Behind the Scenes: Putting the Pieces Together in Evernote for iOS and Android

• Shane D. featured and pinned this topic
  • Level 5*

Looks great.  I hope that some of the search results inconsistencies and the like are also being ironed out in this process.    Edit button should save a lot of posts on the forum. :)

Still interested in the impact of custom formats in current notes and what happens when the new stuff comes out.  I have tables that look fine on the desktop but not so much on IOS or the web.  I use a smaller font on the desktop which does not transition well to the new generics.  Would be nice if there were a smooth transition of some sort, what does small  medium large on IOS translate to re the font sizes on the browser and the desktop such that one gets the same relative view on all platforms.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.c9ce65f550422f49ce497900e79a0a67.png  IOS.thumb.jpg.4482887cf24584ca97183286d6a58236.jpg       Web.png.9f0423af9eb0eba1e44b8e01b01c5845.png

• Like 1

Thanks for posting a new video of this series! It is great to see how formatting and tag management will behave in the future and I am pretty excited about the things I have seen.

I am also very curious how reminders will look like in the future. I hope they will not be treated like the ugly stepchild anymore and that some beta users are heavily using them to give you proper feedback on that.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Anything to learn about creating a local database on mobile devices as well ?

Offline notebooks  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/2090051777C73EBD2-C27C-4D3B-BCE1-2B3E475E5021.thumb.jpeg.268d803186a21f4009bb4188d14d4d7a.jpeg

>>This is NOT the same !  ...
relevant operations like tagging or moving multiple notes at once, joining notes etc. are not possible.

That's a different point.  I'd also like the feature to merge notes, and other batch operations.     
imho  This is not an online/local data issue

>>Because it will only download one note at a time

Where does that restriction come from?

• Level 5

This is NOT the same !

The local offline data is only used when offline. Whenever online, the server data is used.

The design does not allow to use the availability of the data - the client does not support it.

Because it will only download one note at a time, relevant operations like tagging or moving multiple notes at once, joining notes etc. are not possible.

This makes administration of EN on a device like an iPad difficult. iPad-only is today inefficient at best.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Please give some consideration to creating a video on reminders.  I'm sure I'm not the only one interested to see what is planned in that area.

If reminders on Android stayed more or less the same, then that would be fine by me. They follow along the current search filter, the reminders list can be expanded or snapped shut, and the list can be ordered arbitrarily or by due date. This is all similar to the Windows Evernote application. They need to be added to the web application. I don't know how they play out on the Apple devices currently, so I can't comment on those.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

With respect to the video, I like how this effort seems to be playing out. Removing device-specific quirks (quirkarounds??) is really important to make the user experience similar/identical across different devices.  A lot of people depend on nested tags, so they need to be supported everywhere, in a similar fashion  (Android kinda sorta had already, as well, but presented differently than, say, on Windows application). Moving tags around the hierarchy did seem a little awkward, still; I suppose that drag and drop stuff is less useful  on small-screened devices, but it's so ingrained in most of us now that it would be welcome, too.  Making search work the same everywhere is also critical -- I've only seen the new search on the web beta, and have some issues with that, but the focus on responsive results stuff is welcome.

I think that the feature that I would most like to see added everywhere is multi-selection of notes, which opens the door to mass tagging notebook change operations, as well as note merging.

This is all good stuff, and thanks/congratulations, Evernote!

• Like 3

Very happy to see another behind the scenes before the end of the year, and it's great to see what appears to be a close to fully functioning redesigned mobile client. Hoping to get invited into the beta test soon. (By the way, will previous mobile client beta testers get prioritized at all? 🤔)

One comment - while I love the expanded tag management features on mobile, why is moving tags so clunky? I would have thought drag and drop would be much smoother.

It was great to watch this video of all the amazing changes being made to the mobile platform and across all of Evernote.

Will we be able to drag checklist items on mobile to reorder them just as we can on the new web interface?

Keep up the great work - the changes are inspiring me to use Evernote in ways that I have always wanted!!!

