Stacking notebooks

Marci

I'm using Windows 10/Chrome and very new user of EN
I'm able to stack notebooks ONLY if I create the notebook to be stackable in the first place and only if I use the "..." on the right hand side. Is there no way to modify an already created notebook to make it stackable? And also, drag and drop has not been working. 

Thanks for the help.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Marci said:

I'm able to stack notebooks ONLY if I create the notebook to be stackable in the first place

Confirmed: a Stack can only exist if there are notebooks.     
There is no stack entity - it's just a text entry in the notebook record

Yes, there are notebooks. I created a notebook, then created another and wanted to stack it. I order to stack it, I had to create another notebook under the same name that was stackable. This means there's 2 notebooks with the same topic in my list -- one stackable, one not. I'm wanting to add the functionality of stackability to an already existing notebook. Videos show this is possible yet I'm not able to.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Marci said:

This means there's 2 notebooks with the same topic in my list -- one stackable, one not.

Sorry, I'm not a Windows user, but afaik  all notebooks are stackable   
Perhaps post a screenshot   

There's documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314158-How-to-organize-notebooks-into-stacks

I looked at that article and searched the knowledge base as well. I'm not sure this screenshot will help but here is what I was describing when I try to move a notebook so it stacks with another. 

image.png.f204972cfbc4be41f126f383365b9669.png

But if I want to move Fire and Grass so it stacks under Annual Fire, I cannot unless I create the "new stack" as indicated by the screenshot. If I do this, I have 2 notebooks of the same name, 1 stackable, 1 not.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Marci said:

If I do this, I have 2 notebooks of the same name, 1 stackable, 1 not.

Hi. 

It seems like your only miss-step is creating a 'parent' stack before you create a 'child' notebook.  It's not possible to 'promote' a notebook to a stack,  but once you have one or more notebooks that need a stack it's possible to create a new stack and move the notebooks into it.  It's also possible to right-click a stack name and add a new notebook directly into it.

Right-click an un-stacked notebook name in the left hand window;  choose Add to Stack.  From the bottom of that new list choose 'new stack'.  Your notebook is now in a stack called 'new stack' which you can rename as necessary.  Other notebooks can be dragged into that stack,  once it exists;  or you can right-click any single notebook and Add to Stack and choose that new name.

Stacks can only hold notebooks,  so you must have a notebook before you can create one.  Apparently.  😏

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...