Problem with hyperlins (not note links)

Long time user (premium). On Win 10 Pro, 64-bit; got the fall update ver 1909 yesterday. I think that ever since then clicking on a link (to the outside world) which appears in a note fails -- nothing happens. Is this likely due to the Windows update? I can't find anything about it. Anybody else experiencing this?

• Level 5

To which browser the link should place a call to open the web content ? Clicking on the link should activate this browser (set as standard in Windows), and then the browser usually handles the connection to the outside world.

Since with recent OSes (MacOS as well) the handling of  security related issues was enforced, probably it is a security issue that stops the browser from launching.

In my case it is the latest Win10 with Firefox as standard browser. I have not noted any problems after updating Windows, but my PC is down for the night. So maybe I can give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks for the response. My default browser these days is Chrome. I also suspect some sort of 'security' issue - Microsoft trying to 'protect' us. There is no context menu associated with the Evernote links so I can't easily choose another browser. I might try changing the default to FF and see what happens -- but I don't want to leave it that way.

• Level 5

Maybe just give another browser a try. If the problem is gone, you can maybe solve the issue with Chrome as well. Sometimes uninstalling, restarting the PC and reinstalling solves an issue.

Maybe try Microsoft support - you could claim it is an update issue. Or try EN support.

I would try another browser but it's a bit of a pain to have to go through two settings of "default" - one to go to a new one, then another to return to Chrome. You mean uninstalling Evernote? Hmm... I did submit a ticket to EN -- but it's a weekend. I can just imagine the sorts of things MS would tell me. I would have to be pretty hard pressed to go that route. As it is of course I can *copy* the links out of EN then paste into a Chrome tab - just a pain, but not a deal-breaker. I'll see what EN support has to say, once they get round to it.

• I decided to try another browser. Windows made it difficult or at least extremely unobvious how to set FF as default, so I chose Iridium to be the default browser (built on a Chrome core engine). Then EN worked fine. I have now gone back to Chrome as default and now EN is broken again.
  •  

The problem is not exclusive to Evernote, as I have just discovered. Windows isn't even allowing Chrome to open an HTML file by double-clicking in File Explorer. Using the Open With... doesn't work either. MS vs Google!

• Level 5

Well, if I drive a Mercedes, it will not show me the way to the next BMW Dealer either ...

From my memory, FF will ask you during installation whether you want to make it your standard browser. One click, and you are done.

If I remember it correctly, you can set this later on as well. It is in Win10-settings, System, standard apps - there you can pick your browser of choice from those installed. 

I'm sure there must be a way, but it may not necessary for me to explore that any more [well, see my last comment below]. Also, as I mentioned in the last post, the problem is much worse, and is apparently nothing to do with Evernote. I assume other people aren't encountering the same problem I have since it doesn't turn up with Google. Yes, I may have to revert to FF for a while, till I can figure out what's going wrong.

A short note to say how this issue was resolved.

I did some more googling on the issue and found a post (on the Google Chrome Help site) where someone reported that the issue for him  was due to 'missing shared DLLs' and that running a registry repair in CCleaner had cured his problem. I have avoided doing almost any tampering with the registry in my computer, including any sort of 'cleaning', for many years. I used to do it occasionally, but that was long ago. However, last night I decided to try this myself using Glary Utilities Pro. I ran their Registry Fix Tool, including the Deep Scan which goes into the HKEY_ branches. It claimed to have fixed somewhere around 1700 problems. After that Chrome worked properly again.