Fix app refresh

Tshaka

Idea

I use Evernote for everything! One thing I use for a lot is capturing recipes I see online. The problem is that when I open Evernote on my iOS devices and I’m cooking, everytime the screen locks and I open the device back up, Evernote refreshes and I have to go looking for that note/recipe again.

You guys sunset’d the AWESOME recipes app you had and I’ve continued to use Evernote standard for recipes but it’s unusable like this. I see other people in discussions on this forum who use Evernote for note taking in class and experience this same issue.

And turning off background app refresh doesn’t solve the issue.

• Like 1

20 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 3/6/2022 at 4:26 PM, Volodinskyn said:

That depicts how the community is treated and how important their needs and opinions are for the evernote’s devs.

The community is perfectly entitled to contact Support for assistance and get some individual feedback on whether it's possible.

The community should probably also look at other providers to see whether their apps perform better.  It's pointless to continue using software that doesn't behave in the way you need it to - either report the issue and see whether it can be fixed,  or find something better...

Forums are mainly user 2 user - subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (or use the feedback option in the mobile client). 

This feature request is valid for much more uses than recipes. Here's a list of where I have trouble because it doesn't re-open at the exact same location: 

- Compiling a list out of the internet, e.g. possible fashion, furniture, plants to buy. Each time I want to paste a new item after some more searching, I have to call up the note/position again. 

- Using a todo list on evernote, in my case gardening chores. Each time I've finished one chore and come back to check the next, I have to search for the note again...

- Using a packing list for a destination I go regularly, e.g. for skiing or the beach. Again, each minute you come back to check the next thing on the list, you have to search for the note again...

Anything used as a reference several times, requiring switching in and out of the app, proves the same problem. As far as I recall, in an older version re-visiting Evernote did lead you back to the exact place you were on before. This may be very helpful indeed. Better still: make it time dependent: any return to the app within less than say 5 min. points you to the same cursor location, after 5 min it points you to the start screen. 

• Like 1

Please, please fix this bug - I have the exact same issue as the OP. This issue is driving me mad! I cook from recipes in Evernote several times a week and this issue is making it unusable to the extent I am seriously considering whether I need to migrate to a more usable app.

It may be by design, as the only way in the current implementation to enforce a sync regularly (thus avoiding the even-worse experience of losing data or having to manually pick a version). 

But it is definitely annoying and means I’m using other tools at the moment to note down ideas in iOS. I hope the upcoming iOS version with the new editor fixes this.

• Level 5*
On 3/7/2020 at 12:09 PM, jonmarch said:

Please fix this. 

Has anyone from Evernote HQ ever responded to this request?

Evernote doesn't usually respond in the Forums.  If you contact Support and ask them a question,  they'll respond direct to you personally.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, bgolden126 said:

Has Evernote become abandonware?

On 3/10/2020 at 4:40 PM, gazumped said:

Evernote doesn't usually respond in the Forums.  If you contact Support and ask them a question,  they'll respond direct to you personally.

... if you're a subscriber.

On 3/6/2022 at 9:26 AM, Volodinskyn said:

2022. Still haven’t been fixed.

Hrm... It seems to be working just fine for me on my iPhone. I wonder what the difference could be. I'm on version 10.27 and have a subscription plan.

@Volodinskyn Do you have a subscription by chance (or are you on the freemium plan)?

• Level 5

The app functions are not depending on a subscription. 

When I am in EN editing a note, and switch to another app, do some editing there and go back to EN, I am exactly in the note where I have left. This is how EN works.

It was different with the old iOS app, from which time this thread generates.

My theory: If, however, iOS detects a low battery situation it starts to restrict background activity to reduce battery drag. So if trying with a low battery, or with an aged battery it may be that iOS cuts the EN app off.

If this happens, it is an iOS intervention no app can counter. If the battery is aged, it can be replaced by any authorized Apple service for a surprisingly low price. Doing so spends a second life for any older iOS device !

17 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The app functions are not depending on a subscription. 

I'm not sure what you mean with that as that's exactly the point of the subscriptions: to limit some app functions.

In this specific example, I was wondering if it maybe had something to do with offline support. Since offline is only available to a paid plan, perhaps there is some correlation with the way that was implemented that didn't allow a freemium plan to resume from the phone being locked or switching apps.

• Level 5

I am running 2 accounts, one paid, one Free. I have not noticed any difference, apart from the documented feature gap.

This thread is about switching between a current note in the EN app, and any other app. The currently active note is always fully downloaded, because you are working on it. 

And more important: The thread itself originates quite a while before the first release of v10 hit the AppStore. The iOS app of today has nothing to do with the app when the thread was initiated. The version of the subforum where this was posted is not running on any iOS device today - except outdated, very old ones (iPhone 6 and older).

All this "Has not been fixed" in my opinion is simply thin hot air. Nobody provides anything but "Hohoho, has not been fixed". I test stuff before I post - I took the video posted in the thread and tried to reproduce it. I was not able to reproduce what was showing in the video.

As I see it, it is a cold case - anybody who believes he still suffers may go talking to support.