Thanks,
-Andrew

• Like 1

I appreciate the transparency and progress highlighted in this video. But man oh man everything they're showing seems so..... basic. Much needed? Yes. But definitely foundational. It's hard to imagine how EN got in this situation to begin with.

Anyway, glad they're making an honest go of it.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

It is the communicated strategy from EN management to rebuild the software foundation, not to generate new functions. So I see them starting to deliver on the promise. Nothing wrong with a new neat and clean app, and furthermore with a unified user experience over mobile platforms.

For me EN is a key piece of my paperless productivity setup. I do not need fancy stuff to play with, I need solid functions and high performance. For me they are on the right track with what they do, instead of selling socks. Maybe this marketing and gadget oriented thinking was what led into where we are with EN, and what they are fixing now.

Just let the engineers sort it out !

• Like 7
Just now, PinkElephant said:

It is the communicated strategy from EN management to rebuild the software foundation, not to generate new functions. So I see them starting to deliver on the promise. Nothing wrong with a new neat and clean app, and furthermore with a unified user experience over mobile platforms.

For me EN is a key piece of my paperless productivity setup. I do not need fancy stuff to play with, I need solid functions and high performance. For me they are on the right track with what they do, instead of selling socks. Maybe this marketing and gadget oriented thinking was what led into where we are with EN, and what they are fixing now. Just let the engineers sort it out !

Yes to all this, but in addition, a big new feature for me this year has been the more "semantic" editor in the web client that's hopefully coming soon to the other clients. I couldn't use Evernote as a serious note-taking and drafting tool without it. (Before this came along I was just using Evernote for web clipping, and kept refreshing the "H1, H2, H3" thread to look for any hope in that area!)

It might sound basic or foundational to some folks on here but literally makes the difference for me between using EN or not!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Ian Small said:

Reminders are used by a relatively small cross-section of our user population (about 1%, believe it or not).

Well I am part of the 1%.  Right now of my  44,973 notes 1,896 have reminders, 4.2%.  I didn't realize that.  I use EN to manage all my task/reminder stuff.  Anyway, if you need any assistance with the beta, I'm in.  Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Ian Small said:

1. Reminders are used by a relatively small cross-section of our user population (about 1%, believe it or not). 

Also part of the 1%.  Reminders are an essential component of my task management workflow
No complaints, but I had to implement a work-around (scripting) for recurring reminders

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Ian Small said:

We believe reminders are important.  Partially because some of those 1% are our most engaged users, but also because reminders is functionality that helps you do more than simply remember things, by asking Evernote to surface something back to you at a relevant time, they help you accomplishing something.  And we think that is important.  A better design for reminders might get more than 1% of users taking advantage of it.

Thanks for the detailed response and glad to hear that Evernote considers reminders important.  I am currently not part of the 1% but was for many years. I moved away from Evernote reminders because other apps were just more seamless for my current workflow. It will be very interesting to see what the team comes up with.

That’s so good to hear. I believe that if reminders will be build the right way the % of users will be increased.

I would really like to know if part of the mobile update includes the browser’s tables capabilities.

Many people now , including myself are mobile first, or just mobile. I would love to be able to do everything on my iPad.

• Like 1

We've been waiting for font formatting, tag management, butt edit thing. As long as it's stable and not uses too much space of our phone, why not. And definitely share notes thru blogging platform like Wordpress or Medium, and such but actually Evernote itself could be good blogging but regarding privacy concerns it seems a lot work so we get it. 

I have nothing but positive feelings about this video, the functionality that was demo'd in it, Evernote's new transparency, and the overall strategy. I think the company is fully delivering on its promises for the first time that I can remember.

To another poster's point: yes, this stuff is to an extent "basic" and foundational. But for Evernote to truly innovate, it must do so from a solid foundation. For the longest time Evernote's leadership showed no evidence of grasping that. Now they do.

When @Ian Small started as CEO I was using Evernote more than I do today. It's no reflection on him or the company's strategy. I am a practitioner of Getting Things Done (GTD), and I decided I could benefit from a task manager more dedicated to GTD. But... the more I see from Evernote recently, the more interested I am in finding more ways to leverage the product again. 

