Behind the Scenes: Building a Better Foundation for Evernote in the Cloud

• Shane D. featured and pinned this topic

It's nice for the back-end storage team to get their time in the limelight (and kudos to them for a successful storage migration last year).

That said, I was left wanting... more. I was hoping Ian would touch on the current state of beta testing, or what is coming next for the back-end engineering team now that the storage migration was done, etc. Something to look forward to while I (im)patiently wait to be invited to beta test the redesigned applications.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

As an only moderately techie user, this was kind of amazing to learn about. Rather than “trying to refuel a plane while it’s in flight,” it sounds to me more like “trying to transfer cargo from one plane to another while they're both in flight.”

One question: when I copy a link, it still has the form "evernote.com/shard/s316...." Will that legacy link format ultimately get migrated too? Not that it matters: it works just fine.

I've found your previous episodes interesting, and I appreciate that you guys are providing regular communications, but none have excited me as much as this one has … I look forward to hearing about how this new potential is developed.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5

It makes no sense to buy paint if the wall is crumbling.

Thanks for this insight, and thanks to the team that managed to not only refuel, but to switch planes while in flight. They really pulled this one off - without anybody noticing a drop in service quality. Superb job - now we are all eager to learn about the goodies that will arise from that over time.

• Like 3

Wow. Kudos for a super-great explanation that translated the technical into layperson's terms AND tied it to things important to customers. 

For the longest time I felt that Evernote was delivering "innovations" no one was asking for while ignoring fundamental problems. It was as though the company was adding floors to a structure with a rotted foundation. 

No more. Now Evernote is focusing on the problems users have been begging to have solved: quality, performance, scalability. 

I truly have confidence in Evernote's team to deliver on its promises. Yes, I understand the company is behind where it wanted to be (I saw Ian Small's update in my email this morning) in terms of delivering on certain promises. As far as I'm concerned, though, Evernote has not exhausted my patience. As long as the company keeps focusing on the things that matter I'm happy to stay on board for the ride.

And when the time to comes to surprise us with innovations, I have confidence they'll be things to get excited about.

• Like 1
On 1/31/2020 at 1:12 AM, Bill Myers said:

Wow. Kudos for a super-great explanation that translated the technical into layperson's terms AND tied it to things important to customers. 

For the longest time I felt that Evernote was delivering "innovations" no one was asking for while ignoring fundamental problems. It was as though the company was adding floors to a structure with a rotted foundation. 

No more. Now Evernote is focusing on the problems users have been begging to have solved: quality, performance, scalability. 

I truly have confidence in Evernote's team to deliver on its promises. Yes, I understand the company is behind where it wanted to be (I saw Ian Small's update in my email this morning) in terms of delivering on certain promises. As far as I'm concerned, though, Evernote has not exhausted my patience. As long as the company keeps focusing on the things that matter I'm happy to stay on board for the ride.

And when the time to comes to surprise us with innovations, I have confidence they'll be things to get excited about.