The Place Where All Notes Go - Archiving and Sorting

DvirG

Hi Evernoters,

Having the year end in mind and some new years resolutions, I decided to take few (or more than few) notes off my immediate accessible account.

I tried to move them to another account, but to no great success, as they never got cleared from the original account.

So, I come to you with question to hear, what do you do?

When you change work, close a project or decide to move on in life, surely there is digital matter you'd like to leave in the past, but have it on your side in case you know you're in for a scratch in the old box type of journey.

What is your method to get this done and clear it off?

Thanks for your ideas...

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, DvirG said:

I decided to take few (or more than few) notes off my immediate accessible account...   
what do you do?

I have over 13,000 notes and see no reason to move any out of my account

I have a generic !Archive tag that can be applied to notes    
Using tag:-!Archive in searches excludes the archived notes

To archive tags/notebooks, I prefix the name with an x    
The tag/notebook isn't removed, but it's moved to the bottom of the list

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, DvirG said:

Hi Evernoters,

Having the year end in mind and some new years resolutions, I decided to take few (or more than few) notes off my immediate accessible account.

I tried to move them to another account, but to no great success, as they never got cleared from the original account.

So, I come to you with question to hear, what do you do?

When you change work, close a project or decide to move on in life, surely there is digital matter you'd like to leave in the past, but have it on your side in case you know you're in for a scratch in the old box type of journey.

What is your method to get this done and clear it off?

Thanks for your ideas...

You have to manually delete the notes from the first account if that is what you want. 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

To move notes from one account to another might be possible by exporting the notes as ENML, and import them into another account.

Since I have not tried it, I am not sure it will work, but maybe you give it a try.

One can export notes into a file(s) using the ENEX format,.  Those files can be imported into another account.  Then the notes can be deleted from the original account should one so desire, per the OP original question.

• Level 5*

I'd go with @DTLow - I don't have a process to 'age' notes out of my account - it's useful (sometimes) to have very old contact or product information available for occasional searches.  I will mark (tag) purchases and projects as COMPLETED when they get to that state,  and I'll delete forever any reminders,  notes or contact details that are no longer correct or have fallen out of date,  but my database is pushing 50K notes and growing.  

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I don't have a process to 'age' notes out of my account - it's useful (sometimes) to have very old contact or product information available for occasional searches.  I will mark (tag) purchases and projects as COMPLETED when they get to that state,  and I'll delete forever any reminders,  notes or contact details that are no longer correct or have fallen out of date,  but my database is pushing 50K notes and growing.  

Ditto, I don't have an archiving process or tag either.  Other than reminder searches my typical sort is by created date in reverse order.  If I ever do have a search produce a long list of notes what I want tends to be at the top of the list.  Sort of a natural "archiving" in place.  ;) 

If I do come across something that is out of date or now in error, I simply delete the note.  Easy enough for me to get confused without leaving wrong stuff laying about. 

Juice is just not worth the squeeze to me relative to having an archive process.  As long as there are no performance issues anyway.  🤷‍♂️

• Level 5*
On 12/16/2019 at 1:00 AM, DvirG said:

The taking off of the notes in my case is not technical, just really wanting to move on and close a chapter

If there are notes that you just want to move out of your account but might need them in the future, then I would export those notes into a .enex file and then just store that file away.  In the future just import that file back in to get access.  If you don't mind the notes just sitting there then no harm in keeping them.  I do use an archive tag for work projects but that is only for search purposes where I can exclude old projects from search.