Jump to content
shadowmoses

Location Sort Questions

Recommended Posts

I'm trying to understand the various location sort options, but haven't been able to figure them out thus far.

I created a set of ten test notes, each of which contains Google Maps coordinate information from various locations around the globe. However, only the "Address" sorting option would have any effect on the order of the notes, and even then the sorting order would seemingly be random. For instance, I live in New York but was getting further international locations appearing before closer domestic ones. The other sorting options---"Location", "City, State Country" and "Country, State, City"---had no effect at all.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here but can't put my finger on it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, shadowmoses said:

The other sorting options---"Location", "City, State Country" and "Country, State, City"---had no effect at all.

I'm wondering what device/platform has location sorting options?    
edit; this is an Android feature  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005037-How-to-save-note-location-information

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm wondering what device/platform has location sorting options?

My apologies for not including that information originally. I'm using Evernote for Windows 6.21.2.8716.

If these sorting options wouldn't work for location purposes, I'm wondering what purpose they would serve? I can't come up with any logical alternatives.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi.  On what basis did you start looking for "location sorting"?  It is possible to record where a note was recorded - which is more relevant to the mobile application than a desktop - in case that data is relevant to an individual user.  it's also possible to note where information is stored - as in which notebook - in case that is useful.  "Sorting" either option would group a lot of entries together,  but AFAICS won't add a lot to your understanding of the information stored in your database.

Share this post


Link to post

The help article to which @DTLow linked does say explicitly that location sorting is an Android feature. Yet, as @shadowmoses indicates, the sort options in the Windows program do include not only Location but several other location related options. Hmmm. Seems like an inconsistency; or else just something in the Windows program that is, um, "aspirational" rather than being hooked up to anything functional.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The help article to which @DTLow linked does say explicitly that location sorting is an Android feature. Yet, as @shadowmoses indicates, the sort options in the Windows program do include not only Location but several other location related options. Hmmm. Seems like an inconsistency; or else just something in the Windows program that is, um, "aspirational" rather than being hooked up to anything functional.

That was what I had suspected. If that is indeed the case, so be it. It isn't a big deal in the end.

 

19 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  On what basis did you start looking for "location sorting"?  It is possible to record where a note was recorded - which is more relevant to the mobile application than a desktop - in case that data is relevant to an individual user.  it's also possible to note where information is stored - as in which notebook - in case that is useful.  "Sorting" either option would group a lot of entries together,  but AFAICS won't add a lot to your understanding of the information stored in your database.

My idea was simply to be able to sort notes by their location relative to the current location of the device in question, whether that be desktop or mobile.

The reason I do not have the "Add location to new notes" setting  currently active is because I know there will be many times when I either do not have time to or would forget to create a note at the relevant location, so I figured it best to leave location-setting to my own manual process once a day in order to minimize potential confusion. Of course, I could always change that moving forward.

Worst case, I can do what I had intended to do on my desktop on my android device. However, for some reason I'm not seeing the option to sort by location on my android device (version 8.12.3). Any ideas?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think "location" is going to do exactly what you want it to do - sorting by that option on my Windows desktop just gives me all the notes in my default notebook,  followed by all the notes in my 'bills' notebook...  you might be better off setting up tags for each location that you're concerned with,  then tagging all notes created that day / in that location.  You can then search by specific tags for locations,  or do an any: tag:<location1> tag:<location2> tag:<location3> search (note there are spaces between the operators there) to cover two or more.  Some saved searches / shortcuts would speed up the process on both desktop and mobile.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

I don't think "location" is going to do exactly what you want it to do - sorting by that option on my Windows desktop just gives me all the notes in my default notebook,  followed by all the notes in my 'bills' notebook...  you might be better off setting up tags for each location that you're concerned with,  then tagging all notes created that day / in that location.  You can then search by specific tags for locations,  or do an any: tag:<location1> tag:<location2> tag:<location3> search (note there are spaces between the operators there) to cover two or more.  Some saved searches / shortcuts would speed up the process on both desktop and mobile.

Right. I actually have something similar to this in place already, but the ability to order notes by location could still come in handy in certain instances. For instance, when traveling within a large metropolitan area like NYC, a location tag or set of tags may still be too general for my liking. Of course, I could always go deeper with my location tag(s), perhaps down to individual areas, which may help to alleviate such concerns.

One of my expected use cases for location tags would be for individual food and dining, hence why I would prefer to be able to sort by location; If I'm looking for a quick bite to eat in downtown Manhattan, I may want to know the closest place I've been to versus all of the places under the relevant location tag(s). While I know I could use other services for this purpose---I've considered using Yelp Collections in order to have access to a map as well---my goal is generally to utilize as few services as possible if feasible.

Any ideas why I would not be given the option to sort by location on my android device? 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, shadowmoses said:

Any ideas why I would not be given the option to sort by location on my android device? 

Have a look under the three dots menu and "sort by" - one of the options is 'Notebook',  which is the equivalent of the current 'location' sort on a desktop.

I can't offhand think of a way to search a generic area for saved locations - the most effective way to view closest options would seem to me to be a map:  find a specific location or a general area on a map and you can quickly what saved 'pins' already exist in that area.  I know Google Maps provide a 'personal' map option and locations can be saved in my mobile.  (Other mapping options are available.)  I haven't looked into any of these with quite your use case in mind,  but I'd imagine one or other will provide the sort of service you want. I can't see how Evernote fits into this,  other than as a potential store for more notes or information about a location beyond the actual place itself and/ or a picture. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, shadowmoses said:

I may want to know the closest place I've been to versus all of the places under the relevant location tag(s).

You seem to be asking for a sort based on distance from the location information in a particular note. Evernote sort doesn't work that way: it only provides a simple ordering of notes based on some "location" information (could be possible City+State+Country, street address, or Latitude+Longitude as far as I can figure it out). Sorting doesn't give you a closest-to-x calculation.

To illustrate, imagine a spreadsheet that consists of a column of numbers. Now select all of those numbers. The spreadsheet gives you the simple ability to sort by smallest-to-largest or vice-versa -- which is what Evernote provides -- but to sort by distance to a particular number in that column is a whole different calculation. As far as I know, no Evernote client gives you that capability.

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, jefito said:

You seem to be asking for a sort based on distance from the location information in a particular note. Evernote sort doesn't work that way: it only provides a simple ordering of notes based on some "location" information (could be possible City+State+Country, street address, or Latitude+Longitude as far as I can figure it out). Sorting doesn't give you a closest-to-x calculation.

To illustrate, imagine a spreadsheet that consists of a column of numbers. Now select all of those numbers. The spreadsheet gives you the simple ability to sort by smallest-to-largest or vice-versa -- which is what Evernote provides -- but to sort by distance to a particular number in that column is a whole different calculation. As far as I know, no Evernote client gives you that capability.

I understand. Thank you for the information. I guess I'll have to go with one of my alternative options then.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...