Auto-scrolling of notes?

blackseaer
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

hi,

Recently, I noticed a strange behavior.

When I move my mouse up/down over a note it scrolls up/down. This is good for reading, but horrible for editing - e.g. I want to move mouse towards toolbar to edit something, but at the same time note scrolls up and I loose context...

I use the newest FF and Windows. This problem occurs only in Web Evernote. No problem with/inside Google docs or Office365 online.

Any ideas?

• Like 6

I agree. I came here to learn how to disable this. The note scrolls and I loose my place when I take the mouse to the top of the browser to change tabs or to the bottom of the screen to change apps. I prefer scrolling on my own.

• Like 1

Me too. When I try to click the tool bar at the top of a page, it automatically scrolls up. This is annoying when I edit the page using the tool bar.

I can stop this auto-scrolling by reverting the UI to the "classic version" in the settings menu, but other parts of the UI also goes back to the classic style and maybe not recommended.

I am using evernote web on Windows 10 and Firefox 72.0.1 (64bits).

• Like 1

+1

this is very annoying behavior, especially since it's a new "default behavior" that I cannot disable.

this does not happen if I use Tusk (which is a electron app so it's odd this is different behavior than a web client)

Version: 0.23.0
Electron: 4.2.2
Chrome: 69.0.3497.128
Node: 10.11.0
V8: 6.9.427.31-electron.0

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Kolmir said:

hi,

Recently, I noticed a strange behavior.

When I move my mouse up/down over a note it scrolls up/down. This is good for reading, but horrible for editing - e.g. I want to move mouse towards toolbar to edit something, but in the same time note scrolls up and I loose context...

I use newest FF and Windows. This problem occurs only in Web Evernote. No problem with/inside Google docs or Office365 online.

Any ideas?

Yepp. I've just installed firefox on my linux laptop to verify. Exactly the same behaviour (automatic scrolling). 

I'm not sure this is intuitive. One thing that surprises me is that when the cursor leaves the editing window by the top or the bottom the content continues to scroll (for the web developers: onMouseLeave is either not set, or it does not cancel scrolling). This behaviour could do with a feature toggle.

Btw, chrome doesn't do this at the moment (chrome evernote version 6.3.1, firefox 5.28.0)

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I've tested for this in Opera, and it does not happen there. But in Firefox, yes, it definitely happens, and apparently only with Evernote. So there is some kind of odd interaction going on between EN and FF.

I generally don't use FF for Evernote, so it would be helpful if others who have Premium subscriptions report this directly to Evernote's tech support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new.

• Thanks 2

Hi, thank you guys for verification!

Yep, it only happens in FF. No problems with Chrome@MacBook.

@Dave-in-Decatur Good idea, thanks. I have just reported this issue to support too.

EDIT

I also noticed some problems with using of Arrow keys to move cursor in Web Notes - only at FF.

Edited by Kolmir
Update
  • Like 2

Can confirm the same behavior on FF in MacOSX, and I share the same complaints 😠

I could imagine this being useful in certain situations, as @Kolmir noted:

This is good for reading, but horrible for editing...

If this is feature, it may have value as a user configurable one that defaults to off.

• Thanks 1

Hello,
I am a premium user. I am a freelance software developer and  Ubuntu Linux + Firefox + Evernote Web are my daily drivers. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a good client on Linux (Tusk no way, sorry).

First time, I noticed the problem I supposed it is a firefox or system bug then I realized that it only happens on Ubuntu. I can confirm this annoying behaviour while using Firefox 72.0.1 on Ubuntu 18.04.3.

Hopefully, I instaled Chromium (open source version of Chrome) and scroll does not happen there. I'll continue to use Chromium only for EN until this bug is fixed.

• Level 5

Hi All,

Wanted to provide an update.

We believe we've identified the root cause of the issue, and hope to have a fix implemented very soon.

I'll follow-up here once the fix is live.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
On 1/24/2020 at 9:14 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Wanted to provide an update.

We believe we've identified the root cause of the issue, and hope to have a fix implemented very soon.

I'll follow-up here once the fix is live.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

So when could we expect the problem to be resolved? It's quite difficult for me to switch to the previous version of the Web client because the formatting abilities available in the new one have already been used in many notes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Hi All,

Thank you for your continued patience.

We believe we have a solution and are working to implement the fix.

We are hoping to have the fix in place before the end of next week.

I'll follow-up here once I have a definitive date.

Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/4/2020 at 9:20 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Thank you for your continued patience.

We believe we have a solution and are working to implement the fix.

We are hoping to have the fix in place before the end of next week.

I'll follow-up here once I have a definitive date.

Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime.

Thanx for working so hard on it. As of right now I am still facing this issue in Mozilla Firefox, on a windows 10 computer.

I'd like to stay updated on the progress.

• Like 1

I had the same issue from over a month - notes auto scroll up or down when the mouse pointer is moved up or down. I use mozilla firefox on windows. I use very long notes and use evernote few hours a  day and this is very annoying. Please fix this asap

2 hours ago, open0source said:

Still waiting on a fix! ❤️ Anyone have workarounds in the meantime?

Unfortunately not. It's risky to mess with the scripts behind editor.

As a dirty trick you can use Chrome browser instead of FF.

(In Chrome you can access the newest version 6.5.0 of EvN web editor. In FF only the older one version = 5.28 is available)

12 hours ago, saverio said:

Tthis morning the problem seems to have been solved, there is no more auto-scrolling here

Yep, there is a new (minor) version (5.29) available online. Problem seems fixed now :)

• Like 1
On 2/17/2020 at 4:53 PM, Kolmir said:

As a dirty trick you can use Chrome browser instead of FF.

(In Chrome you can access the newest version 6.5.0 of EvN web editor. In FF only the older one version = 5.28 is available)

FYI, most people are still being served 5.x (5.29 as of today), even on Chrome. The 6.x versions are in more limited testing.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 2/21/2020 at 2:50 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

As many of have already reported, we believe the issue with the auto-scrolling should now be fixed!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Has there been a regression? I have just started noticing this on my system. I'm using evernote web client v6.7.1 on Google chrome 79.0.3945.130 (on debian linux).

Placing the mouse pointer at the top or bottom of a note text area initiates scrolling, as per the above reports. It may have been happening for a while without my noticing, as I use keyboard shortcuts mostly, so the mouse usually only traverses those regions when leaving the tab or if I'm doing formatting.

Super frustrating, naturally.

• Confused 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...