Using Web beta editor to process Web clips

• Level 5

I find that frequently when I use Web clipper under Windows to save a Web page into Evernote, or share to Evernote from a browser on my Android phone, I get a lot of HTML formatting such as headers that makes the note difficult to use and edit. I've just discovered that the Web beta editor can fix such problems. I used it to open a note that had been clipped from the Web and had header styling near the top. I selected the header text, and the leftmost element of the editor's formatting toolbar showed it as styled "Large header." Clicking on that, I selected the option to "Apply 'Normal text.'" Voilà! The header formatting was removed, and it was normal text--and appeared as such (Tahoma 10 pt) in the Windows program. I tried this on another note that had a big block of material at the top that the beta editor showed in a box and identified as "HTML content." I found that I could move it out of the box and format it as I pleased. EDIT: In more recent versions of the Web beta, you can click the top bar of an "HTML content" box to bring up a "magic wand" icon and an option to convert the content to editable text, which I find generally works well.

This is a big plus for the Web beta editor, IMHO. From now on, it will be my go-to in reformatting clipped Web pages, until the same function is available in the Windows and Android apps. @Scott T., please pass this along to the devs!

Edited by Dave-in-Decatur
Updated information
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Ex Employees
1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

This is a big plus for the Web beta editor, IMHO. From now on, it will be my go-to in reformatting clipped Web pages, until the same function is available in the Windows and Android apps. @Scott T., please pass this along to the devs!

Done

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Thank you for this MOST HELPFUL tip. In another thread, I had mentioned the issues with clipping and formatting. Most of the time I use the desktop app; rarely do I ever pull up a note in a browser. I'll try to "fix" some of my notes online now. This is better advice than the person who replied. There was cumbersome advice that required copying and pasting into notepad then to EN or to print to PDF first (which is always my last option).

He said I and others not happy with the way EN clips web pages should look elsewhere if we were not happy with the way EN "works"...

• Like 2

Second that. The new web editor beta (hopefully to arrive on other platforms) is great. "Simplifying" web clips on my Windows Desktop version often leads to problems with images and the like; I started resorting to the Web Editor Beta for most of that work. The clear indication of what is HTML content, and much better results in converting that to editable (simplified) content are far superior.

Also, the editor allows for some features like multiple highlight colors (although the yellow for whatever reason is not the yellow of the desktop, but an uglier variant --- at least in my view), better formatting (headers, and correct representation of those, as opposed to the broken spacing on the desktop editor), etc.

Bit shout-out to the creators of this web editor. After many years as premium user and on the verge of jumping ship, I've become more enthusiastic about the recent improvements and the roadmap.

• Like 4