Catalina Relocated Items

Hi All

I have last night done my Catalina update, only had my Mac a couple of months so a bit scary.  I now have the "reolcated items" folder.  Most of the items in here I can identify as being items, mainly PDF's, attached to notes in Evernote.  What do I need to do with them?  Can they just stay where they are?  Am I safe to delete them?  Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks

• Level 5

Are the pdfs still within of their respective notes in EN, or were they separated from their notes, and are only found in the folders created during update ?

Usually no matter what happens on the Mac, the notes should be with all content on the EN server as well (for all synced notebooks, not for local ones). But if this is treated as a note modification, it could happen that the server notes might be updated as well. So better check first.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, donnydl said:

I now have the "reolcated items" folder.  Most of the items in here I can identify as being items, mainly PDF's, attached to notes in Evernote.

As per PinkElephant, the master version of our Evernote data is stored on the servers (except for Local Notebooks).  I also have personal data backups 
It's an easy recovery if they're deleted.   

Personally, I haven't deleted my folder.   
I have no space problems, and it's not causing any problems.

Thanks all.  The ones I looked at still seemed to be there.  I am new to mac so I dont know where the Evernote stuff is stored on the mac.  I was confused to see them in there as I didnt think the "notes' where saved seperately on just in one block file.  None of them are ones that have been created on the Mac as I have done very little on the Mac not having had it long and I was waiting to do the Catlina update before I got into it.

So are you just leaving the whole of the relocated items folder as is?

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, donnydl said:

I was confused to see them in there as I didnt think the "notes' where saved seperately on just in one block file. 

On a Mac, there is a separate folder for each note.  The folder stores all the note files, in native format   
There's a small database file holding the metadataimage.png.762c5156d06407f0f64987887d68edcd.png

There's no reason for this data to end up in the "relocated items" folder

>>So are you just leaving the whole of the relocated items folder as is?

Yep; I've barely looked at it; I only had a few files

• Level 5

If you are not short on disk space, you can leave the folders at the moment where they are.

Somehow I find it weird that you have pdfs from EN notes in there, but who knows why they were picked during update.

EN stores all content locally on a Mac, so the files are all there, somewhere in your Library folders. You can locate your database folder using the EN client, and in there will be many subfolders containing all information and attachments. It is better not to interfere with this, although it is a local copy, and the master copy is on the EN server.

In general EN works fine for me on my MBP with Catalina. The only important thing is to give it all the necessary access rights, because it needs them to function properly. I always advise to install the client downloaded directly from the EN website, because I had problems initially with the version from the AppStore. The AppStore delivers the same program, but it will be running restricted in a sandbox mode. I uninstalled, took the direct install, and rebuild my data from the EN server. This was under Mojave, I do not know whether this is still true under Catalina.

Don‘t have too much respect from your Mac - it is not Windows, so your chances to really break something are small. Just get your TimeMachine running, and you can always make it un-happen by rolling back to before. Enjoy !

Thanks all, sorry for delay in replying, well not like you are all hanging around for me to answer😂

Have I missed something or has it seemingly rectified itself?  If I now go in the desktop relocated items shortcut (yes I  sure everyone else has deleted by now but Im taking it slow) there is now only the note telling me what is in the folder which is now just that.  If I search relocated I get the folder, that file, two random text docs and one item that I know is an evernote note attachement.

My plan of action for just now was to open the list of files and then check these against their notes in evernote to see if they were still there.  I know there were loads the other day otherwise I would have probably just ignored it and not worried about it.  It was only because I scanned through them and that I have literally nothing saved on the mac as yet, other than the programs including evernote (that I linked/logged in) that I knew this is what they were.

Also apologies for the many typos this is not a new thing for me and the mac I always do it!