Linked Note Title Changes Auto-update Links

caffeineplease

Idea

I like that I can easily create order in a notebook by making a TOC. But many of the Note titles may need editing to make more sense when then assembled.

Can Evernote then be able to allow editing a Note Title in the TOC and changing it in the note? And allow the reverse. If I make an edit in the title in the Notebook it is then made its corresponding link in the TOC or elsewhere that link is used in my EN world.

21 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, caffeineplease said:

Can Evernote then be able to allow editing a Note Title in the TOC and changing it in the note? And allow the reverse. If I make an edit in the title in the Notebook it is then made its corresponding link in the TOC or elsewhere that link is used in my EN world.

Simple answer is "no".

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, caffeineplease said:

Can Evernote then be able to allow editing a Note Title in the TOC and changing it in the note? And allow the reverse. If I make an edit in the title in the Notebook it is then made its corresponding link in the TOC or elsewhere that link is used in my EN world.

Not a feature offered by Evernote

Third party Filterize has a feature the for dynamic ToC; the ToC is rebuilt and reflects current titles in the search.  I could script this on my Mac

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, caffeineplease said:

Thanks Jeff.

But I'm sure it is possible. Time is not a renewable resource. Everything Evernote can do to reduce user Friction is quite worthwhile. Everything should be mutable and Dynamic. It's my Evernote world.

It is possible but per @jefito not within EN.  Folks use an external app called Filterize for this sort of thing.   YouTube video.

I've read several requests for changes to note links, but I wanted to focus my request on this one simple aspect of note links.  That is, when a linked note's title is changed, it is not reflected in the prexisting links to that note.

For example: I have a note titled 'Blue' that I've referenced as a link named 'Blue' in many other notes.  I then change the name of the linked note to 'Red', but all of the preexisting links I have to that note remain named 'Blue'.  In order to update them I must find each link & manually update it by either manually editing the text in the link or by creating a new link - all of which is completely unmanageable.  I'm a long-time, full-time user of EN & use note links all the time.  If I'm mistaken & this is somehow currently possible to do in EN without using a 3rd party app, please let me know.

My request is for EN to automatically update/keep current all note links to match their linked note's title.

• Level 5*
On 12/5/2019 at 5:07 PM, enfan-01 said:

I've read several requests for changes to note links, but I wanted to focus my request on this one simple aspect of note links.  That is, when a linked note's title is changed, it is not reflected in the prexisting links to that note.

For example: I have a note titled 'Blue' that I've referenced as a link named 'Blue' in many other notes.  I then change the name of the linked note to 'Red', but all of the preexisting links I have to that note remain named 'Blue'.  In order to update them I must find each link & manually update it by either manually editing the text in the link or by creating a new link - all of which is completely unmanageable.  I'm a long-time, full-time user of EN & use note links all the time.  If I'm mistaken & this is somehow currently possible to do in EN without using a 3rd party app, please let me know.

My request is for EN to automatically update/keep current all note links to match their linked note's title.

Hi.  AFAIK you're completely correct.  Changing the note will not change any link (or links) and changing one link will not change either the note or any other links.  Deal with it.  This is the way that Evernote is (currently) configured.  At some future stage we may see more functionality,  but that is not available now.  If you absolutely need the feature,  then you need to search for another option.  Or you could use Filterize.

• Level 5*
On 12/4/2019 at 1:34 PM, caffeineplease said:

Can Evernote then be able to allow editing a Note Title in the TOC and changing it in the note? And allow the reverse.

On 12/5/2019 at 9:07 AM, enfan-01 said:

That is, when a linked note's title is changed, it is not reflected in the prexisting links to that note.

I'd want this to be optional.       
I use a standard  for note titles, and then adjust the link text as appropriate for various notes

An example is a receipt note 2019/03/20 Receipt !Vendor-Walmart  !Budget-Report [Mirror] $78.87     
The note is linked in my inventory note; with text Mirror $78.87

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

you can alter the visible text to say anything.

Though not highly recommended should you ever have to recover notes with links from backup.... Keeping links and titles in sync is important in this regard.  :(

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, CalS said:

should you ever have to recover notes with links from backup.... Keeping links and titles in sync is important in this regard

Notes are identified by Note-Id, which is also specified in the note-link    
My backups (Mac, html) can be searched by Note-Id.

Unfortunately this search is not possible within native Evernote      
- the link url and Note-Id are hidden and not indexed for searching     
As a solution to hidden metadata, I append a copy of the metadata to each note    
- the Note-Id becomes searchable.  This is useful when I encounter dead links1218472311_ScreenShot2019-12-07at2_52_23PM.png.2de959fdad2c6069ba58826b3e94dd4d.png

20 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  AFAIK you're completely correct.  Changing the note will not change any link (or links) and changing one link will not change either the note or any other links.  Deal with it.  This is the way that Evernote is (currently) configured.  At some future stage we may see more functionality,  but that is not available now.  If you absolutely need the feature,  then you need to search for another option.  Or you could use Filterize.

WOW, with so many posts you're definitely an active participant here, I hope all your comments are not worded as righteously as this.  I've been 'dealing with it' for years, that's why I decided to request it as a feature.  I believe it would be an excellent addition to EN.  And in case you missed it, I'm NOT interested in using 3rd party software to achieve it (again, an excellent ADDITION TO EVERNOTE).

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'd want this to be optional.       
I use a standard  for note titles, and then adjust the link text as appropriate for various notes

An example is a receipt note 2019/03/20 Receipt !Vendor-Walmart  !Budget-Report [Mirror] $78.87     
The note is linked in my inventory note; with text Mirror $78.87

Good point, I think making it optional is a great idea that allows users more flexibility in how to use it, the very reason we probably all like EN.  And thanks for mentioning the ability to edit the text of links, I forgot about that.

18 minutes ago, CalS said:

Though not highly recommended should you ever have to recover notes with links from backup.... Keeping links and titles in sync is important in this regard.  :(

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*

I may have... overreacted,  but the point is still:  if you can live with this - which you obviously are and have - then fine.  Vote for this request,  and Evernote will add it to a long list. 

If you can't abide the situation any longer,  then the highway beckons.  So far this feature has exactly one vote,  so I don't think it will happen anytime soon,  unless it's rolled into other updates that are ongoing.

Evernote won't (usually) comment on whether they're working on something,  or when it might be released,  so it's a question of voting and waiting.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, enfan-01 said:

WOW, with so many posts you're definitely an active participant here, I hope all your comments are not worded as righteously as this. 

@gazumped has been around here for so long, he remembers when Evernote customers were asking for auto updated link titles on their clay tablets...

• Haha 3
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, gazumped said:

Oh,  now...  😆

You missed a golden opportunity to point out who's been in the forums even longer... :) 

image.png.b36ece9918da7ff9a59c12fb8ee46836.png   image.png.769901afe0267b0df7e8479f1278c9e3.png

I suppose that puts me in the realm of cave paintings...

• Haha 1