The "Email a Copy…" feature is broken.

soundsgoodtome

I'm in 7.14 Beta 2, and every time I use the "Email a Copy" feature, I get an email stating that the email (the shared note) was returned (to Evernote) as undeliverable and that I should check for typos and such.

Ironically, the email address that ostensibly failed is listed at the bottom of that notice—and the addresses listed are correct every time. I'm not typing the addresses; they're auto-completed in Evernote from my contacts. I've now tried sending this note to three different addresses, and I get the same results each time: The "undeliverable" notice with the correctly spelled address listed at the bottom.

Incidentally, in lieu of this broken feature, I tried using "Share Note…" instead. I happened to be on the phone with the recipient, so I could hear his reactions in real time. He's very tech savvy, but doesn't have an Evernote account. He was immediately put off by the invitation to create an account, so he opted to sign in with Google. After that, he was still invited to download the Evernote app, which he did not want to do. (I wasn't taking notes, so I may not have the exact sequence of events exactly correct.) Finally he was attempting to load the note in his browser, and he said he saw a green progress bar making its way slowly across the top of the screen. But ultimately he became exasperated with the entire process and gave up. In the end (5 or more minutes later), I just copied the note's contents and emailed it to him.

I think this is useful feedback. Sharing a note (for read-only, not for editing) should NOT be so cumbersome for the recipient. Based upon this experience, I'm far, far less likely to attempt to "share" a note in the future, not wanting to make anyone jump through such hoops.

But if "Email a Copy" had worked as expected, I wouldn't have had to bother with sharing at all.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, soundsgoodtome said:

I'm in 7.14 Beta 2, and every time I use the "Email a Copy" feature, I get an email stating that the email (the shared note) was returned (to Evernote) as undeliverable and that I should check for typos and such.

I was unable to duplicate your results
Email was successfully received, with a cc to myself

On 12/9/2019 at 10:31 PM, DTLow said:

I was unable to duplicate your results
Email was successfully received, with a cc to myself

I received the attached error message after three failed attempts to email a note to three, different recipients. In each case the referenced email address was correct.

I stand by my bug report.

Evernote Error.png

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, soundsgoodtome said:

after three failed attempts to email a note to three, different recipients

I DM'd you my email address.  Try sending a note to me

UPDATE:

The note I was attempting to email (that resulted in the error messages) contained a combination of text and ~65 images, totaling ~25MB. I've since determined that smaller notes do in fact email successfully, so there's something about emailing this larger message that is causing the errors.

I have not determined a particular threshold at which the emailing of notes begins to fail, but clearly the wording of the error message that we're sent—particularly the suggestion that email addresses may be incorrect—is problematic.

Furthermore, since as a last resort I literally copied the full contents of the note, pasted them into an email, and sent the email to each recipient with no problems, this proves that there's nothing inherent about the note's content that prevents it from being emailed.

This suggests a bug in Evernote's emailing protocol.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, soundsgoodtome said:

This suggests a bug in Evernote's emailing protocol

You found a clue - the problem is triggered by the note size

I'm thinking "The email was returned to us" indicates the email was rejected by the recipients email service

You can check the mail headers for details

20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe the receiving System had a Limit applied. Although this is pure speculation - I have had no issues with the Mail feature up to now, but I am not on a beta as well.

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

You found a clue - the problem is triggered by the note size

I'm thinking "The email was returned to us" indicates the email was rejected by the recipients email service

You can check the mail headers for details

22 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe it is not a bug, maybe it is simply a mail size limit. I use several E-Mail service providers, and each has a different limit on the maximum size an E-Mail is allowed to have.

It seems you each missed this part of my post:

"Furthermore, since as a last resort I literally copied the full contents of the note, pasted them into an email, and sent the email to each recipient with no problems, this proves that there's nothing inherent about the note's content that prevents it from being emailed."

If Mail.app can email the contents of that note—and the recipients' servers did NOT complain—why can't Evernote?

• 1 month later...

I agree that Evernote needs to add features to be able to easily send documents (using copy or share)  which access centralized contacts. I don't like having to always type addresses. I use a PC  Windows and and Pixel 4. 

Paul

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5

Do you use a different mail client from Apple Mail, the preinstalled client ?

Then it may happen that your outgoing mail send from EN is in the out-box of the Apple Mail App.

If you do not want it to be mailed out, cut the internet connection before opening it. Then you can delete the out-box without sending mails that you probably send by other means already.

If this is the reason, it would be not specific to EN. I use the video conferencing app WebEx to invite people. My invitation mail got stuck at exactly the same place, and was send weeks later when I opened the Apple Mail App for another reason. Got more reaction than on the real invitation ... 😉