Integration with PDF reader that can export to Evernote

Dear Evernote users,

I'm quite new to Evernote and I've been enjoying it a lot but I wonder if I can make experience even better.

As an academic I need to read a lot of quite technical papers and sometimes I like to highlight parts of the paper that I found interesting. I was wondering if there is any PDF reader that allows me to highlight text and than exports all the highlighted text to an Evernote note so I can easily go through the more important topic easily.

Thanks

Hmmm, I've never tried that but a quick check with PDF Expert (macOS) shows that it's possible to export highlights to HTML/text/Markdown ... so while no direct export it should work to export from PDF Export to a file and then import that file into Evernote

Also Skim should have the ability to export highlights as text in some form.

3 hours ago, cbornes said:

Dear Evernote users,

I'm quite new to Evernote and I've been enjoying it a lot but I wonder if I can make experience even better.

As an academic I need to read a lot of quite technical papers and sometimes I like to highlight parts of the paper that I found interesting. I was wondering if there is any PDF reader that allows me to highlight text and than exports all the highlighted text to an Evernote note so I can easily go through the more important topic easily.

Thanks

If you are on Mac/iOS PDFPen and PDFPen Pro both have native Evernote integrations for sending to Evernote. You can also set a keyboard shortcut to send a document to Evernote.

Here's the link to the developers website. 

https://smilesoftware.com/pdfpen/version11/

The app is also part of the Setapp service which is nice.

2 hours ago, jemostrom said:

Hmmm, I've never tried that but a quick check with PDF Expert (macOS) shows that it's possible to export highlights to HTML/text/Markdown ... so while no direct export it should work to export from PDF Export to a file and then import that file into Evernote

Also Skim should have the ability to export highlights as text in some form.

Sadly I'm not on MacOS so I'm out for both options.

10 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

If you are on Mac/iOS PDFPen and PDFPen Pro both have native Evernote integrations for sending to Evernote. You can also set a keyboard shortcut to send a document to Evernote.

Here's the link to the developers website. 

https://smilesoftware.com/pdfpen/version11/

The app is also part of the Setapp service which is nice.

I'm neither a MacOS or iOS user so it's not an option.

• Level 5*

You might look at a browser extension called "getpocket" which will clip browser content (if that's how your PDF's are viewed) and allow highlighting and tagging.  Pocket opens as a web page,  so Evernote's Clipper (or straightforward copy/ paste) could then be used to 'clip' sections.  May be too simplistic for your needs,  but FWIW...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, gazumped said:

You might look at a browser extension called "getpocket" which will clip browser content (if that's how your PDF's are viewed) and allow highlighting and tagging.  Pocket opens as a web page,  so Evernote's Clipper (or straightforward copy/ paste) could then be used to 'clip' sections.  May be too simplistic for your needs,  but FWIW...

I always forget about this option. 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

You might look at a browser extension called "getpocket" which will clip browser content (if that's how your PDF's are viewed) and allow highlighting and tagging.  Pocket opens as a web page,  so Evernote's Clipper (or straightforward copy/ paste) could then be used to 'clip' sections.

Nice advice, thanks. And yes, PDFPen - is one of the best apps for highlighting any details in PDF files. There was a time, half a year ago, when I go going on vacation and I was simply download some ebooks in different formats for this. And maybe the only online library I could find which allowed me to download any book is this free books resource. It has huge amount of ebooks in it's database and gives any user a chance to download any of that book with no payments.

• Like 1
On 12/19/2019 at 9:17 PM, cbornes said:

Dear Evernote users,

Thanks

On Windows there is a neat shortcut for this type of use case.

Say you are reading any content on the web, or local copy of PDF. Just highlight the text with your cursor and Copy or "Ctrl + C", then hit "Ctrl + Alt + V". This opens up a new note in Evernote, and pastes this content. These new notes are automatically given the title "Untitled Note" which you can make a search shortcut "intitle:"Untitled Note" to easily find them. You can then select all these notes and merge under whichever paper you were reading. Note that this requires Evernote to be running in background.

I have found this trick way too late as I was also looking for a similar use (I'm an academic too). It is cool that Evernote has nuggets like this.

• Like 1