Just bought a Surface Pro and am excited to start taking ink notes in Evernote. Few questions:

1) Is there a quick way to start an ink note and/or to change a regular note to an ink note? The only way I found so far is File/New Note,/Ink Note - seems cumbersome, especially if in the field and adding multiple notes

2) Are ink notes searchable

3) Are ink notes convertible into text?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2020 at 2:23 PM, spallonev said:

May I ask how you added that ink notes icon to your toolbar? I can't seem to locate it. Thanks!

Right click on the toolbar, Customize. You can drag/drop icons off the bar and put them on.

To the OP, as far as I know (and I doubt it's changed in the almost-1-year since I left), Ink notes cannot be converted to text (there is no text in them - only ink strokes), nor can a text note be converted to Ink. I have no idea whether they get OCRd (I don't think so since they're not images)

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5
On 4/25/2020 at 10:42 AM, dcon said:

To the OP, as far as I know (and I doubt it's changed in the almost-1-year since I left), Ink notes cannot be converted to text (there is no text in them - only ink strokes), nor can a text note be converted to Ink. I have no idea whether they get OCRd (I don't think so since they're not images)

I've found that they do in fact get OCRed, so they can be searched. Some caveats, though:

• This may only apply to newly created notes. A test note I created 7 years ago did not seem to be indexed; one I created this morning did.
  • It may not be instantaneous. This morning's note did not seem to be searchable until some time had passed. I edited it just now, and it was searchable after a few minutes had passed.
  • All-word searches succeed; exact word sequence searches do not. By this I mean that searching for be found will find notes with all those words in them, including ink notes; but searching for "be found" will find notes with that exact sequence of words in them, except for ink notes. Evidently the indexing of text in ink notes does not index this.
  • Level 5

Hello Surface-Owners, just for the discussion: On my iPad Pro I use GoodNotes 5 for handwritten stuff. All handwriting gets OCRed, with amazing accuracy, is fully searchable in the app and goes with the image of the handwriting into a pdf when exported. When I import this pdf into EN, it is still fully searchable there. Other handwriting programs for the iPad offer the same features.

For Goodnotes there is even a Mac client, mostly to have the stuff created on the iPad on the Mac. It syncs via iCloud.

• Like 1