BLCbbmp

Manual sorting for notes, notebooks and stacks

Idea

Please, even Premium members don´t have this basic and useful feature.

Using reminders and shortcuts as workaround is absolutely ridiculous. It´s pathetic consider this lame workaround in 2019.

With numerous notes and notebooks, in most of the cases the traditional sorting (name, date...) becomes useless (seriously, who in this earth needs an "origin app" or "origin URL" sort? "Reverse sort", are you kidding?).

People who say that one should use another app for priorize things should shut the F up.

7 replies to this idea

Maybe for notebooks and stacks, not so sure for notes.  Manually sorting more than 10 of anything makes little sense to me if we want to enter the realm of ridiculous.

8 hours ago, brunolemos.ssa@gmail.com said:

Manual sorting for notes, notebooks and stacks

Implementation of "Manual" sorting is do-able    
(already implemented for Shortcuts and Reminders)

Evernote has to add a sequencing field to the records for notes, notebooks and stacks  
and modify the UI for each app 

Stacks will be more work; there's currently no stack record; it's a text field on the notebook record

I don't think this request has much user support; the vote count will indicate this.   
The majority of users are unwilling to pay for product development   

Stacks and Notebooks are currently sorted in alpha sequence   
A work-around is to prefix the name with a sequencing character/number   

>>priorize things

Are you using sort sequence to priorize?
For my tasks, I use Urgent and Important tags (Eisenhower Matrix)

11 hours ago, brunolemos.ssa@gmail.com said:

Using reminders and shortcuts as workaround is absolutely ridiculous. It´s pathetic consider this lame workaround in 2019.

Thank you for your opinion; we all have them. Mine is that reminders were purpose-built to support manual sorting if that's what you want. Hardly a workaround, lame or not. Evernote's reminders work very nicely for me, thanks very much. Shortcuts and saved searches are also really handy. Of course I don't use a lot of notebooks or stacks because they tend to just get in the way.

With numerous notes and notebooks, in most of the cases the traditional sorting (name, date...) becomes useless (seriously, who in this earth needs an "origin app" or "origin URL" sort? "Reverse sort", are you kidding?).

Smart people use filtering to identify relevant notes, in preference to sorting: cut down your search space enough, and sorting hardly matters. And smart people understand why something called "reverse sort" might be useful (hint, "updated date" for one). Just because there are other attributes that you might use to search/sort on (e.g. "origin app", etc.) doesn't mean that you have to use them if they confuse you.

People who say that one should use another app for priorize things should shut the F up.

Um, maybe you should take a step back and consider that one catches flies with honey, not with trash talk.

Oh, and you might also consider changing your public user name from your email address to something else, lest you become a spam target.

I would appreciate this post to be deleted.

I just want to apologyze about the harsh speak.

About everything  else, the same answers that I´ve seen before every time this type of request comes up, that I totally disagree. And answers always embeded with some sort of arrogance.

Maybe Manually sorting more than 10 notes makes little sense for 126561 notes, but WILL make sense for the 10,9,8 or even 3 first notes, USER will define what is best for self.

Em 25/11/2019 at 21:07, DTLow disse:

A work-around is to prefix the name with a sequencing character/number

Exaclty what I have been doing. Much better 00, 01, 999 naming than manual sorting for sure

I realized that this request will never happen. So, I give up.

2 hours ago, BLCbbmp said:

And answers always embeded with some sort of arrogance.

As do the questions....

On 11/25/2019 at 10:00 AM, BLCbbmp said:

On 11/28/2019 at 4:58 PM, BLCbbmp said:

I just want to apologyze about the harsh speak.

Accepted, thank you.

About everything  else, the same answers that I´ve seen before every time this type of request comes up, that I totally disagree. And answers always embeded with some sort of arrogance.

This is a fair request, but don't discount the answers you hear -- they're typically from users who have long experience with using Evernote and who help out a lot of people on these forums, for free, on a daily basis. They know their Evernote stuff and their advice is generally worth paying attention to.

Maybe Manually sorting more than 10 notes makes little sense for 126561 notes, but WILL make sense for the 10,9,8 or even 3 first notes, USER will define what is best for self.

I think this is generally correct; you only want to manually sort -- via whatever means -- a small number of your note collection. But consider that using reminders to do essentially the same thing doesn't really cost a lot more effort, if any. You want to focus on a small number of notes, mark them as reminders -- they float to the top. You want to sort them manually, you can do that. When you're done with one, clear its reminder, and it's removed from the reminders list. That's how I use them, anyways. I think that if you give them a fair try, you might find that they are far from a "lame workaround".  I'd much rather use reminders than use the retitling workaround, which I see as awkward and inefficient.

YMMV, of course.

The ability to have the manual sorting of notes in particular has been requested over several threads in the last 8 years and does not seem to be high on the agenda for Evernote for some reason. All competitor products, OneNote, Google Keep, Simple Note all have the ability to do this.  

I agree,  I have seen people post good enhancement requests but get questioned why they would need this or be given several work arounds. In general, I think its just the community trying to contribute and help a fellow user. In fact, with regards to this manual sorting, I was given a work around of using number prefix like 10, 20, 30 etc and sort by title. I do use reminders but find it messy and too much thinking to use as a sort method. ie. having to pick random date/times that match the order you are thinking about then getting reminders pop up, that are not real reminders just put there to help you sort. Also the deal breaker for me is that on the Android app, you can't sort by Reminders so you can't get a consistent view on Windows and Android.

Its so frustrating for me that manually sorting is not possible in Evernote and I would goto another service if it wasn't for the fact that Evernote is so much better than all the others..