.

I have read countless negative reviews about Evernote and still tried it and like the app, except for the lack of this option and it's a big one for me.

I know this thread is more than a year old.  I apologize if this has been resolved anywhere, but when I did a google search, this is the only recent thread that popped up.  Everything else was 2018 or older and obviously not relevant for the current versions of the app.  If there is an option to resolve this, please let me know.  Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

This thread has nothing to tell any more - it is pre v10, and does not cover the completely different setup of EN with the new client generation.

My proposal for you is to issue a support ticket. On my Mac I am permanently logged in, and the app opens without any adoo even when I completely closed it before.

• Like 1

I wanted to vote up and realized I was not logged in, despite being logged into a separate tab. This is stopping me from using Evernote. Please give me a usable choice, I don't want to log in all the time,

• Level 5*
On 4/23/2021 at 9:27 PM, neskazu said:

I wanted to vote up and realized I was not logged in, despite being logged into a separate tab. This is stopping me from using Evernote. Please give me a usable choice, I don't want to log in all the time,

If you're talking about being logged into Evernote web plus this forum - they're two completely separate sites and don't share cookies or status.

• Like 2

Web version logs me out every several days !! This is nonsence. I literally was logged in two days ago, and now I redirected to front page, gotta click login again ! Login with Google.  I have to do it again and again !
The link i m using : https://www.evernote.com/client/web?login=true
This bug is existing now for such a long time !!!

haha, this 2023 and Evernote still very slow, and poor option, anyone could suggest better note? I 'm considering self host note system. The Evernote website, login, load note take more than minute to ready writing some ideal, enough for me to forget what I wanna write. Haha, stupid you Evernote