And when it comes time for the company to shift gears from foundation work to innovation (which is where I'm guessing it will head), I think we'll have reason to be excited. Because Evernote will be able to do so with a product that is strong on quality and consistency, and with a leadership team that shows an ability to truly listen to customers and deliver answers to our problems.

Mr. Small: great job so far. Thanks for getting me excited about Evernote again.

• Level 5*
On 12/28/2019 at 1:11 PM, Ian Small said:

Reminders are used by a relatively small cross-section of our user population (about 1%, believe it or not)

Out of interest, is this for active users (whatever that means) versus anyone who ever created an account?  Not going to make much difference I suppose, just wondering how the stats are created.  Thanks.

• Level 5

Good question. Maybe to get the complete picture would be to find out how many users share EN links to other task managers like Todoist, Wunderlist (RIP) or like in my case Things 3. I share content by a link into Things, because I want to have my active reminders in just one place. And this place is not EN, because task handling in a dedicated task manager is far superior today.

For me the question is

How many Users of EN use a task manager as well ?

How many of these share content from EN with their TM ?

How many users that use reminders in EN use another TM without sharing ?

How many task manager users  use no EN reminders?

etc.

The question to EN is whether the current reminders work so badly that people refrain from using them, but use other apps to do the job.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I share content by a link into Things, because I want to have my active reminders in just one place. And this place is not EN, because task handling in a dedicated task manager is far superior today.

Horses for courses on this stuff.  I wanted ALL my stuff in one place, so EN became the place.  Trade offs re a dedicated task manager were okay for me.  🤷‍♂️

On 12/28/2019 at 3:11 PM, Ian Small said:

Thanks for your request @s2sailor.  Reminders are a hot topic across a number of different forum threads and social media conversations related to our efforts to converge the UX.  Thread tone ranges from the productive ("what are you going to do with reminders?") to the understandably impatient ("why haven't you implemented reminders yet?") all the way to imminent doom ("oh no! they're going to take reminders away!").  In response to your constructive question - thank you! - let me provide the following update:

1. Reminders are used by a relatively small cross-section of our user population (about 1%, believe it or not).  That's why it's not the first thing we've focussed on.

2. We believe reminders are important.  Partially because some of those 1% are our most engaged users, but also because reminders is functionality that helps you do more than simply remember things, by asking Evernote to surface something back to you at a relevant time, they help you accomplishing something.  And we think that is important.  A better design for reminders might get more than 1% of users taking advantage of it.

3. Finally, as they are implemented today, reminders are one of the most divergently designed functional elements of Evernote across all the devices we support - both from a UX and a functionality standpoint.  Reminders are implemented, displayed, and controlled very differently across Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and the Web.

Part of our journey this year has been about trying to converge the UX across all our devices, so that Evernote users can expect to access a common set of functionality in a predictable and coherent way across all the devices on which they use us.  Obviously, we are applying this as a design principle, not as a design constraint - mobile phones have built-in cameras, and so we need to expose functionality on mobile devices for which there is a less-than-obvious corollary on a desktop system.  The same applies to OS-specific capabilities (eg. Siri, Android widgets, etc.).  But as much as possible, we'd like to make common features - like reminders - work the same way with the same UX and the same functionality across all devices.

The reason we haven't shown anything about reminders yet is because we haven't yet decided how exactly to do that, both for the functionality that already exists and in terms of future-proofing against where we'd like to take reminders in the long run.  When we have a design for reminders that we think satisfies all the criteria we have for it, we'll be more than happy to put it in front of you.  Given the timelines we are on, it's hard to predict at this point whether that will be via a video or through an actual beta release.

And a quick word of reassurance to anyone focussed on the imminent doom scenario:  No, we're not taking reminders away.  We're just trying to get them right.

Back to lurking
ian  

Thank you so much for the info on reminders. I think if people saw the value in these they'd use them more often. I regularly forward emails into Evernote with reminders set in the subject line, such an amazing tool. 

