Web Clipper interfering with Safari loading some web pages

I have Evernote Web Clipper 7.12.3 - only a couple days old.  Now I find some pages won't load in Safari with the clipper installed and active.  But, if I de-select the clipper in Safari Preferences Extensions then the pages load just fine.  I am not sure but this might be for secure pages (https://).

Is anyone else experiencing this?  Is there a work around?  So far, I have been deselecting the web clipper when I need to access the page, or launching a different browser.

Edit: For example, UPS won't load if Web Clipper is active: https://www.ups.com

hi since the latest Mac OS update - from apple this week, the safari browser is not loading content intermittently on websites, e.g. with the Web clipper extension turned on - apple.com site opens up - and no content loads.  Other websites are also experiencing this - intermittently with the EN web clipper enabled. 

With the web clipper extension disabled, the websites load, including apple.com and there is no issue on others. 

There is an issue with the web clipper extension - it may need updating to work with the latest Apple updates - 13.3 OS update and the iPad OS update, and the latest iOS phone update too. 

The screen shots - show it on and off. 

I talked with Apple - they say its not Safari, or my network settings.  

Would you check this please?

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 10.20.45 (2).png

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 10.21.44.png

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 10.21.44 (2).png

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 10.21.55 (2).png

• Level 5*

I can confirm your results - I have ticket #2983029  opened for this

edit: Feedback from technical support
Our development team is aware of the issue and they're currently working on a fix.

• Like 1

Hi - been using the Web Clipper extension in Safari 13 for a few weeks now. Most of the time everything is fine but I've observed some odd behavior that even happens when I turn off all extensions and content blockers except for Evernote Web Clipper.

An example is visiting ups.com. The page loads in the background but is not visible, meaning I can't see any content...it's a white screen. If I disable Web Clipper it loads. Same with the login box at my bank. 

I've uninstalled and reinstalled it a few times including after closing Safari and Evernote and deleting the Application Support files. 

It's a bazaar set of behaviors. Perhaps see if it's just me by trying to visit UPS.com? Am I doing something wrong?

• Level 5

@roughreviews @zachware @Locheil @Mailbuoy

Hi All,

I wanted to let you know that I've merged your reports of issues with loading/clipping from certain web sites using the Safari clipper into this thread.

We are currently working to address the issue you're encountering, and I'll follow-up here once I have more information.

Feel free to reach out to me via DM if you have any other questions!

I just wanted to say I also have this issue and I appreciate that you're aware of it and working on it.

For those who have this issue, temporarily disabling the Mac Safari Web Clipper does restore the broken site, so it can be a temporary workaround if you don't want to delete the Web Clipper app. 

I've had the same issue for hte past 2 days. funny enough it started with UPS website also. After an hour on the phone with apple care we disabled the extension & had success. I also had it happen on the Chevy website when I clicked on the Chevy Tahoe - it all went white. 

I have not been able to log on to my bank - First Direct - since the weekend and have spent hours trying to locate the problem, as it's only this website that won't load. It will not load on my iMac via Safari, but will via Google Chrome. Having reset everything including my router, doing restarts, clearing history and cache and numerous other things I was at the point of dispair in trying to locate the problem. The bank's technical support team have also been trying to advise. And then by chance I found this discussion, disabled the web clipper and the site loads immediately. I suggest that given the problems being caused that some form of e-mail notice is circulated as you did with the previous web clipper problem when Apple software was updated. Thank you.

• Level 5*

Got this email from Evernote support

I'm reaching out to let you know we've released a new Safari Clipper version to fix the issue you've reported.

The new version can be updated through the Mac App Store (open App Store > Select "Updates").

As part of my process today in trying to find the problem I ran Clean My Mac X including the updater. The web clipper I have now, which I've temporarily had to switch off, is version 7.12.3. So unless it's been updated again in the last few hours, I'm holding off turning it back on.

Edit :

Have just checked the App Store and the current version is 7.12.4 released today, so that sounds like the answer.

Ya after several days of wondering what was going on with Safari, I just fixed it by disabling the recently installed Evernote Web Clipper.  I'd say 25% of the web pages I browsed were not loading content, and the developer console was throwing hundreds of errors. (Mostly 404's, but there were many others)  Finally I remember that I had installed the clipper around the time it happened, and sure enough, as soon as I disabled it, everything began working again.  

I'm a developer too, so I know these things happen, but wanted to make people aware. (although I see others beat me to the punch).  I'm on macOS 10.15.1 and using Safari 13.0.3.  I also have the clipper on Chrome, which seems unaffected.  

Thanks

47 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Hi, with all the updating going on it is hard to keep track.

Did they tell a version number ?

Funny you should ask.  App Store identifies the new web clipper as 7.12.4. When installed, I still show 7.12.3!  (I uninstalled the old one before updating.)  In any case, it seems to be working.

• Level 5

Same result: 

Updated to 7.12.4 - however the AppStore did not show the update, I had to search for it manually.

The websites mentioned above work just fine.

Version number after the install ist still 7.12.3.60 -1.0.5. (30), taken from the Webclippers Settings page.

@Shane D. Hello Shane, could you please check on the version number issue ?

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Same result: 

Updated to 7.12.4 - however the AppStore did not show the update, I had to search for it manually.

The websites mentioned above work just fine.

Version number after the install ist still 7.12.3.60 -1.0.5. (30), taken from the Webclippers Settings page.

@Shane D. Hello Shane, could you please check on the version number issue ?

I understand the version listed on App Store is different than what it shows on Web Clipper. I totally understand this is confusing and I'll do my best to clarify this for you guys.

The new release is 7.12.4 release version: 1.0.5. I understand you may see as 7.12.3 - 1.0.5 on Clipper, but it's the 3 last digits (1.0.5) that identifies the new version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5

Thanks for getting back on this.

In general it would be nice to have a consistent release numbering between AppStore declaration and the numbers shown on the software itself. Yesterday I downloaded from the AppStore, with a 7.12.4 displayed as version number, and got irritated by the WebClipper itself still showing 7.12.3 ... Not always download work as they should, but the AppStore only displayed a confirming „open“ instead of „update“.

Another issue: The new WebClipper was not displayed by the AppStore as new update, I had to search it actively. I don’t know whether this is true for all Safari extensions, but it makes the task of keeping everything up to date not easier.

Interestingly my updates listed in the AppStore yesterday evening showed the availability of version 7.12.14 confirming a release date of 18th December. After downloading, the Web Clipper version showing under Safari extensions remained at 7.12.13 - although under Finder it showed it had been modified. I didn't bother investigating further to discover the extended 1.0.5 number as my bank web site was opening fine with the new version active. Personally I have no complaints other than it would have been good to have received a warning e-mail about the issue as soon as it was discovered. I wasted hours yesterday morning trying to work out why one particular - and very important website - would not open when everything else I was checking was working fine. During the elimination process I had two calls with my bank Tech Support Team as well. I'm just pleased the problem is resolved, but what I don't understand is how the issue was spotted in the first place. Why would someone think of turning off the Web Clipper to gain access to a website that wouldn't open? I cannot see the connection. Either the person who worked out the problem was very clever, or it was found by a strange sequence of trial and error. Anyway, this will be my last post about the matter - I hope - as all is working well now.

• 3 months later...

I use cleanmymac x for updating my software, and this web clipper gives me a lot of trouble.

Every time it shows a version 7.12.4 is available, I click to update, showing successfully updated.

Then I open safari, the version is still 7.12.3, rerun cleanmymac x, showing a new version 7.12.4 is available.