Web Clipper says "service unavailable"

I have had this problem for more than 48 hours now, although there was a three-hour period on Saturday when it was working again. I am unable to log into the web clipper from both Chrome and Firefox on both Windows 10 and Ubuntu. I am using the same tech stack on those machines that I always use. Nothing has changed.

I have attached the error screen I get; it pops up after I enter my 2FA code. The screen says it will update, but its message never changes, and I cannot even interact with the extension to get, for example, the activity logs to send to anyone. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and of course I clear cookies and cache (that's actually part of my routine; I keep nothing from browser session to session). I have turned off VPN and even my firewall and antivirus (although, as I said, nothing has changed with them).

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

2020-01-27_08-03-18.jpg

I'm getting that same error right now; for me it happens in a dev build of Microsoft Edge (the new Chromium based one, 81.0.396.0), but not in the generally available one (79.0.309.71) or in Google Chrome (79.0.3945.130), on the same machine with the same web page. In the browser where the web clipper doesn't work, removing and readding the extension didn't have any effect on the problem.

7 minutes ago, RichardI said:

I'm getting that same error right now; for me it happens in a dev build of Microsoft Edge (the new Chromium based one, 81.0.396.0), but not in the generally available one (79.0.309.71) or in Google Chrome (79.0.3945.130), on the same machine with the same web page. In the browser where the web clipper doesn't work, removing and readding the extension didn't have any effect on the problem.

That's interesting. Thank you for your reply. Strange that my experience is more uniform (on two mainstream browsers, both up to date, and both run on Win 10 and Ubuntu), but at least I have the sense that I am (that we are) not completely alone on this.

I cleared my browser cache and cookies in the browser that doesn't work, and I don't get the service unavailable error, but now when i click on the web clipper after logging into evernote, i get a pop up that says web clipper log in successful, but I don't get the usual web clipper window to select the clip. If I right-click the web clipper icon in Microsoft Edge and select Extension Options, I can see a log that does show a number of errors. For some reason in Google Chrome I can't see the logs when I right-click the web clipper icon and select Options.

2020\1\27 10:26:41 LOG ------ Button clicked -------

2020\1\27 10:26:42 LOG detected auth in slots Array:[0]

2020\1\27 10:26:42 LOG Reloading account in slot 0

2020\1\27 10:26:43 LOG Account logged out: r:{"errorCode":5,"parameter":"authenticationToken"}

2020\1\27 10:26:43 WRN Could not login while handling browser action. 
Error: Cannot read property 'isBusiness' of null  
TypeError: Cannot read property 'isBusiness' of null
    at Object.generateUserCD (chrome-extension://llhcnbijpnechllogkacbcjmkcgjbjfi/commons.js:26:105059)
    at chrome-extension://llhcnbijpnechllogkacbcjmkcgjbjfi/commons.js:26:118610

2020\1\27 10:26:54 LOG Reloading account in slot 0

2020\1\27 10:26:54 LOG Account logged out: r:{"errorCode":5,"parameter":"authenticationToken"}

2020\1\27 10:26:55 ERR Channel: Message 'tabClipper.checkBackgroundStatus' failed with error: 
Error: Tab must be specified  
Error: Tab must be specified
    at chrome-extension://llhcnbijpnechllogkacbcjmkcgjbjfi/commons.js:26:117725
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at n (chrome-extension://llhcnbijpnechllogkacbcjmkcgjbjfi/commons.js:17:281903)
    at chrome-extension://llhcnbijpnechllogkacbcjmkcgjbjfi/commons.js:17:282048
    at new Promise (<anonymous>)
    at new t (chrome-extension://llhcnbijpnechllogkacbcjmkcgjbjfi/commons.js:8:27179)
    at chrome-extension://llhcnbijpnechllogkacbcjmkcgjbjfi/commons.js:17:281837
    at Object._tabClipper (chrome-extension://llhcnbijpnechllogkacbcjmkcgjbjfi/commons.js:26:117902)
    at tabClipper (chrome-extension://llhcnbijpnechllogkacbcjmkcgjbjfi/commons.js:26:121157)
    at T._handleDispatchRequest (chrome-extension://llhcnbijpnechllogkacbcjmkcgjbjfi/commons.js:8:36113)

10 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

@Horace_NYC @RichardL Thank you for reaching out, and for notifying us of the issue you're encountering.

I've asked our team to investigate into this.

To clarify, you are able to login to Evernote, correct? 

You are only running into connectivity issues when using the Web Clipper, correct?

Hello, Shane, and thank you for getting in touch. That is correct. I am logged into Evernote ... on multiple devices. They sync properly and so on. It's just logging into the web clipper that seems not to work. Unfortunately, I do a fair amount of web clipping. Evernote is kind of my storage place for information that I want to have to hand in one source.

Quick update. I have been working on other things, but I kept my Firefox browser up and running. I have just clicked on the clipper icon, and it is working. I have just clipped a Simplified article. That's using the same Firefox browser instance with the same tabs (Financial Times, Bloomberg, and Medium) running -- so no clearing of caches or history or anything like that.

Again, this looks less like a problem on my machine and something on the service side. But it must not be very common, otherwise I imagine you'd be getting many, many more complaints.

I regret that I'm heading into a meeting and will be away from this machine for a while, but I remembered to copy and paste the activity logs from the clipper into the attached file for you.

Horace_NYC activity logs.txt

2 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

@Horace_NYC @RichardL We just implemented a fix that we hope will address the issue.

Can you retry now, and let me know if the issue persists?

Hello. That's great to hear. I cannot log out of Firefox at the moment, but I reopened Chrome and was able to log into the web clipper without problem. I will continue to keep an eye on it over the next few hours and, when I'm able, I'll completely shut down the browsers, reboot, and try it in both Linux and Windows, just to make sure it's all done and dusted.

• Like 1

I'm ok in Edge (79.0.309.71) and Chrome (79.0.3945.130), but the latest dev build of Edge (81.0.396.0) still doesn't work. When I right-click the web clipper button, it shows a Login to Evernote menu item, but when I click it a pop-up comes up, it says Web Clipper Login Successful (without explicitly asking me to sign in), but the web clipper window still doesn't come up. I've cleared my cache and cookies, but the problem persists. The log is showing an auth cookie error, but in the browser settings I've allowed all cookies, I'm not blocking third-party cookies, and I've turned off all tracking protection. Not sure if this is specifically an issue in this version of the browser, especially since it's a dev build and the official release version works fine for me.

Log.txt

• Ex Employees

@RichardI thanks for the update. What you're showing here seems like it may be a different auth issue. It looks like you're running clipper 7.12.2 and there's a fix for Chrome cookie settings in all Chrome 80+ versions (including Edge dev/beta builds running Chromium) coming soon in 7.12.4 if you keep checking for updates throughout this week as it becomes available. This should solve what you're seeing there in your dev build of Edge as I can reproduce the issue you mention there on Clipper 7.12.2 and 7.12.3 but not 7.12.4.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Shane D. said:

@Horace_NYC @RichardL We just implemented a fix that we hope will address the issue.

Can you retry now, and let me know if the issue persists?

Hello, again. Had a chance to take a break and try some things. I have been able to run all four web clippers on this machine:

1. Chrome on Ubuntu 19.10 (64-bit)
  2. Firefox on Ubuntu 19.10   (64-bit)
  3. Chrome on Win 10 Pro (64-bit)
  4. Firefox on Win 10 Pro   (64-bit) ... my main platform for web clipping.

Everything seems well behaved. For me at least it looks like your fix may have worked.

• Like 2