• Level 5*
On 12/30/2019 at 4:02 PM, CalS said:

Out of interest, is this for active users (whatever that means) versus anyone who ever created an account?  Not going to make much difference I suppose, just wondering how the stats are created.  Thanks.

The 1% figure was surprisingly low to me as well.  Stated a little differently, it would be interesting to know what the usage percentage is for paying customers.  I suspect the 1% is based on total users, however that is defined.  I have little interest in what the free community uses or wants ... I think they already have it too good 😁.

• Like 1
On 12/30/2019 at 5:48 PM, PinkElephant said:

The question to EN is whether the current reminders work so badly that people refrain from using them, but use other apps to do the job.

I moved my GTD lists to another application so I could easily link projects and actions. There are workarounds for doing that in Evernote but none of them are easy. That's beyond the scope of this thread, though. And there may not be a good use case for Evernote to ever offer that kind of functionality.

But there's a part of me that misses having everything, including my GTD lists, in Evernote. 

I used reminders liberally, and they were an important part of my action management scheme in Evernote. I thought they worked OK... but left some things to be desired. When Evernote decides to tackle them, I'd love an opportunity to be part of a preview and/or beta group. Depending on what Evernote does in the future, I could be lured into bringing my action management lists back into the Evernote world.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 12/30/2019 at 2:48 PM, PinkElephant said:

whether the current reminders work so badly that people refrain from using them

Just wondering about the "work so badly", and the expectations

My use of the reminder feature is to store start date and completion date/status   
In this regards, it seems to work well, and is data I can work with
Also working; create reminder, set date, mark done  (but I use scripting on a Mac)
                          and the Search feature

Wow... really glad I checked back on this thread. The discussion about Reminders really could use a separate post.  After never using Reminders for more than 8 years in Evernote, they have become a huge part of my workflow over the past year.  While it is inconsistent for setting reminders on Mac vs iOS, after a date is set, I use the Remember The Milk sync for management and rescheduling of dates. With the new Web Beta, I love being able to click through to the actual note in Evernote, but wish I didn’t have to go back to the task in RTM to reschedule or complete a reminder. 

I would love to beta test any reminders update, but don’t think the system needs an overhaul....however, it does need to be accessible from the web version (currently not available to view, set or update reminders in the new Web editor)

• Level 5
On 12/19/2019 at 10:42 AM, ASMFL said:

Will we be able to drag checklist items on mobile to reorder them just as we can on the new web interface?

I find that I am able to select and drag checklist items in the current version of the Android app--not as fluently as on the Web interface, and I don't know about iOS. But it does work. Helps if you use a stylus, depending on your finger-fatness.

I am completely against the forcing of the edit mode in us users. I think the solution for "pocket editing" is to keep a tracked history of the note. This is an unnecessary extra step you need to take to be able to jot something down. I understand that Evernote has a powerful Editor and I do appreciate it a lit but I still think this is first and foremost a note-taking app and not a document editor like Google-Docs. Please focus more on the Reminders they are way more important for productivity than being able to style something.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Chagai95 said:

I am completely against the forcing of the edit mode in us users.

I don't know which post you're responding to; the above video demonstrates a read/edit feature

>>keep a tracked history of the note

Evernote has a Note History backup

>>Evernote keeps a few versions for premium users only.

All versions from day one.  All accounts

>>I still think this is first and foremost a note-taking app and not a document editor

The Evernote editor is a note editor.  For note-taking, I use Notability on an iPad

>>Please focus more on the Reminders they are way more important for productivity

Evernote has a Reminders feature - What changes are you looking for?

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I don't know which post you're responding to; the above video demonstrates a read/edit feature 

Exactly what I meant. This forces me to click on edit before I add something to my note. Beforehand I could just enter the note and quickly add something to it but now I have to click on edit and only afterwards I can edit it. I understand if most users want this then it should be the default but they should at least add a settings option which can disable this.

>>keep a tracked history of the note

Evernote has a Note History backup

Evernote keeps a few versions for premium users only. I am not a premium user and I do not want to be. I tried evernote premium for more than a year and the note history lacks a lot. Take a look at this website, it is based on an open source project and there are many websites that use this timeslide. This is how a note history should look like and it should not be a premium feature.

