BUG: "please wait while Windows configures evernote" every time it's restarted

I recently upgraded from Basic to Premium.

It was recommended I download the app for my PC (windows), so I did.  Every time I click on the app icon to open Evernote, it goes through the whole install process again.

It first says "Extracting"...then "Preparing to install"...then "Please wait while Windows configures Evernote 6.18.4"....then it goes through the process (2-5 minutes).

How can I just click on the icon and go - no more reinstalling???  Or should I get rid of the app and just go to Evernote.com to access?

THANKS!!!

• Level 5*
On 6/20/2019 at 4:58 PM, tinamarino said:

I recently upgraded from Basic to Premium.

It was recommended I download the app for my PC (windows), so I did.  Every time I click on the app icon to open Evernote, it goes through the whole install process again.

It first says "Extracting"...then "Preparing to install"...then "Please wait while Windows configures Evernote 6.18.4"....then it goes through the process (2-5 minutes).

How can I just click on the icon and go - no more reinstalling???  Or should I get rid of the app and just go to Evernote.com to access?

THANKS!!!

Are you clicking on the app icon or the download of the Evernote  program?  You can check by going to the Start button and scroll through programs looking for Evernote.

IAC, you can refresh the install by using something like Revo Uninstaller to completely remove EN from your PC and then install EN again.  

• 6 months later...

I have this problem, too. Long time (10 years) premium Evernote user. So I REALLY know the ropes. Version 6.22.3 says on loading the program for the first time (like after i turn on the computer) "please wait while windows configures evernote"

I sure wish Evernote would fix this bug!

LONG time Evernote user here -- 10 years -- so I REALLY know the ropes:

This bug has been going on for a while now (users complaining about this problem in June 2019). Version 6.22.3. On two different accounts, 2 different computers. Windows 10 (all up to date), latest version of Evernote software.

Whenever I start the Evernote for Windows application, every single time it acts like it's reinstalling, presents a progress bar with the title:

Evernote v.6.22.3

Please wait while Windows configures Evernote.

Gathering required information...

[progress bar here]

That's a bug, Houston, and I sure wish Evernote would fix it!

Thank you!

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Donnelly77 said:

This bug has been going on for a while now (users complaining about this problem in June 2019).

I merged the discussions on this topic    

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Just to repeat - having Evernote reinstall instead of just starting is not expected (or normal) behaviour.

New shortcuts in your OS-of-choice are easy to set up with the installed app - worst case (per @CalS) totally uninstall and do a clean reinstall.

That's been done. Same bug. Further, uninstalling then reinstalling destroys internal application information necessary to debug. it's like cutting the wire to a fire alarm when a fire is raging. Seems like "problem solved" but it's not.

There is a reason why this is happening on two totally separate accounts and two totally separate installations. I hope Evernote gets to the bottom of it.

Thanks

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Donnelly77 said:

I hope Evernote gets to the bottom of it.

OK, but no-one has said they've raised this with Support yet,  so Evernote aren't necessarily even looking at it.  You're right that a clean install will kill any logs that might point to the error,  but we don't have that access here and the Forum is mainly user-to-user support - not a direct line to Evernote.  Staffers will read this post at some stage,  but meantime...

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*
21 hours ago, John0821 said:

Just wonder if anyone have a solution to this ? I been using Evernote since 2012 and this "Bug" is very annoying !

Hi.

On 1/21/2020 at 2:57 PM, gazumped said:

Just to repeat - having Evernote reinstall instead of just starting is not expected (or normal) behaviour.

New shortcuts in your OS-of-choice are easy to set up with the installed app - worst case (per @CalS) totally uninstall and do a clean reinstall.

-or,  as you're a subscriber - raise this with Support.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 1:32 PM, david@davidbernstein.com said:

I have raised a ticket with Support about this today. 

@david@davidbernstein.com did you ever get a reply from Evernote Support on this? I just ran into this again myself. It had happened a couple versions ago and now it's back again after a fresh install of v. 6.25.1.9091.

• Level 5*

Weird.  The installed Evernote executable runs the app;  the installer file gives you that message - they're two different packages.  If you navigate to the Evernote folder and run the Evernote.exe file,  does it run correctly?  If so,  just create the shortcut as (I think) above - right-click / send to desktop / create shortcut - and use that to start.  Bin any other shortcuts that you see.

Worst case I guess windows might have a crossed wire somewhere that diverts the startup command to the wrong file - best option then would be to nuke the current installation with Revo Uninstaller Free (you might want to back up your database folder first) and install Evernote again as Admin.