Is it possible to edit existing text

I have a document I’ve done a rough draft, and now I would like to go back and edit. I would like to be able to highlight some of the text make notes next to the text. It appears there are capabilities to edit a PDF, but not Evernote document itself. I have no PDF of this document and, unfortunately, the feature that Evernote used to have to convert a document to PDF is gone. Can someone tell me what is the easiest way to transfer text from Evernote to a common app, not word, in which I can edit and highlight?

• Level 5*

Yes, we can edit text of existing Evernote notes

Annotation is a different subject, and is only supported for pdfs and images   
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005587-How-to-annotate-images-and-PDFs-in-Evernote

>>unfortunately, the feature that Evernote used to have to convert a document to PDF is gone

I don't think PDF conversion was ever supported by Evernote/IOS
There are work-arounds, for example Siri shortcuts

Thanks for your reply. Yes Evernote used to have the capability to create a PDF. If you check you’ll see I’ve been a user since forever, and a great many features have been deleted and years ago.

I have tried to edit the text, do highlighting, but it doesn’t work. I can get the little menu at the bottom of the screen but when I touched the highlighting icon and then run it across the text, nothing happens. What’s the trick to get it to work?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, salgud said:

when I touched the highlighting icon and then run it across the text, nothing happens. What’s the trick to get it to work?

Select text > touch the highlight icon 

Now that I have given editing directly in Evernote a try, it appears it is not feasible even though it’s possible in theory. At least on an iPad I’m finding it virtually impossible to select text precisely, much less to highlight it, and As yet have found no way to completely remove the highlighting when done. Does anyone do this sort of thing on a regular basis and is there some free or at least reasonably priced application that will do this relatively easily?

• Level 5

No problem at all: I tap to the beginning of the text I want to copy / clip. A little menu shows asking „select / all“. Click on select, and the following word will be highlighted. You can as well double-tap With finger or pencil on a word, and it will be selected.

Pull and drag the symbol at the end of the word to where you want the selection to end. Once you lift your finger / pencil, an new menu appears with the editing options, like copy, cut, change properties (bold, italic, underline) and more.

If you want to undo, you can shake the iPad (this must be enabled in settings), or use the rounded arrows at the top left of the screen keyboard.

All this works the same as in other apps on the iPad, so changing the app will probably not help.

Markdown apps allow more editing by typed commands. This is thought for uses like blogging. If I want to write markdown, I use iAWriter.

On 1/12/2020 at 5:50 AM, PinkElephant said:

No problem at all: I tap to the beginning of the text I want to copy / clip. A little menu shows asking „select / all“. Click on select, and the following word will be highlighted. You can as well double-tap With finger or pencil on a word, and it will be selected.

Pull and drag the symbol at the end of the word to where you want the selection to end. Once you lift your finger / pencil, an new menu appears with the editing options, like copy, cut, change properties (bold, italic, underline) and more.

If you want to undo, you can shake the iPad (this must be enabled in settings), or use the rounded arrows at the top left of the screen keyboard.

All this works the same as in other apps on the iPad, so changing the app will probably not help.

Markdown apps allow more editing by typed commands. This is thought for uses like blogging. If I want to write markdown, I use iAWriter.

Thanks for this summary, some of them I had forgotten. Nonetheless, I have found it just too tedious to do serious writing on my iPad, particularly getting specific text selected. While, in theory, you can just drag on the markers, in practice, they seem to have a mind of their own, with strongly preferred locations favored, such as the spot immediately before a word rather than in the word. I've decided it's time to get back on my iMac where I have complete control. I guess I was just being lazy anyway :).

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Basically I agree - I do any heavy lifting on my Mac as well.

The iPad is fine for browsing, and for minor editing as well, like adding a few sentences to a note, or working down a checklist.

What can facilitate editing is an external keyboard with function- and arrowkeys.