Excerpts from a web page

Willy Ritch

I'm using Evernote on MacOS and have the Chrome extension.  

When I find an article on a web page I want to read, I usually take notes by copying and pasting excerpts from it. Right now I save the entire article using the Evernote chrome extension, and then while reading it in Evernote create a separate where I copy and paste excerpts from the full article.  I also tried reading the article online and using the Chrome extension to save a clip instead of the full article.  That works for the first excerpt I want to copy. But then when I copy another clip in the same article, Evernote creates a separate note. So, for example, if I found five different clips in an article I want to save, using that method would result in five separate notes in Evernote.

I can also save the full article and highlight sections--that sort of works for me.  But there must be a better way.  If I'm reading a 5,000 word article I want the end result to be a note with the 10% of the text that I want to save.

BTW, I tried chatting with tech support on this and they didn't have a good suggestion and instead opened a ticket so they could research a better answer.

Thanks.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, Willy Ritch said:

using that method would result in five separate notes in Evernote

Hi.  Is note merge not an option for this?  One thing which I use when clipping more than one item per web page is to clip the first item,  then open the note and copy/ paste more items as I go along.  It's a good idea to copy the page URL too so you have a visible link back to the main content.  (The in-note link may not be visible on some platforms.)

• Level 5*
On 12/31/2019 at 10:49 AM, Willy Ritch said:

So, for example, if I found five different clips in an article I want to save, using that method would result in five separate notes in Evernote.

You could use the Capture Selection hot key (Ctrl+Win+A in Windows desktop) to save the bits you want and then merge the resultant notes when you are done.  Works best if you perform the read at one time I suppose.  IAC, not particularly elegant but just one step at the end of the process.

• Level 5

My preference would be to copy ("print") the page to a PDF, open this in "PDF Expert" (you need to purchase it, sometimes there are offers for about 40$), edit it there and send the result into EN.

The round trip takes longer, but the control over content is much better, including page control, highlighting and annotating.

PDF Expert comes in handy as well to edit pdfs already saved in EN on the Mac. Right click on the attachment, "open with ...", editing (but no name changing !), then on closing it will save directly back into the EN-note, with all changes.