>>I still think this is first and foremost a note-taking app and not a document editor

The Evernote editor is a note editor.  For note-taking, I use Notability on an iPad

I use Evernote to take notes AND edit them. Why would I want to use a thousand different apps? We already have Google for that and Evernote can not compete with all of Google products combined (Google Docs, Keep, Photos, Drive). Besides I use Android and I have not yet found a better note-taking app than Evernote on Android so maybe you can enlighten me?

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Chagai95 said:

I am completely against the forcing of the edit mode in us users. I think the solution for "pocket editing" is to keep a tracked history of the note. This is an unnecessary extra step you need to take to be able to jot something down. I understand that Evernote has a powerful Editor and I do appreciate it a lit but I still think this is first and foremost a note-taking app and not a document editor like Google-Docs. Please focus more on the Reminders they are way more important for productivity than being able to style something.

Hi, and welcome to the forums. In general, I share your perspective that Evernote is primarily for note-taking, not for creating polished documents. Yet I realize that what's important for my productivity (including reminders!) is not important for everyone's. Evernote is so good for so many purposes that they are forced to deal with a very diverse set of users and uses. More could certainly be done with reminders (e.g., snoozing, repeats); but a recent post from CEO Ian Small indicates that you and I are among a very small percentage of EN users who make use of reminders at all! As for note history, the people who want to be protected from accidental pocket editing (I am not one of them) would consider that a time-wasting workaround. Note history is expensive to maintain, for notes that are more than a few short lines, and I don't think it's unreasonable for it to be a paid feature. But I like one-tap editing, and it would be nice to retain the option to use it, as opposed to the massive burden :rolleyes: of that extra tap to edit.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

More could certainly be done with reminders (e.g., snoozing, repeats); but a recent post from CEO Ian Small indicates that you and I are among a very small percentage of EN users who make use of reminders at all!

I think this is very unfortunate, but perhaps this is as already suggested in this commenting thread because it is so cumbersome and limited in Evernote and also in all other apps I know? The percentage of people who use note-taking apps in general is probably less than 1% of the population but I was under the impression that Evernote's goal is to change this by creating a productive tool. I have been following reminders and notifications in many different apps and I have noticed huge progress in many apps (Google Keep with its location reminders, Google Assistant with setting reminders for other users, Telegram with sending messages, including to yourself, at a later period of time and in General there incredibly well synchronization abilities across all platforms and many more apps) but the Evernote team is actually going backwards in this matter in the new (beta) version of Evernote web there is no option to add a reminder to a note at all!.

Note history is expensive to maintain, for notes that are more than a few short lines, and I don't think it's unreasonable for it to be a paid feature.

I agree for notes with Data other than text, but then it should really be a proper note history like in the example in my last comment. The way it is now Google Docs is better and free. I do not think it is expensive at all to keep a text based note history and there are plenty open source projects which already offer this.

But I like one-tap editing, and it would be nice to retain the option to use it, as opposed to the massive burden :rolleyes: of that extra tap to edit.

So let's fight for this! what can I do? In General I would really like to see more settings which allow configuration, we can always argue about the default later but this is so easy and important! they have already implemented it all they need to add is an if else code block and a toggle button in the settings!

• Level 5

Yes, everyone who doesn't work for Evernote seems to know how easy it would be to make its code work exactly they way they want it to. For free, of course. Evernote is not open source, and the tiny text snippet shown on the page to which you linked is not comparable to the average Evernote note, which I assure you is not likely to be 100 characters of text only. As for what Evernote is doing with reminders--I clicked on the link you posted, please click on the one I posted.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, Chagai95 said:

Evernote keeps a few versions

A lot more than a few.  I have a work out note containing an excel spreadsheet that has multiple versions a week of history back to February 2014.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 versions.  Just a fact for the discussion..

7 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Yes, everyone who doesn't work for Evernote seems to know how easy it would be to make its code work exactly they way they want it to. For free, of course. Evernote is not open source, and the tiny text snippet shown on the page to which you linked is not comparable to the average Evernote note, which I assure you is not likely to be 100 characters of text only.

