Evernote Recording Two Different iPhones Signing Into My Account

MadeleineWork

Idea

A while ago, I noticed that Evernote thought I was signing into my account using two different iPhones. But I only have one iPhone. I thought maybe someone was trying to log into my account so I changed my password... but the problem has persisted. And I'm only allowed to unsync one of my devices twice a month...

Is anyone else having an issue where Evernote is recording two different devices logging into the same account?

IMG_86984EBF9D46-1.jpeg

• Like 1

10 replies to this idea

I have the same issue.  Hopeful someone can help me out.  Says I've signed in a day ago and a week ago from 2 different iphones.  The one that I know is my iphone says that it was logged in a week ago while the other one with the more generic name says I was logged in a day ago.  I know I was logged in a day ago from the one that I know is my iphone.  Feels scammy - like they're trying to force me to upgrade.  

I’m having exact same issue. Thinks I’ve got 2 phones when I haven’t. I’ve now been locked out of my account on both my devices (1 iPhone and 1 ipad). and it has crucial info I need to get at.  If the intention is to get me to subscribe it is having the opposite effect and makes me want to move to an alternative 

• Level 5

This has been happening for awhile now, due to passwords being stolen from somewhere else (not from Evernote) and being tested till the crooks find one that works on an Evernote account. The solution I've seen is to change your Evernote password to something strong and not in use elsewhere. That should keep the crooks from logging their bogus iPhone into your account. @Shane D., have I got that right?

• Level 5

If Shane is busy, YES !

To solve the issue, I would do the following steps in this order:

1st change my account password (strong, unique etc.), but see point 5 - maybe you want to get a password manager right away, and start using it with securing your EN account.

2nd unsync the device that does not belong. Access is already denied with the new password, but it should be completely revoked.

3rd check whether there was another access established when the crook had the go, one that uses the API interface that is for example used by the web clipper, IFTTT, Filterize and others. Revoke it as well. If you do not know which one is which, revoke them all (creates a little bit of work, but it closes down the account).

4th think about activating 2-FA. This is valuable for all accounts, but it is especially valuable for the UNlimited accounts. When Basic you probably get a notice to withdraw a device, on a Premium account there can be an army of hackers accessing your data without getting an info. With 2 FA you will know there is somebody trying to enter - and you always know whether it is you or not.

5th think about getting a password manager, and change all of your passwords. Because if somebody broke into your EN account, probably your current handling of PW is not up to the task to protect you in general. It will take some effort, but it is worth to protect your digital identities. I use 1Password, which as well generates a one-time-Code used for 2FA. EN says it is Google Authenticator, but others work as well.

Or, in other words:

image.thumb.jpeg.9c068041efdc6f2abc01fb831df85087.jpeg

Each time I try restart my Mac and open Evernote, it asks to unsync one of my three devices. The total number of devices listed are:

1. My Mac
  2. An Android device (Xiaomi)
  3. Another Android device (Samsung)

It always says that the Samsung device has recently used Evernote, but that's not true, since Evernote is not even installed (it was in the past but not anymore). The only two devices I really use are the Mac and the Xiaomi phone. 

How can I get this to stop happening? It is especially annoying when I run out of unsync chances.

So, yeah.... I've had the same issue and i've done all that. 

It happens when I update the app.... every...single...time. It is no longer on my phone but when it updates, it asks me to unsync it. It's not a password issue. 

Same issue here. Locked out of both devices - the only ones I ever use for Evernote (MBP & iPhone). With the restriction on the number of times it' possible to unsync a device, the lockout period is for an entire month. Anyone else having this issue, and has anyone discovered a way around it? Not sure if moderators read this, but if so, I'm looking for some direction and support here.

This type of error is really inexcusable for an established company and piece of software. I'm locked out of a tremendous amount of data I need daily for work. This is the sort of thing that not only turns someone away from a tool and a brand, but turns them into a vigorous opponent of that brand. I suppose it boils down to shame on me for relying on a piece of freeware, but if this becomes you get what you pay for, I'm surely not going to pay for it with Evernote.

I am having the same issue and I only have a MacBook Air and an iPhone. I am now locked out except for the web browser version. I like to sometimes reference Evernote on my phone, which is usually once or twice per month. I guess this month I did this more than twice. I always unsync an iPhone but don't know what it is. Perhaps I'll just delete it from my iPhone and not use the iPhone app. I'll probably just take notes in Apple Notes and move them to Evernote on my laptop later.

• Level 5
20 minutes ago, Andrew Kolstee said:

I am having the same issue and I only have a MacBook Air and an iPhone. I am now locked out except for the web browser version. I like to sometimes reference Evernote on my phone, which is usually once or twice per month. I guess this month I did this more than twice. I always unsync an iPhone but don't know what it is. Perhaps I'll just delete it from my iPhone and not use the iPhone app. I'll probably just take notes in Apple Notes and move them to Evernote on my laptop later.

Please read through some of the suggestions above. The likelihood is that someone stole passwords from some some other site (not Evernote) and kept trying them till they found one that would work on Evernote. Best advice seems to be to change your password to something unique, and otherwise strengthen your security.

1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Please read through some of the suggestions above. The likelihood is that someone stole passwords from some some other site (not Evernote) and kept trying them till they found one that would work on Evernote. Best advice seems to be to change your password to something unique, and otherwise strengthen your security.

Yeah, I changed my security settings.

• Like 1