Backup-restore for web client

ehrt74

Idea

13 replies to this idea

49 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Backup-Restore is available as Note History https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858-How-to-use-note-history-to-view-older-versions-of-a-note
Or, are you requesting Export-Import features as implemented on the Mac/Windows client's

I don't know the Windows or Mac clients, so I couldn't say.

At the moment, I don't think I have a way to export my data from Evernote. Not that I am planning on doing so, but it would be nice to have the possibility :)

• Level 5

You can export using one of the desktop clients. This can be a one-timer, if you want to switch. Or you could do it repetitively, if you want to create a backup.

First step would be to install the EN client on a PC or Mac. Then log in, which will cause the complete database to download.

Once this is done, the data can be exported into an ENEX file, for that many other programs offer import routines.

For me the possibility to leave is one of the strongest arguments to stay. Many other programs offer an EN import function, but no adequate way to export, creating a lock-in situation for your personal data. EN is different, you can always downgrade to Basic, preserving your data on the server, or choose the above described way to export and archive your data.

12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You can export using one of the desktop clients. This can be a one-timer, if you want to switch. Or you could do it repetitively, if you want to create a backup.

First step would be to install the EN client on a PC or Mac. Then log in, which will cause the complete database to download.

Once this is done, the data can be exported into an ENEX file, for that many other programs offer import routines.

For me the possibility to leave is one of the strongest arguments to stay. Many other programs offer an EN import function, but no adequate way to export, creating a lock-in situation for your personal data. EN is different, you can always downgrade to Basic, preserving your data on the server, or choose the above described way to export and archive your data.

Getting a computer with an operating system that runs the desktop client would be quite expensive for just this one task.

This would seem to be an easy enough thing for Evernote to implement.

To be totally clear, i'm very much enjoying Evernote and I have no desire to leave. It would however be nice to be able to.

Evernote seems to still have a desktop-client-first strategy. This seems to be changing rapidly nowadays and it would be nice to see the web client (which is already totally usable and in some ways very pleasant) get some of the bells and whistles offered on the desktop.

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, ehrt74 said:

Getting a computer with an operating system that runs the desktop client would be quite expensive for just this one task.

This would seem to be an easy enough thing for Evernote to implement.

To be totally clear, i'm very much enjoying Evernote and I have no desire to leave. It would however be nice to be able to.

Evernote seems to still have a desktop-client-first strategy. This seems to be changing rapidly nowadays and it would be nice to see the web client (which is already totally usable and in some ways very pleasant) get some of the bells and whistles offered on the desktop.

What do you want to back up to, another cloud service?  Evernote databases can get very large.  Backing up to another cloud service that one has to pay for seems impractical to me.  If you ever need to move your data just borrow someone’s Mac or PC for this one time task.

2 hours ago, s2sailor said:

What do you want to back up to, another cloud service?  Evernote databases can get very large.  Backing up to another cloud service that one has to pay for seems impractical to me.  If you ever need to move your data just borrow someone’s Mac or PC for this one time task.

I was just surprised that there wasn't a button under my account page online with something like "export all data". If Evernote offers this to users of the desktop software, they could offer it to everybody (i.e. offer it on the web version).

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

Evernote seems to still have a desktop-client-first strategy.

Also my opinion; I'm a Mac/Windows user - the other platforms are supplementary

>>I think that's the wrong way of looking at things.

Like - I reject your reality and substitute my own  😊

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Also my opinion; I'm a Mac/Windows user - the other platforms are supplementary

I think that's the wrong way of looking at things. Anything Evernote implements for the web client can be used by everybody with a computer. I'm a linux user. The web client is the only client i have for Evernote on my desktop (the third-party projects offering Evernote for linux are actually just wrappers around the web client). If Evernote develops a feature for the Windows client or the Mac client, they have developed a feature for Windows users or for Mac users. When Evernote develops a feature for the web client they have developed a feature for everybody. 

What a number of companies do is just develop a web client and then offer "desktop applications" which are actually just wrappers around the web client. This would seem to me to be a much more efficient way of doing things.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

If this option did exist, where would you expect the data to back up to?

To my computer in an archive.

Let me be more precise. I would expect to be presented with a url from which i could download all my data in some common archive format. If i choose to download it to my desktop, my phone, upload to my server or upload to another service would then be up to me.

Edited by ehrt74
Added clarity.
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, ehrt74 said:

To my computer in an archive.

So if you are using a computer and not just a Chromebook, why not load that client software and use the exporting capabilities that provides?  The web version has gotten better but it doesn't have all of the capability that the Mac/PC versions provide.

Just now, s2sailor said:

So if you are using a computer and not just a Chromebook, why not load that client software and use the exporting capabilities that provides?  The web version has gotten better but it doesn't have all of the capability that the Mac/PC versions provide.

Don't knock Chromebooks :)  They are quite capable computers and i enjoy their simplicity. At work I deal with Linux servers and virtual machines all day long.

The way I see it, the web version has made great progress in the last few years and I'm looking forward to the Evernote web team achieving feature parity with the desktop machines. A simple way to offer back-up is just one of the little things that still need to be implemented, and it probably isn't top on the list.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, ehrt74 said:

The way I see it, the web version has made great progress in the last few years and I'm looking forward to the Evernote web team achieving feature parity with the desktop machines. A simple way to offer back-up is just one of the little things that still need to be implemented, and it probably isn't top on the list.

They are working on feature parity so maybe this is something that will show up eventually.  In the meantime, get chummy with someone with a Mac or Windows system. 😀

• Like 1