As I said it would be nice to at least enable text only. All the other data can be blurred away and the fact that this exists means it is possible and I would really appreciate the best most professional note-taking app to gave this or at least talk about attempting to achieve this instead of coming out with new designs all the time. I'm not saying this is not difficult for Evernote, but technology is advancing and if Evernote doesn't come out with this some other app will.

7 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

As for what Evernote is doing with reminders--I clicked on the link you posted, please click on the one I post

I will ;)

1 hour ago, CalS said:

A lot more than a few.  I have a work out note containing an excel spreadsheet that has multiple versions a week of history back to February 2014.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 versions.  Just an fact for the discussion..

Could you please elaborate on this? How often is a new version saved? Does this depend on how extensively the note was edited? Has this changed over time? I had Evernote premium a few years ago and this was not the case. 

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, Chagai95 said:

How often is a new version saved?

It's an incremental backup.   
At set periods, changed notes are backed up.

When accessing the Note History data, we are presented with a list of note backups available.
The screenshot is from one of my notes that's updated weekly882766183_ScreenShot2020-01-10at6_09_45PM.png.303388969b890d9e19c298e5c82ccaa2.png

The Note History backup is run multiple times daily, for all accounts
I run a similar backup daily at 7am

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

As for what Evernote is doing with reminders--I clicked on the link you posted, please click on the one I posted.

I read that now and all the comments, I'm very happy to hear that! Very curious as to what comes in the beta version regarding reminders! Would be lovely to see location reminders, maybe even user location based reminders? Adding reminders for other users when they allow it would be nice and very important allowing more than one reminder for every note!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It's an incremental backup.   
At set periods, changed notes are backed up.    
I run my personal backups daily, triggered by the note update date

I didn't really understand this. What does set periods mean? I asked how often and your answer is at set periods? Does that mean it is different for every user?

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

I don't think there's a set schedule; the best I can tell you is multiple times each day

I'm pretty sure this was different a few years ago. Does it save a version for very small changes as well?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Chagai95 said:

Could you please elaborate on this? How often is a new version saved? Does this depend on how extensively the note was edited? Has this changed over time? I had Evernote premium a few years ago and this was not the case. 

For me a history entry is created right after a change, unless I also changed the note a bit earlier (hours).  Then the change will be added to history on the next not specific time interval.  If you Change a note frequently you will NOT get a commensurate number of history entries.  Don’t know if size of change has an impact.  It’s been this way as long as I can remember, history to 2014 supports that.  

• Thanks 1
On 12/19/2019 at 10:42 AM, ASMFL said:

It was great to watch this video of all the amazing changes being made to the mobile platform and across all of Evernote.

Keep up the great work - the changes are inspiring me to use Evernote in ways that I have always wanted!!!

Thanks,
-Andrew

On 1/8/2020 at 12:03 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I find that I am able to select and drag checklist items in the current version of the Android app--not as fluently as on the Web interface, and I don't know about iOS. But it does work. Helps if you use a stylus, depending on your finger-fatness.

I use iOS so I didn't know that dragging a checklist was already enabled on Android - thanks for mentioning that!  The changes to Evernote Web are progressing VERY NICELY and I can't wait for the mobile apps to mimic the web interface!  An update to the desktop app will be appreciated as well, but I'm starting to move away from the desktop app due to how good the web app has become!

• Like 3
  • Level 5

For me one of the big advantages of the desktop app (which is the laptop app as well) is the local database. I use train rides to sort out things in EN, booking a seat with a desk in advance, putting on my ANC headphones. With the fragile internet connection from the train I could not do it. Using the local database and syncing later when I have stable WiFi works perfectly.

