Inconsistent tag search/filter

I have a stack called GTD.  In the stack are project folders with notes.

Some of those notes are tagged   !next

When I search using the search box for "tag:!next" I get all the notes with that tag.

However, when I use the "Filter by Tag" option, it seems to miss some notes.  But when I select All Notes and filter by tag, I see them all. 

For some reason, it appears that Filter by Tag doesn't capture all the notes in a stack of notebooks.  Clearly this is a bit of a problem for my workflow!

Anyone else have this issue?   

MAC OS:

I agree - it shouldn't matter - but here's what I find:

Here is "All Notes"

And then the "GTD" 

Note that the notes are all in the same note book "Project: AD F&AA"  Yet, when applied to GTD, the filter misses some of the notes.

all notes folder.png

gtd folder.png

OK - I restarted my mac, and reinstalled EN.  This error only occurs on one computer, not the other!

I added a new tag to AD F&AA notes then did the filter then deleted the new tag and now they show up in full.   But some other notes are missing.  It's an issue because I really rely on the filter as a quick way of looking for stuff, and if I can't be 100% sure that the notes are there, then the whole "trusted system" falls apart!

Here's the two lists;  First All notes, the just the GTD stack. You can see the differences.1286597851_Allnotes.thumb.png.80732c9bef38d902d7708140ec12a747.png

1876688093_GTDNotebookstack.png.20d1bb8a23cf0037fa9b7129b63181f8.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gatorbrit said:

Here's the two lists;  First All notes, the just the GTD stack.

Two lists and you have set different search/filters

First List         tag:!Next

Second List    stack:2_GTD  tag:!Next

I notice the first missing note "Bloomberg" is in notebook "Project:Teaching"    
Is this notebook in stack 2_GTD?
Are all the notebooks in the same stack?

• Level 5

You should probably first look after your search index on both Macs:

Hold the alt/opt key before clicking on the help menu, then down to the new point in the list, at the very bottom (problem solving), and pick the ones related to rebuild the search indexes. This is the first thing where over time notes can get lost when searching. Do it on both Macs.

Then place the starting point identical (like all notes), and use the exact same search terms on both machines.

With the current MacOSes (starting with Mojave, if I am not mistaken) spotlight search got pretty restricted, so search inside of EN.

P.S. If you want to obscure some stuff in screen shots, there is a very nice toll for this build into Skitch. It has both a crosshair screenshot tool and a pixelator to hide stuff. It comes free from Evernote, but is a separate app that must be installed from the EN website. It saves what it picks into EN notes, so it works 1:1.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, gatorbrit said:

I should probably file a ticket.

I think so.  Please let us know the results

@PinkElephant had a good idea about rebuilding the search index.  It's more of a text indexing, but the stack element is a complication

39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You should probably first look after your search index on both Macs:

Hold the alt/opt key before clicking on the help menu, then down to the new point in the list, at the very bottom (problem solving), and pick the ones related to rebuild the search indexes. This is the first thing where over time notes can get lost when searching. Do it on both Macs.

Then place the starting point identical (like all notes), and use the exact same search terms on both machines.

With the current MacOSes (starting with Mojave, if I am not mistaken) spotlight search got pretty restricted, so search inside of EN.

P.S. If you want to obscure some stuff in screen shots, there is a very nice toll for this build into Skitch. It has both a crosshair screenshot tool and a pixelator to hide stuff. It comes free from Evernote, but is a separate app that must be installed from the EN website. It saves what it picks into EN notes, so it works 1:1.

I never realized that existed.  I'll give it a shot - although I am not on that computer right now!