This morning I tried to look at the note history of a note, and I discovered, to my horror, that the note histories in all my many notebooks have disappeared (even though I have been a Premium subscriber for many years). Is this the result of some obvious blunder on my part? I certainly have used note histories in the past.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, wsp said:

This morning I tried to look at the note history of a note, and I discovered, to my horror, that the note histories in all my many notebooks have disappeared (even though I have been a Premium subscriber for many years). Is this the result of some obvious blunder on my part? I certainly have used note histories in the past.

afaik  The only action that loses Note History access is to delete a note
warning  Moving a note between local/sync'd notebooks deletes the note and creates a new note
                 Importing a note from an enex backup creates a new note

I haven't done a complete check but my Note History data seems intact

• Like 1

Agree with @DTLow delete note deletes the note history, and moving a note to another notebook is apparently handled as a delete. Could your history have been nuked when you moved notes around?

Backup and restore of the raw database files should preserve note history.

Exporting a note does not export the history. There might be a clever 3rd party thing that exports the current note, then exports each note in that note's history. I wonder...Importing notes created in this way would result in separate notes, rather than a note with it's history of notes.

• Level 5*

This sort of thing is why I keep a daily full backup of my notes - a moment's lapse on my part (or on Evernote's) might conceivably cause some or all of my data to disappear.  Local backups could be a life saver.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, gazumped said:

a daily full backup of my notes

I keep daily incremental backups - my personal version of the Note History backup   
My backups are in html format; accessed by note title

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

moving a note to another notebook

My experience has been you lose history if you move the note to a Local notebook.  History is maintained if you move a note among synced notebooks  

19 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Exporting a note does not export the history. There might be a clever 3rd party thing that exports the current note, then exports each note in that note's history.

Not a bad idea though this could be problematic in that the history is on the server not the local device.  Only way we as users can get at history is through the info icon.

Yesterday I got in touch with Evernote and had a lengthy discussion about the problem. Then this morning I checked in my Evernote files and the note histories had mysteriously reappeared. I have no idea what happened: did they make some adjustment in my account, or did they fix a problem that affected other users as well? Anyway, I'm relieved to have recovered this information.

Just got this note from Evernote: 

"After reviewing the information provided further, we were able to determine this was a UI issue rather than a data issue. Our engineers were making updates on the backend which temporarily disabled note history for some users. Our apologies for any alarm and for the disruption to your workflow."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1