It would be nice if at least the iPad app would use a local database as well, allowing for actions on multiple notes at once like tagging, moving and merging.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

It would be nice if at least the iPad app would use a local database as well,

A partial database is stored locally by default; just metadata stuff  
There's an offline notebook option for IOS and Android  
I have a full local database copy on my iPad

>>allowing for actions on multiple notes at once like tagging, moving and merging

I support feature parity on all platforms   
Multi-note actions are very useful; however I don't see this as necessarily dependent on a full local database

• Level 5*

It would be nice if at least the iPad app would use a local database as well, allowing for actions on multiple notes at once like tagging, moving and merging.

Per @DTLow you can have complete DB on an IOS device if you use offline notebooks.  Not so much multi note actions. 
Account - Settings - Notebooks - Offline Notebooks - Download all notes

• Level 5

I already HAVE nearly all of my notebooks offline. This is o.k. If you need content, but it is like a kiss from your sister if you want to organize stuff.

Without the ability to select and manipulate multiple notes at once, organizational work is 1:1 and does not really „spark joy“.

• Level 5*

I already HAVE nearly all of my notebooks offline. This is o.k. If you need content, but it is like a kiss from your sister if you want to organize stuff.

Without the ability to select and manipulate multiple notes at once, organizational work is 1:1 and does not really „spark joy“.

Just responding to the bit of the first post quoted below which MIGHT confuse a newbie.  

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It would be nice if at least the iPad app would use a local database as well

I do all my heavy lifting on my laptop, docked or not, or a Surface.  iPad is for simple stuff or searching mostly.  Without offline notebooks.

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, CalS said:

I do all my heavy lifting on my laptop, docked or not, or a Surface.  iPad is for simple stuff or searching mostly.

Likewise (heavy lifting); I use Evernote on a Mac Mini desktop, with an iPad as my mobile device   
Features are improving, but I don't recommend IOS/Android/Web as your sole Evernote platform

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

Likewise (heavy lifting); I use Evernote on a Mac Mini desktop, with an iPad as my mobile device   
Features are improving, but I don't recommend IOS/Android/Web as your sole Evernote platform

But the thing is that mobile devices got so much better over time that people (including myself) are moving away from PCs or Macs. iOS devices are so powerful and capable to do anything. At the same time we have invested so much time in Evernote and there is also a brand loyalty in most of us that makes it so hard to leave. And I don’t want to leave. I just want EN to become a mobile first platform.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Giallou said:

But the thing is that mobile devices got so much better over time that people (including myself) are moving away from PCs or Macs. iOS devices are so powerful and capable to do anything. At the same time we have invested so much time in Evernote and there is also a brand loyalty in most of us that makes it so hard to leave. And I don’t want to leave. I just want EN to become a mobile first platform.

No disagreement with any of that.  I'm just not sure that with my fingers I would ever be as productive on an IOS device as I am with a mouse.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, CalS said:

I'm just not sure that with my fingers I would ever be as productive on an IOS device as I am with a mouse. 

Same here.  I'm a fairly recent convert over to a Mac and there are still times when I'll hook up a mouse instead of using the touch pad.  Too many years with a mouse I guess...

• Level 5

Hot contender: Using an iPad with sidecar as an additional monitor for the MacBook Pro. Touch is enabled, so the choice is mouse, touchpad or pencil / finger as long as something is displayed on the iPad "monitor".

What I really like is the opportunity to always have a second screen ready with the iPad when out of the office. Drives up mobile productivity without any additional hardware.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Hot contender: Using an iPad with sidecar as an additional monitor for the MacBook Pro. Touch is enabled, so the choice is mouse, touchpad or pencil / finger as long as something is displayed on the iPad "monitor".

I guess I have got used to leaning back in a desk chair, mouse in hand, keyboard nearby, and not having to touch a screen when in "work" mode.  One ear bud in for phone, two for music.  Horses for courses.  🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Indeed to this, yet furthermore, a major new component for me this year has been the more "semantic" editorial manager in the web customer that is ideally coming soon to different customers. I was unable to utilize Evernote as a genuine note-taking and drafting device without it. (Before this went along I was simply utilizing Evernote for web cutting, and continued invigorating the "H1, H2, H3" string to search for any expectation around there!) 

It may sound fundamental or essential to certain people on here yet actually has the effect for me between utilizing EN or not!