Access unsynced notes on external HD?

My motherboard crashed before my Evernote for Windows completed syncing. I pulled the drive out, put it into an external-hard-drive enclosure, and hooked it up to another laptop (which, incidentally, also has Evernote installed for a different account).

I tried running the copy of Evernote that's on the external drive. It acts the same as the "local" version, opening the account for the internal drive instead of the external.

Is there a way to reach the external-drive account, that has the unsynced notes on it? I'm guessing there might be a way to:

1) Run the internal copy but point it to the external copy's data

2) Run the external version in a way that points to the external data

3) Copy the external data (wherever it is) to the internal drive. (I'd sync the original internal data first before I replaced or overwrote it).

• Level 5

This is beyond my expertise, but the fact that running evernote.exe from the external drive opens the account that's in use on the laptop ("internal drive")--assuming that I understand you correctly--suggests to my partially-informed mind that there may be a registry setting or environment variable involved. If you know how to pull a hard drive, put it into another housing, and run it on another computer, I'm guessing you'd be comfortable honking around in the registry. But hopefully someone more experienced in this than I am can pop in with some more specific and accurate advice.

• Level 5*

Hi.  So dead computer A had Evernote installed and you have access to the drive;  current computer B has a 'different' account installed (with its own user account name and password?) but can read A's hard drive.

Use the Evernote from computer A login on computer B's account,  you'll download a copy of the synced account A material from Evernote's servers.

Log out of Evernote and copy the old A account database from the old drive to replace the newly-downloaded file

Log back into Evernote (as 'A' account again) and  the old database should upload any new unsynced material to the server.  (But be aware if you changed an existing note to add new lines,  the original version of that note will now have an up-to-the-minute date stamp.  Any recent changes to the content would be overwritten,  binned as superseded.)

Don't forget to backup the Evernote folder on device B before you start,  and -if you don't want your data on that machine - delete the updated database when you finish the process.

• Level 5*

You could sign out of the account on the working laptop and when the sign in panel appears go to Evernote options and set the location for EN as the external drive location.  Not sure this works but not too hard to try. 

You can also move the EXB from the broken laptop to the same folder as the EXB on the working laptop, sign out of working, sign in to broken, sync to complete the update on broken and sign out.

14 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  So dead computer A had Evernote installed and you have access to the drive;  current computer B has a 'different' account installed (with its own user account name and password?) but can read A's hard drive.

Use the Evernote from computer A login on computer B's account,  you'll download a copy of the synced account A material from Evernote's servers.

Log out of Evernote and copy the old A account database from the old drive to replace the newly-downloaded file

Log back into Evernote (as 'A' account again) and  the old database should upload any new unsynced material to the server.  (But be aware if you changed an existing note to add new lines,  the original version of that note will now have an up-to-the-minute date stamp.  Any recent changes to the content would be overwritten,  binned as superseded.)

Don't forget to backup the Evernote folder on device B before you start,  and -if you don't want your data on that machine - delete the updated database when you finish the process.

But when I opened the Evernote from A while I was on B, where would I find the "synced account A material" and the "old A account database"? 

14 hours ago, CalS said:

You could sign out of the account on the working laptop and when the sign in panel appears go to Evernote options and set the location for EN as the external drive location.  Not sure this works but not too hard to try. 

You can also move the EXB from the broken laptop to the same folder as the EXB on the working laptop, sign out of working, sign in to broken, sync to complete the update on broken and sign out.

What is EXB? Is that the database of notes?  Also, what folder is it in?

I found a simpler method: Simply boot the laptop from the external drive instead of the internal one. (There are plenty of websites that explain how). This has the benefit of giving me access to everything on the old drive.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, ShawnVW said:

What is EXB? Is that the database of notes?  Also, what folder is it in?

Too late now, but the EXB is you data base file.  Location can be found at Tools - Options - General.