Searching for notes

GuyMickle

Idea

I am using Evernote for the first time and am testing it before buying.

I am using the Evernote free version
Version 7.14 (458244 Direct)
Editor: 69.3.10951 (15add1e)
on my MacBook Pro using Mac Os X 10.15.2 (19C57)

I have created various notes and am now testing the search feature, which does not seem to work properly.

I have added several notes including the following one:

Learning about the brain changes everything: David Rock at TEDxTokyo

When I search for the word TEDx, the note shows up; but when I search for the word Tokyo, I get the message: "No notes found".

Why will it recognise the first part of the word TEDxTokyo but not the second part?

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

781442617_ScreenShot2019-12-23at22_58_39.thumb.png.36d2ec992c2cc719dfb8e505a3c684d6.png

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 12/23/2019 at 3:02 PM, GuyMickle said:

When I search for the word TEDx, the note shows up; but when I search for the word Tokyo, I get the message: "No notes found".

What you are seeing is the expected behavior within EN.  EN searches only work for the beginning of words. 

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, GuyMickle said:

Good to know. I’ll have make sure I use more tags if it only searches the first part of the word!

Yes, tags and notebooks are the best way to whittle searches down to a reasonable set of notes in a search result, adding text to the search if need be.  I mostly use tags, but there are those who prefer more notebooks. 

Try to be as simple and generic as possible with your tags.  My view is, too many tags won't help find things.  Search is strong even if it is just from the beginning of the word.  For example I have a tag named PC.Stuff.  So a search for tag:PC.Stuff someproductname will return all notes referencing that product.  Of course how well  this works is a function of the product name being used in the notes, but it hasn't been a problem for me.

I don't add many tags anymore.  I will add tags for new trips or projects or companies, but other than that I have the inventory I need.  Could be a use case thing.  FWIW.

• Level 5
On 12/26/2019 at 11:37 AM, GuyMickle said:

Good to know. I’ll have make sure I use more tags if it only searches the first part of the word!

A different perspective from a user who has been using Evernote for 11 years and has 30,065 notes in my primary account and an additional 27,000 notes in my secondary account.  My preference is to use broad Notebook names (Pending, Archived, Personal, Finance) and use specific Tag names as shown below.

In my opinion, some of the advantages with my tag system are:

* well structured for easy additions
* logical and consistent
* dashes for multiple word tags eliminates need for " "
* easy to remember tag names
* even if I forget the tag, just type the first letter and all the possible choices appear
* close to a hierarchy setup (true hierarchy does not exist with Evernote)

Tags for close family members
Fam-JLB
Fam-DLB
Fam-BEB

Tags for companies I do business with. Yes, there are a lot of tags over the past 11 years.
Com-Culligan
Com-Motorola
Com-Spectrum

Tags for insurance matters
Ins-Home
Ins-Medical
Ins-Dental
Ins-Car

Tags for current and previous employment
Job-Example-Corp-1
Job-Example-Corp-2
Job-Example-Corp-3

Tags for government organizations
Govt-County
Govt-Fed
Govt-State
Govt-Town

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

My preference is to use broad Notebook names (Pending, Archived, Personal, Finance) and use specific Tag names as shown below

I'm not clear about the difference between "broad" and "specific"
I use minimal notebooks; basically a single Filing Cabinet notebook
Tags are my organization tool

>>close to a hierarchy setup (true hierarchy does not exist with Evernote)

A hierarchy is supported for tags on my Mac, but I also replicate it using prefix naming, as per your Com-Motorola

For archiving, I use a tag (!Archive)

>>advantages with my tag system

An important advantage of tags vs notebooks is that multiple tags can be assigned to a note
If you assign a note to a notebook (example Personal),
- you can't assign a second notebook (example Archived)

• Level 5
On 12/27/2019 at 4:38 PM, DTLow said:

I'm not clear about the difference between "broad" and "specific"

I have a few notebooks. They are all Broad  (general, not focused) - Notebook example is Financial, Personal, or Political-issues

I have hundreds of tags. They are very specific - Tag  example is Com-Amex,  Brexit, or SpyGate

• Level 5*
On 12/30/2019 at 9:24 AM, jbenson2 said:

They are all Broad  (general, not focused) - Notebook example is Financial, Personal, or Political-issues

And exclusive; a note can't be both Personal and Financial, and also in a shared/offline notebook