Intitle search with ampersand fails

Don0819

Idea

I am doing a Note search like this --> intitle:"AT&T" (also tried intitle:AT&T), and while both return the identical results, at least 80% of the notes returned are incorrect. How would I search for note with AT&T in the title?

I don't readily see a pattern - some of the titles returned:

- Don’t expect to see Apple’s new 16-inch MacBook Pro until 2021

- Wall Street won’t tell you, but U.S. stocks are underperforming - MarketWatch

- NBA Daily: It Still Isn't Time To Expand The NBA | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News

- I Mentored Zuckerberg, But Can't Stay Silent About Facebook

- Premier League's mid-table problem is one it can't continue to ignore

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Don0819 said:

intitle:"AT&T" (also tried intitle:AT&T), and while both return the identical results, at least 80% of the notes returned are incorrect.

Evernote's search indexing excludes special characters, except for underscore
Stop words are also dropped

A search for AT&T converts to AT T
I suspect AT is a stop word, so the search becomes T

• Level 5

Sure - you are in fact searching for „at“ and for „t“. What would you expect ... ?

One possibility is search for words that are specific to the content you are looking for, but better for the search syntax.

Another is tagging, and search for the tag, probably in combination with text.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Don0819 said:

I am doing a Note search like this --> intitle:"AT&T" (also tried intitle:AT&T), and while both return the identical results, at least 80% of the notes returned are incorrect. How would I search for note with AT&T in the title?

I don't readily see a pattern - some of the titles returned:

- Don’t expect to see Apple’s new 16-inch MacBook Pro until 2021

- Wall Street won’t tell you, but U.S. stocks are underperforming - MarketWatch

- NBA Daily: It Still Isn't Time To Expand The NBA | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News

- I Mentored Zuckerberg, But Can't Stay Silent About Facebook

- Premier League's mid-table problem is one it can't continue to ignore

You sure about the search term?  None of the above should be returned by intitle"at&t" or intitle"at t".  None of the words start with at.  Seems to be working for me.  Could you post a screenshot?

ScreenClip.png.6d25ee5469b9785dcbf2d040b8dbeec9.png     ScreenClip.png.1c3012b4a8e98734c0e583302f312942.png

ScreenClip.png.816907ffd8858f9cdc5031ff31aa14d2.png

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Don0819 said:

Sure - I did this on Evernote/Mac, maybe that matters. I did a search just in one notebook stack, but as you can see every article returned that's showing is wrong:

The above is from Windows.  Perhaps one of the Mac users can run an actual test.  No doubt what you see in the screen shots is wrong.  There's no AT&T in sight, in any form.

I ran a quick intitle"at&t" test on my phone an got similar results, though 30 more notes, which makes little sense to me....  Leave that for another day.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Don0819 said:

Here's a sample from a notebook, note the search in the top right and all the results that show are wrong. This is Evernote/Mac.

We're supposed to see search results highlighted, but that seems screwed up

As I posted above, I think your search has become T
dropped because it's a special character
AT dropped because it's a stop word

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

We're supposed to see search results highlighted, but that seems screwed up

As I posted above, I think your search has become T
dropped because it's a special character
AT dropped because it's a stop word

In that case should it return nothing as opposed to gibberish relative to the search term?

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Don0819 said:

The more fundamental question is, how does one search on AT&T? Search is a pretty crucial function in Evernote, while I recognize it doesn't work now it and other examples need to be addressed.

Using Evernote, you don't type AT&T with the expectation it can be retrieved with a text search     
It is what it is  (please don't shoot the messenger)

You can assign tag:AT&T to these notes    
Tag searches leave no room for weird interpretation 

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Don0819 said:

The more fundamental question is, how does one search on AT&T? Search is a pretty crucial function in Evernote, while I recognize it doesn't work now it and other examples need to be addressed.

Fundamentally only workarounds in that the only searchable special character in EN is the underscore.  

There is some weirdness in Windows as well.  For me a search for AT&T returns 12.414 notes, which seems to include notes that have at followed by any word starting with t in the note, so a at t search.  A search for "AT&T" returns 634 notes, which seems to catch AT&T (even screen clips from my phone from Pandora). 

I think wrapping quotes around a term forces a word match.  And for whatever reason on Windows, the word AT&T becomes the word AT T when the blank is substituted.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Using Evernote, you don't type AT&T with the expectation it can be retrieved with a text search     
It is what it is  (please don't shoot the messenger)

You can assign tag:AT&T to these notes

Thanks for the tip, no shots fired. I would like to see a better search tool though. With these kinds of holes it’s hardly robust and tags are not a dolution every time.